Wolfe Island 5 km-UPHILL BOTH WAYS?!?

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Wolfe Island 5 km-UPHILL BOTH WAYS?!?

Postby AirForceRunner » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:53 pm

I figured this was a fitting title for this race report, as the heat coming back makes it feel like its uphill both ways.
WHAT A CROWD! I was not expecting so many folks, but it was great. There was just such a positive energy going on right before race time.
As the race started, the first 200 metres involved dodging around some of the kids who had placed themselves at the front. Once I got past them, I found myself at the back of the lead pack of 6 or so. It felt alright, so I just held on there. As this was my first Wolfe, I would soon come to learn the error of an over-zealous start.
I hit the 2 km mark at 7:30, and then my GPS conked out for a bit. Shortly thereafter, so did I. I walked the first water station and tore off for the 3 km turn. I lasted another minute, and had to walk again. It is simply amazing how oppressive the heat is coming back on this course. I'd heard the stories about it, but words could not do it justice. The heat, combined with my fast start, was now biting me in the backside.
After a 30 second stroll, I picked up running again, and fell in behind a young track and field guy (team shirt). For the last 1.5 km, I nipped at him, telling him not to let 'this old guy' catch him. It help both of us pick it up. I surged at around 500 metres, but let off shortly after, knowing I couldn't hold it. I sprinted with the track and field guy for the last 100 m, but his young legs got the best of me (Ackerman is what I think his name was).
Overall, given the conditions, I'm very happy with my time and placing. 20:25 for the 5 km, which was good for 10th overall, 3rd in my AG (though I could have sworn the clock said 20:16 when I crossed). And I sadly skipped out on a medal...anyone hold it for me?
But what was even better was watching Jo-Jo pull off the PB of the new millennium (IMHO). I won't say what it was...I'll leave that for her.
Last edited by AirForceRunner on Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:00 pm

Way to go... I do believe the term "pizza oven" best describes the wall of heat on the turn around. Right race director Jim? :)

Awesome racing all the same... congrats.
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

klc
Jerome Drayton

Postby klc » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:11 pm

Nice job in that heat!

It was nice meeting you.

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:20 pm

Been there, felt that. Great time considering!
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:25 pm

:cry: I didn't think to step up and get your medal for you Rick...I apologize :cry:
It was great seeing you. I can totally relate to your "over zealous" start because I did that too....and I should have known better...but I'm using the excuse that this is the first time I ran the 5km here (I've done the 10km in the past)
It was great seeing you...this is only the second time I've met you but I have to say you have a wonderful "energy" about you.
And yes...Marg is right..."pizza oven" is the way I like to describe that turn around point.
You and I have to figure out a M&G before the next race... :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:33 pm

Wow! You're fast! Great race! I saw lots of speeding 5K runners heading towards me as I was heading out - I guess you were one of them!

I hate to say this, but on the return part of the 10K it is DEFINITELY uphill in both directions. There was another hill after you 5Kers hit the turnaround which wasn't as steep as the first hill but still a challenge. I am pretty sure I walked near the top of that one. And then a gradual downhill heading towards the 10K turnaround. Problem is, that gradual downhill turned into a gradual uphill for what seemed like forever as we made our way back home.

Yup, that heat was like a pizza oven. Fortunately it wasn't very humid today!
Jane

braveheart
Lynn Williams

Postby braveheart » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:11 pm

speedy! Congrats on the time and placement.

I remember running the 10K one year and thinking out there how hot it was on the way out with the heat in my face- thinking wow at least the breeze (heat breeze) might be at my back...then came the turn around and WHACK it was like running into an oven

good work!!!!
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
Don't give up before the miracle.
**formerly campbellskid**

horselady
Bill Crothers

Postby horselady » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:53 am

Great time and placement
Congratulations! :D
" The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man" Winston Churchill"
2013 Plans so Far
Princess Half Marathon Orlando Feb 23
Run for the Reach Water StationVolunteer April 14
Spring Fling Running Thing April 21 10k
Gran Fondo Road Race July 20th
Ride the Rideau 100km Sept 8
Army 1/2 Marathon Sept 22
http://ridetherideau.ca/give
Smattering of horse shows

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:53 am

congratulations!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

cgraham
Bill Crothers

Postby cgraham » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:15 am

Heat is not fun in a race (or a run for that matter), but it sounds like you did pretty well in spite of it. Nice job egging that youngster on - sounds like it worked for both of you.

Congrats
2009 Highlights
Marathon - 2:54:05 (Mar 22 - Tokyo)
Half - 1:20:00 (Apr 26 - Hartwell)
5k - 17:09 (Acura 5k - Jul 19)
800m - 2:16.80 (York U - Jul 28 )
Now - Getting back my running fitness
My training log

Why practice running slow? It comes naturally!

"There are two types of injuries that we older runners get: those that we can run with and those that we can't. And if you're over 30 and don't have one or the other, you aren't training hard enough." - Younger Legs blog

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:27 am

Sounds like the weather we had there 2 years ago. Did you jump in the lake after?

Congrats on a great run!
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

clocker
Bill Crothers

Pain

Postby clocker » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:46 am

Congratulations on such a fast time. It was nice to have a rabbit to help pull you through the oven. It sounded like a cooker out there!
Ian

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:29 pm

Thanks all.
Now...that little episode of nipping at the young guy I talked about. Zoom photo got it on photo. I LOVE ZOOM PHOTO!!! You guys rock!

Me goading the young lad on

Both of us having a chuckle about my antics/tactics

They also got photos of the end result, but my pride can't handle posting those. :oops:
But what I really need to ask myself is...if I can be laughing at just past the 4 km mark, am I really running hard enough? :?:
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:40 pm

AirForceRunner wrote:Thanks all.
Now...that little episode of nipping at the young guy I talked about. Zoom photo got it on photo. I LOVE ZOOM PHOTO!!! You guys rock!

Me goading the young lad on

Both of us having a chuckle about my antics/tactics

They also got photos of the end result, but my pride can't handle posting those. :oops:
But what I really need to ask myself is...if I can be laughing at just past the 4 km mark, am I really running hard enough? :?:

Cool picture. That young guy is one of the "lads" that my coach's coach coaches... (hmmm...how's that for using the same words 3 times in a row :shock: )

Rick ...I don't know if it's in your family budget...but you would love training with Randy's group...they meet on Thursday at 5:15 at the RMC gym and do the run from there. PM me if you want info...and it's not crazy crazy expensive.
My coach Mike calls Randy..."the master of form". The group consists of a wild range of people....from ages 17 to 58 ...from real speedsters to age group athletes and people simply wanting to improve

Course...I think if you're laughing at the 4km point you are not experiencing enough pain :twisted: :wink:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

joe
Bill Crothers

Postby joe » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:31 pm

AirForceRunner wrote:But what I really need to ask myself is...if I can be laughing at just past the 4 km mark, am I really running hard enough? :?:

If I had known that I would have made sure to egg you on at the end! Leave it all on the course!!!!
Race Photos: http://www.zoomphoto.ca (Ask me about the RM Coupon!)

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:39 pm

Great run :clap:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:53 pm

Congratulations and well done, Rick.

scottp
Bruce Kidd

Postby scottp » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:20 pm

Great pics! and a good result considering you went over the edge and had to recover.

Cheers,

Scott

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:16 pm

Congrats on the time and the placement! And FWIW I think you should be able to laugh at the 4 km (or any other) point :) It's supposed to at least partly be about getting out there on the course and having fun. Sorry we didn't meet up - I did recognize you from your avatar but wasn't sure you'd know who I was.
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:31 pm

Wow that's speedy!! Congrats on the AG placement =)
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

bnn
Jerome Drayton

Postby bnn » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:04 am

Geez that's a quick time. In the heat no less - I can even see it in the photos, looks hot! WTG!
Just call me the thread killa

Return to “Run/Race Reports”