Limestone Mile report

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Limestone Mile report

Postby AirForceRunner » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:05 pm

I didn't want to run this event (hate the mile), but with 2 recent race cancellations, suddenly every race counts in the points series I race in.
This was a double loop course through the heart of Kingston, and being Canada Day, fan support was awesome. It was especially awesome, as I had my first planned maniac sighting! Jo-Jo came out for the race to cheer us on, and wore her colors to make sure I could find her. Stumbled across each other during my warm-up, had a brief chat, and carried on.
The race...ummm, ouch!!! It reminded me why I hate the mile. I tore off from the line and for the first 150 metres, I tried to hang with the elites. Once I realized that wasn't going to happen, I settled into a sub-painful pace and hoped to hang on. I went past 800 metres in 2:42, and thought, hey...not bad. Then the wheels fell off. The legs went numb a bit, and the shoulders started burning like never before. slowed through 1200, but started to get passed, so I convinced myself that 2 more minutes won't hurt.
stepped it out for the last 150 with 3 (I think) runners at my heels, held them off to the finish. Actual results won't be up until tomorrow, but time by my watch was 5:44. Winner crossed in 4:24.
Thanks, Jo-Jo, for the support on this one. It made my day. See you at the Wolfe!!
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:08 pm

wow!!! that's speedy!

you held on pretty darn well!!

2:42 and a 3:02 is pretty good considering you went out so fast! ;)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

braveheart
Lynn Williams

Postby braveheart » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:20 pm

wow speedy!

Glad you met jojo enjoy the Wolfe
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
Don't give up before the miracle.
**formerly campbellskid**

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:36 pm

Rick,

It was awesome meeting you. Mind you I must confess when I saw you start out with the likes of Braden and Kevin I thought to myself..."what is that boy doing" :wink: :roll:

This was a fun event for me to spectate at. I did have a couple athletes ask my why I wasn't there as my alter ego Hula Girl. I responded: "Hula Girl picks her events carefully...she does not want to be taken for granted" :D :D :wink:

Yep...see you at The Wolfe :D Umm...could you send some of your speediness my way...I'm terrified of the 5km I'm doing :roll: :roll:
Last edited by Jo-Jo on Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:41 pm

Hula Girl is a dark side fan, not a running fan! ;)

I'm continuing my hijack.....

you're doing a 5k race, Jo-Jo?! :) cool!

I was thinking at the Smiths Falls tri race that I'm glad you didn't choose that one as your relay - the run is crazy - you thought the run at Riverkeeper was weird - this one is a Figure 8 - and goes over EVERY bridge in downtown Smiths Falls - has sharp corners, goes over sand/dirt/mud....wooden boards.....AND is only 4.7 km ;)

anyway.....great race, again, Rick! )
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:41 pm

great job! I haven't run a short distance race since I did the 1500 in high school, and I remember how painful that was!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Sanders
Bill Crothers

Postby Sanders » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:38 pm

Sounds like you knew in advance what you were in for. The mile is a great race to watch. Your time looks excellent to me!
Next Up in 2010:
April - 21K de Montreal
May - Cabot Trail Relay Race, Legs 6&7

cgraham
Bill Crothers

Postby cgraham » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:39 pm

The mile is a great race - 2 laps of increasing pain, one lap of misery and then 400 more.

Good results, congrats
2009 Highlights
Marathon - 2:54:05 (Mar 22 - Tokyo)
Half - 1:20:00 (Apr 26 - Hartwell)
5k - 17:09 (Acura 5k - Jul 19)
800m - 2:16.80 (York U - Jul 28 )
Now - Getting back my running fitness
My training log

Why practice running slow? It comes naturally!

"There are two types of injuries that we older runners get: those that we can run with and those that we can't. And if you're over 30 and don't have one or the other, you aren't training hard enough." - Younger Legs blog

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:12 pm

Thanks all!
And Jo-Jo...I will do my best to send speedy vibes your way, but as I'm now teetering between the 5 or the 10, just how much vibes I send remains to be seen.

And now I'll re-hijack my own post...
Irongirl...I actually emailed somersault about the inaccuracy of the 5 km route in Smiths Falls, as I ran it last year. They told me they knew it was short, and would essentially re-name the race accordingly. They didn't, and its obviously still short.
This is a big peeve of mine, as their races tend to be on the expensive side.
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

Return to “Run/Race Reports”