HBC Canada Day 10k: Vancouver Edition

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
eljeffe
Bill Crothers

HBC Canada Day 10k: Vancouver Edition

Postby eljeffe » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:07 pm

Let me start by saying this race was DEFINITELY a "C" race. I did the Victoria Half Iron just last weekend, and I have the Lake Stevens 70.3 Half Iron this weekend, followed by the Vancouver Half Iron the weekend after that. To shoot myself in the foot for this race even more, I ran a half marathon of brutal hill repeats on Saturday (in 1:35), then followed that up with a 2k swim, 60k bike, and 10k of more hill repeats on Sunday. But, you know me, I'm a serious racer, and I take racing seriously! I stayed off my feet in a serious taper for the ENTIRE day yesterday! I didn't run a step. :D :D :D

Now that said, me and my tired legs were still going to try and win this race, or die trying.... and have as much fun as possible in the process! I did run a 38:33 - 10k last week, so I knew I could pull off a magical day if the conditions were right. My 10k race PR is 39:38, but all my more recent hill running had me in 42-44 minute range. When I'm training in the hills, I'm not so much concerned with my time or pace, just the perceived effort.

This race was kind of a reward for me, a bit of a break from all the more serious triathlon stuff that I really have to get amped up for. It was expensive to enter, but you got a cool shirt and a finisher's medal. I've never had a finisher's medal for a 10k before so off I went.

I decided to run along to the Garmin and I set it up for a 39 minute 10k with the virtual partner. I lined up at the front of the pack with the other speedsters! They didn't stand a chance, I laughed to myself. I'm winning this race. The usual suspects were all there, guys I recognized from all the other races. It had been a long time since I did a running race, it's been pretty much all triathlons lately. I was pumped!

The gun eventually goes off and 10 of us quickly break away from the pack. It was a strange feeling... the gap was pretty big from the rest of the field pretty much off the hop. The first stretch kind of ran up a slight incline and around the block. I hit the 1 km marker in 3:23 and I was still in the lead group.

This is where I started to have some fun. I threw in a 3:05 2nd km and took the lead for a few seconds. The other racers stopped running and gave up in terror. Hahaha, no they didn't, they swallowed me up by the end of the street. But still it was lots of fun, hopefully some photographer somewhere at least got a picture.

The 3rd km we hit the seawall and I clocked in at 3:54. Then it got kind of windy and I backed into my regular pace. Still the field was pretty spread out by now and I ran the rest of the race basically alone.

The 4th and 5th km had me fighting through the wind a bit. I made the mistake of wearing the shirt they gave out for the race instead of my trusty old singlet and it was dragging me down a bit. When I hit the lighthouse, the heat really started to get to me under that shirt. Still, the sensible pace I had smartly limited myself in the early KMs had me reaching the 5 km marker in 18:27. My PR in a 5km is 18:59, so this was pretty fun way to open a 10km race. Portions of races still don't count for me in my official results though...

But going so hard was starting to take it's toll. I was starting to slip back towards that little man on the Garmin that I was racing against. The 6th KM featured my favorite hill from the Spring Classic 5K I ran earlier in the year... I took a 4:14 on that one. Ack, I did not want to see any KM splits that started with a 4, but by this point I knew I was cooked.

I hit 10km on the Garmin in 39:24 and then the little guy took his 24 second lead and gave up. But the race wasn't over, we were now in SUDDEN DEATH OVERTIME!! That is to say my Garmin had stopped pacing me, the clock was off and I was running blind. So I started trying to keep ahead of this one guy. He'd catch up and then I'd open up and pull ahead 20 meters. But he took the low road and I took the high road on this one split area. D'oh, I tried to reel him back in but the advantage from taking the shorter route was too hard to overcome so I let him go. I couldn't remember where the finish line was, but I think the course measured 300-400 meters long. I put in a kick at the end and crossed the timing mat in 40:XX. I got my awesome finishing medal and then waited around to watch the other guys finish.

It seems that my strategy on how to win a race might need some minor tweaking... :lol: :lol: :lol:

My finishing time? Don't know, don't care. My age group placement? Don't know, don't care. Did I run hard? I've never run so hard in my life. Was it fun? Absolutely!!

There is something zen about just going in a race for the fun of it and then not even looking to see how you do. I'll look it up one day to be sure, but today is not that day.

Happy Canada Day!
Last edited by eljeffe on Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

runningman
Bruce Kidd

Postby runningman » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:22 pm

Jeff: Great report. So the next is to go out with the leaders in a marathon for a few K?? :shock: Good for you to go for it.
Happy Canada day.
"The body is a serveant of the mind"

braveheart
Lynn Williams

Postby braveheart » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:23 pm

I really enjoyed your race report!
Good work!
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
Don't give up before the miracle.
**formerly campbellskid**

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Re: HBC Vancouver

Postby dgrant » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:57 pm

eljeffe wrote:I threw in a 3:05 2nd km and took the lead for a few seconds. The other racers stopped running and gave up in terror. Hahaha, no they didn't, they swallowed me up by the end of the street.

I see we share the same fantasies! :lol:

Great report, great race, great attitude!

Sanders
Bill Crothers

Re: HBC Vancouver

Postby Sanders » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:34 pm

eljeffe wrote:There is something zen about just going in a race for the fun of it and then not even looking to see how you do.
There is something zen about contemplating something that I will not likely every do.

Way to get out there!

(Someday I might run a 3:05 800m interval.)
Next Up in 2010:
April - 21K de Montreal
May - Cabot Trail Relay Race, Legs 6&7

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:38 pm

awesome!!

so, did you have fun?! ;)

p.s. when racing against garmin - always put in an extra 1% at least - i.e. 10.1 km in 39 minutes....although, it sounds like you needed even more than 100m......
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

cgraham
Bill Crothers

Postby cgraham » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:33 pm

Sounds like you had a blast. Takes guts to run a 3:05 2nd km for a 40:xx race.

great race report
2009 Highlights
Marathon - 2:54:05 (Mar 22 - Tokyo)
Half - 1:20:00 (Apr 26 - Hartwell)
5k - 17:09 (Acura 5k - Jul 19)
800m - 2:16.80 (York U - Jul 28 )
Now - Getting back my running fitness
My training log

Why practice running slow? It comes naturally!

"There are two types of injuries that we older runners get: those that we can run with and those that we can't. And if you're over 30 and don't have one or the other, you aren't training hard enough." - Younger Legs blog

eljeffe
Bill Crothers

Postby eljeffe » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:40 pm

Well my gal Heather spoiled the fun, she had to. She beat me for the second time this year, and I never live these instances down.

So here it is: I placed 25th/900 overall, 7th in my 30-39 age group, and I was the 22nd fastest male. Heather: 5th in her 20-29 age group and 19th fastest woman overall.

She is already making with the "someone needs to work on their 10k if they want to beat me" quips. To make matters worse, they accidentally seeded her in the wrong Age Group and she would have taken 3rd in the 30-39 age group and got on the podium! She said I have to post this in all my race reports, so begrudgingly, here I am!

On a side note, Team Duster seems poised to improve upon our Silver Medal performance in the Couples' Division of the James Cunningham Seawall race this October... :D

TEAM DUSTER, pre race team intimidation photos:

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:28 pm

Great story- nice race. Let me know if you figure out how to win a race. :lol:
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:05 pm

Great race, just think if you wore the singlet.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

Tred Miller
Bruce Kidd

Postby Tred Miller » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:23 pm

Enjoyed reading your report. Great race.
Live to Run; Run to Live.

AlfiefromPickering
Bill Crothers

Postby AlfiefromPickering » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:54 pm

Great race for you. Congratulations on knowing how to have fun!!
I am in love with the President of Argentina .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhf5iInIWEs mamacita preciosa
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIZ39iEw80M. She is 63 is 2016.... meaning 10 years older than I. I guess I'm into mature girls .....

waynerdog
Jerome Drayton

Postby waynerdog » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:48 pm

Great report! It's awesome to read a report that shows how much fun someone has had with a race! Well done!!!

Return to “Run/Race Reports”