Doonst does 2 races on the longest day

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Doonst does 2 races on the longest day

Postby Doonst » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:54 am

So we decided to do 2 races on one day, dgrant and I. It really did start because we wanted to do both races, and they happened to be on the same day. The stunt effect of 2 in 1 was not lost on us but was secondary.

Race one, Niagara Ultra Races half marathon. This was to be the serious effort, the PB attempt; the evening trail race was for kicks and laughs. I had done this one last year, great result, still my PB at 1:37:21. My sore knee had me avoiding even tempo runs all year until just 4 weeks ago, so I wasn't expecting much, but sub 1:37 was on my mind. Dave's recent speedy races made me aware that it might not be a close one.

I lined up right at the front. and was actually leading after about a minute. Eased off to a more reasonable pace, Dave and I hit the first split at 4:22. By 2 K he was gone, I did a 4:30, right on my goal pace. Then it started feeling hard, really hard. My legs, not usually a problem, were tired, no denying it. I kept on that pace for a bit, but quickly realized that it was not sustainable today. By the 4th split I was down to 4:46, where I stayed for most of the race. It was partly my great expectations, and partly how bad I felt physically, but by 7 K it seemed like a train wreck, or maybe a tractor pull. I have to admit to having dark thoughts, like bailing on the second race, and walking in this one. Then I realized, that as long as I ran a reasonable pace, I actually might finish. Second half, as 4:40s drifted into 4:50s, I actually started passing people. The end was in sight, not too soon for me. The fourth place woman and I took a wrong turn in a parking lot during the last stretch, probably cost about 15 seconds. Final time was 1:40:05, not as bad as I was thinking it might be out on the course. I even got second place male over 50, and a stuffed animal for my troubles. Not too crazy terrible for what felt like a disaster as it was happening. As I said to Lisa after, I'm sure nobody wants to hear me complain about a 1:40 half and age group placing. 15th out of 155, boo hoo. It is my third fastest half to date. Yes Dave edged me by a bit in this one. http://www.runningmania.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27007&highlight=
There was free beer and pizza after, the sun was out, good times hanging around. Saw the marathon and 50 K finishes, then scooted back to my place to hang out and rest in the backyard.

Race number 2, Summer Solstice Trail Run, Mono Cliffs Provincial Park, ON. It rained a deluge on the way up, then we drove through it. Still another cell blew in and the race was delayed from 7 to 7:30. Made for a nice slippery course. Heather my S.O. and some friends came along to this one, some racing some not. Bud the Dog was my big fan tonight.
The first climb was brutal, my legs were still sleeping. It felt like it was going to be a long slow race. After a couple Ks they woke up, and the whole way it kept getting easier and more fun. By the end I felt like I was flying; sort of a mirror image of the first race when only the first 2 K were good. It really was a fun course, some fast parts and many hilly, rocks and roots technical sections with windy single track. I am amazed nobody got hurt. My time for the 10.5 K was 57:53, again well back of Dave. I ended up 21 out of 54. Age group was men over 40, so I didn't place. It was a riot though, and we pulled off the stunt aspect of it without any ill effects it seems. It was a long day, home by 10:15, after pizza and beer I climbed into my third shower at midnight.

In the end, it was really Dave's day. His amazing results, sort of dominated, taking all the attention away from our wacky stunt and my zany clothes. Congratulations David, really so very, soul-crushingly impressive.
Last edited by Doonst on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

AlfiefromPickering
Bill Crothers

Postby AlfiefromPickering » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:59 am

Congratulations Sheldon. Seems that you had a great day in those 2 races. Sorry I missed you in Niagara.
I am in love with the President of Argentina .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhf5iInIWEs mamacita preciosa
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIZ39iEw80M. She is 63 is 2016.... meaning 10 years older than I. I guess I'm into mature girls .....

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:26 am

Sheldon, Sheldon... :snooty:

It was your day too! Remember that you're in a completely different age category than that young gun! Don't let that diminish what you accomplished.. sore knee and all.

Am I the only one that goes "awwww" thinking that you and Dave have matching stuffed bunnies though? :twisted: :lol:
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:40 am

Nicely done, doonst! A tough day, but you've got something to show for it! :wink: 2nd place in your AG. Nice! :clap:
I still find it crazy you guys cleaned up and went out to run a rough 10k on muddy trails later on Saturday. Insane stunt!
"Awww" for the matching teddy bears. :lol:
Ultrarunner again

RayMan
Jerome Drayton

Postby RayMan » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:34 am

Great results Sheldon! I think it's about time the young fella starts outpacing us older runners - you are doing an awesome job in your own category (umm except for fashion that is).

Hope to see you at the same start line this fall!

braveheart
Lynn Williams

Postby braveheart » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:36 am

In the end, it was really Dave's day. His amazing results, sort of dominated, taking all the attention away from our wacky stunt and my zany clothes. Congratulations David, really so very, soul-crushingly impressive.
....I can almost picture your facial expression while saying this!

good work Sheldon - you two are crazy indeed. You BOTH did well on the longest day of the year
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
Don't give up before the miracle.
**formerly campbellskid**

dwayne_runs_far
Bill Crothers

Postby dwayne_runs_far » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:45 am

Great way to spend the longest day of the year! Great racing and well, colourful shorts :-)

Dwayne
I run distance because I want to be in good shape when I die.
--
Friends don't let friends do anything stupid.
Alone.
Blackfoot 2007.

Sanders
Bill Crothers

Postby Sanders » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:59 am

Doonst, Doonst, Doonst!! :snooty:

As far as I am concerned, your half time is soul-crushingly impressive! 1:40 on tired legs. :cry: I dream of getting a time like that on rested legs with everything going in my favour. I have never "placed" in a race and don't expect to. If you tried to complain, I wouldn't listen. You kept up a damned decent pace on the trail run too! Bravo!

dgrant's accomplishments are amazing indeed, but your performance was not too shabby.
Next Up in 2010:
April - 21K de Montreal
May - Cabot Trail Relay Race, Legs 6&7

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:18 pm

MINI-T wrote:Am I the only one that goes "awwww" thinking that you and Dave have matching stuffed bunnies though? :twisted: :lol:

I have a tear in my eye just thinking about this :wink:
:idea: Can you and Dave bring your bunnies to PEC....please :D :D

Sheldon...you amaze me you really do. Course that's why I'm still your loyal and devoted No. 1 Fan :D :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Postby lovethehills » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:22 pm

Sheldon, you are awesome. Plain and simple.
"Only through curiosity can we discover opportunities, and only through gambling can we take advantage of them."

runningman
Bruce Kidd

Postby runningman » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:31 pm

Sheldon: It sounds like you had quite the day! a 1:40 half on a bad day is something to be proud of. As you know very well, some days just don't go as we'd like in racing. You've got a great attitude and I always like to read your reports because of your attitude. Congrats and I hope you and Dave had fun with your stuffed animals on the ride home!
"The body is a serveant of the mind"

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:38 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:
MINI-T wrote:Am I the only one that goes "awwww" thinking that you and Dave have matching stuffed bunnies though? :twisted: :lol:

I have a tear in my eye just thinking about this :wink:
:idea: Can you and Dave bring your bunnies to PEC....please :D :D

Sheldon...you amaze me you really do. Course that's why I'm still your loyal and devoted No. 1 Fan :D :D

I think they are in reality stuffed doggies. They aren't exactly the same:

Dave's says first place,

but mine has a hat!
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:40 pm

Aww! Cute!
Ultrarunner again

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:44 pm

Yep...I think they're stuffed doggies. :D
Sheesh...what does dgrant know...he doesn't even think C-Moss can read and type :twisted: :twisted: :evil:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:03 pm

I think runningman Mike hit the nail on the head... it's your attitude that has made and will continue to make you a good runner, and fun to be around.

Less than two years ago a 1:40 half marathon would have been a PB for you, now it's in the "I almost just started walking" category. You're a much better runner at age 51 than you were at age 49... begging the eternal question: What's next? 8)

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:00 pm

Good racing fine sir. And perhaps you need to talk to those "What Not To Wear" people. If you golf, I hate to think of your attire on the course.... :lol: :shock: :P
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:16 pm

woohoo! A stuffed dog to hold close at night! Congrats on both races, you guys are racing animals!
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:16 pm

woohoo! A stuffed dog to hold close at night! Congrats on both races, you guys are racing animals!
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:20 pm

I happen to like your sense of style! You're not boring, that for sure! :D
Congrats Doonst!
Thanks for sharing your longest day report! :D
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

getfit
Jerome Drayton

Re: Doonst does 2 races on the longest day

Postby getfit » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:45 pm

Doonst wrote: As I said to Lisa after, I'm sure nobody wants to hear me complain about a 1:40 half and age group placing. 15th out of 155, boo hoo.

:lol: :lol:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, boo hoo :lol: That's still a pretty fast time Doonst. No worries, I'll still cheer for you at the PEC shallonge, but do you mind if I put my money on Dave ? :wink: :P
"I'm not sufficiently organized or ambitious to do all the things you're supposed to do if you're serious. The more time you spend fiddlediddling with this and that, the less time there is to run." ED WHITLOCK

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:45 pm

If I told you when we first met, at Paris in 2005 that in 2008 you would be pissed after running a 1:40 you would of laughed at me.

You are very competitive in the Masters division of any race you enter, Great running Doonster!!
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

Run26.2
Jerome Drayton

Postby Run26.2 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:47 pm

Sheldon...great work my man......congrats!! 8)
"...twenty miles of hope, six miles of truth..."
21 marathons since 2001......up next, CND Army half-marathon in Sept. and Toronto Waterfront marathon in Oct.

bicycle.boy
Bill Crothers

Postby bicycle.boy » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:47 pm

Nice work, speedy times even if you didn't feel it at the time. Nice stunt work!
2008 season by: Euro-Sports.ca
2009 season powered by: sugar and adrenaline

Cabot Trail Relay Race - Leg 9 (17.84k) 1:30:56 (5:06 min/km avg)
Not Since Moses (10k) - 50:16 (5:02 min/km avg)
Rum Runners Relay Leg 4 (16.9K) - 1:14:32 (4:25 min/km avg)
Valley Harvest Marathon (42.2k) - 3:12:16 (4:33 min/km avg)

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:00 pm

congrats on TWO solid performances (and a stunning outfit)
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Magoo
Tom Longboat

Postby Magoo » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:08 pm

Almost headed out to this one. After reading the report, I regret not doing so. Love the bunnies. The summer is young. Keep up the good work.
I hope Sunday is a rest day for you guys.

Return to “Run/Race Reports”