Binbrook Triathlon - final test before Guelph Oly

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
casual-runner
Bill Crothers

Binbrook Triathlon - final test before Guelph Oly

Postby casual-runner » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:08 pm

Stats:

Age Group: 6/18 Overall: 44/209

Swim 750 m:
Time:16:32 AG: 4/18 O: 47/209

T1: 2:25

Bike 27 km:
Time: 48:39 AG: 6/18 O: 24/209

T2: 1:41

Run 6.5 km:
Time: 34:27 AG: 7/18 O: 63/209

Highlights:
It was very nice event. Weather was almost perfect (it was slightly to warm during the run), excellent organization, and of course Maniacs: Lovely Tracey (Mini-T) with friends and Mark (1triatatime).
Mark was doing his first tri and he has done it very well. He had a podium place. Tracy despite injury has finished strong and was sharing podium with Mark winning Athena category. Congratulations!

Mark has done swimming slightly faster than me but I was able to pass him on the bike course. Mark says that he will beat me on the bike at our next event (Kingston) and I am planning to be much faster during the swim. Here it is - Shallonge at Kingston :!:

I decided to enter this event just a few days ago, treating it as my major test before the Guelph Olympic Triathlon next week. It was good decision . I have learned a few lessons.

I was hoping to improve my swimming performance. Last year it wasn't going as planned. I couldn't hold pace in front crawl and I was switching to breast stroke - in my first event crawl/breaststroke ratio was 20/80 and in my second it was 80/20. I knew that this year it should be much better. It wasn't :evil: , but it was for different reason this time. I went of the course twice in the first 1/3 of the race, adding 50-60 meters each time. When I finally connected with the main pack I passed a lot of people and I wasn't tired at all. And of course this time it was front crawl only - all the way to the beach :P I love total immersion :) It is my first lesson before Oly - watch your bearings.

I was afraid that my cycling wasn't as good as it was last year. It improved :!: :) I was able to pass multiple cyclists and nobody has passed me :) It was fun. It would be funnier if there was someone to race against... to do this I must improve more to catch the leaders :)

I was planning to run 6.5 km between Half Marathon and Marathon pace. I realized early that running on the uneven surface of the grass is much harder than average trail run :shock: I was looking for age groupers to race - nobody was around :roll: Finally 3-4 km into the run I spotted somebody from my age group, as I passed him I told him that I am in his group and he should race me. He smiled but wasn't ready for the fight. He has finished 2 minutes behind me.
I tested in race situation my B-Tube head buff - it works great. I had it wrapped around my neck and I was pouring water on it at each water station. It was nicely refreshing. Buff stays cool and wet for a long time. Two things I am getting from this experience. Second lesson: as I was splashing water on my body most of it ended up in my shoes. I was wearing socks, which were holding water. Final result blisters :evil: :shock: . Third lesson: Two times I grabbed water from the volunteer screaming "water!" I poured one cup over my buff, then took another one, drunk some and poured the rest on my body, realizing to late, that they were holding heed in their other hand. Heed isn't so sticky, Gatorade would be much worse :P
Last edited by casual-runner on Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
My race log: http://itsmyrun.com
My training log: http://runningahead.com

----

दिवंगत
Bill Crothers

Postby दिवंगत » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:16 am

Great race Wesley! You went by me on the bike so strongly that I certainly have my work cut out in K-Town to beat you on the bike - and be able to run as well :) .

Congratulations on your result; it was a pleasure to meet you and hang out after the race, I'm looking forward to meeting up again in August in Kingston.

Cheers!

RayMan
Jerome Drayton

Postby RayMan » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:26 am

Great race report - some funny parts as well - you sound ready for the Olympic Tri!

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:51 am

I love reading your reports! So enlightening! (and not so-casual) :wink:

Well done - I think you're ready to put the hammer down! :D
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

a_beacher
Jerome Drayton

Postby a_beacher » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:04 am

1triatatime wrote:Great race Wesley! You went by me on the bike so strongly that I certainly have my work cut out in K-Town to beat you on the bike - and be able to run as well :) .

Congratulations on your result; it was a pleasure to meet you and hang out after the race, I'm looking forward to meeting up again in August in Kingston.

Cheers!

I was at Binbrook yesterday doing the try-a-tri and disappointed that I missed both you guys. I saw Mini-T in bike transition and then again out on the running course. I found Tracy when I was done but she told me you guys just left. :( Sounds like you both had a good day!

Casual-runner - sounds like you learned some very valuable lessons before Guelph. You are going to rock it! :wink:

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:30 am

Congrats! Great performance and some solid lessons-learned.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:36 am

Wes, I was so pleased to see you before and after.. I missed you "during" though.. you must have been too fast for me to recognize on the bike!

Take your lessons learned and apply them to Guelph. That's the fun thing about Tri. Every one is slightly different and you're able to take something new home every time you race. I did the wet sock/blister thing myself at Lakeside the week before, it wasn't fun with 4K, I can't imagine what it felt like on 6.5K! :shock:

Nice work on a warm, but beautiful day!
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

casual-runner
Bill Crothers

Postby casual-runner » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:44 am

MINI-T wrote:Wes, I was so pleased to see you before and after.. I missed you "during" though.. you must have been too fast for me to recognize on the bike!

I have seen you there. I tried to scream "Hi!", but my voice was gone after constant screaming "Passing on the left", "Passing" or just only whispering "Left" near the end. You seemed to be very focussed :)
My race log: http://itsmyrun.com
My training log: http://runningahead.com

----

gwnorth
Bill Crothers

Postby gwnorth » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:37 am

Congrats on a strong race. Great work and it looks like you learned a lot of lessons that will help you during your next race.
María

Burlington Chilly 1/2 - Done
ATB 30k - Done
Mississauga 1/2 - Done
C3 Caledon Sprint Tri - Done
Guelph Lake I Sprint Tri - Done

waynerdog
Jerome Drayton

Postby waynerdog » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:59 am

Well done and good luck on your upcoming oly!

horselady
Bill Crothers

Postby horselady » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:21 pm

Loved the report and the lessons are good ones! I will keep those ones close by my side for future reference!
Congratulations on the performance as well...pretty speedy in my books!
Good Luck as well next week! :D
" The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man" Winston Churchill"
2013 Plans so Far
Princess Half Marathon Orlando Feb 23
Run for the Reach Water StationVolunteer April 14
Spring Fling Running Thing April 21 10k
Gran Fondo Road Race July 20th
Ride the Rideau 100km Sept 8
Army 1/2 Marathon Sept 22
http://ridetherideau.ca/give
Smattering of horse shows

AlfiefromPickering
Bill Crothers

Postby AlfiefromPickering » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:57 pm

Excellent report Wesley. I didn't know you were into Triathlons. Congratulations!
I am in love with the President of Argentina .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhf5iInIWEs mamacita preciosa
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIZ39iEw80M. She is 63 is 2016.... meaning 10 years older than I. I guess I'm into mature girls .....

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:09 pm

Ah yes, like I posted in Mini-T's report, experience is the best Teacher.

Especially when it comes to Transitions.

Congrats on a great effort, and high hopes for a solid race at Guelph, Good Luck!

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:10 am

Great report, awesome result!
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:44 am

Congrats on a great race and report :clap:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:58 am

Love the report and the lessons learned.
Hula Girl is looking forward to the K-Town Shallonge :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Return to “Run/Race Reports”