K-Town shallonge

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
casual-runner
Bill Crothers

K-Town shallonge

Postby casual-runner » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:09 pm

Stats:

Time: 3:40:05
Age Group: 8/22 Overall: 53/208

Swim 2000 m (+T1):
Time: 41:41 AG: 13/22 O: 79/208 pace: 2:06 min/100m

Bike 56.5 km:
Time: 1:39:48 AG: 9/22 O: 36/208 AVG speed: 34.0 km/h

Run 15 km (+T2):
Time: 1:18:37 AG: 11/22 O: 82/208 pace: 5:15

Race goal:
To beat 1triatatime (Mark) in swimming and cycling and to be able to race direct age group competitors near the end of the run.

Pre-race:
Dinner at Jo-Jo's. I met Mark and for the first time Jo-Jo. There was so much to talk about and so little time... Lasagnia made by Jo-Jo was fantastic. Mark still had dreams about winning the shallonge...

Race:
I arrived early to the race site, transition spots were preassigned, when all participants arrived it was very crowded. I met briefly La and 1tryatatime before the start. I hydrated myself well with Gatorade, coffee and some Infinit, I ate banana and energy gel just before swim start.

Swimming:
There was a large number of people in the water and some confusing information about exact path of the swimming course. I was close to Mark but lost him right after the start.
After initial chaos I had quickly found nice readom and I was shamelessly drifting of one or another person for most of the swim. After the half turn the person in front of me wasn't on the shortest course to the finish. I had to work alone hard for 200-300 meters to join main pack of swimmers. Drifting or not I was working hard to keep pace, near the end I dropped the "pacer" in front of me and had fast finish, although I probably could start this faster pace much earlier.
As I was pull out of the water my hip hit the edge of the dock. In reaction to the pain I immediately curled my legs and I had a terrible cramp pain in my inner right thigh. I was trying to grab the post on the side of a dock and stretch my leg, but strong volunteer who thought that I will probably collapse was keeping me off the post. I was trying to stretch my leg leaning forward onto that volunteer but I think that he took it as sign of a weakness and was pulling me up.
Suddenly number of paramedics surrounded me, they had obviously nothing more important to do ;) I just wanted to grab this post, and each time I try to lean toward it they thought that I am collapsing. I am not sure when I moved with them to another area.
After long time (1-3 minutes) they let me go. I was limping to my bike thinking that possibly I will not be able to ride it. I was so absorbed by this cramping that I didn't even check if Mark, who wasn't far from mine transition area, has already finish the swim.

Cycling:

The pain in my tight was strong and I felt like the cramping will happen again as soon as I will start cycling. To my relief I started slowly blocked by cyclists in front of me and the cramping didn't return during the whole race :)

The lift bridge was 500 meters from the start, I feared before the race that it will lift in front of me and I will have to follow the procedure to find official to register time of arrival and than again time of departure when it reopens. I was hoping that it won't happen, and it didn't, but the bridge's rough surface had shaken my aero bar bottle and it fell out of the holder. I had my reserve bottle of Infinit just in case :) but I decided to not use it later.
T1 Aero bottle in place:

Just a few days before the race I have decided to race this course on my old road bike, I didn't feel safe on my new tri bike. I added aero bars to my road bike. It was noticeable improvement. I was riding fast while in aero position.

It was near 1/3 of the course when I noticed that my GPS (Garmin Edge 305) is acting strangely. I didn't turn it on before the swim, and when I turn it on at T1 it never locked properly to satellites. It was showing 80-90 km/h speeds, losing satellite signal all the time, so I had no idea what is my speed. I was pushing hard thinking that if I am passing people my speed is probably OK. My post race average according to Garmin is 154.7 km/h :) and my distance 243.42 km. And don't ask about my max speed :lol:

I couldn't ride any faster and I wasn't holding or saving anything for the run. I was passing many cyclists. I wasn't sure where was Mark and wanted to pedal without interruptions. I decided to not reach for my Infinit bottle as it would slow me down and in addition there was one problem... I really had to pee. I didn't learn yet how to do it on the moving bike so I had to stop. I never stopped for anything during the race and I was surprised how many cyclists passed me while I was doing it. It was more then 20. I decided not to drink during the bike part - I didn't want to stop again. As we were approaching half turn I passed more people. I wasn't sure were was Mark. Around 2/3 or 3/4 of the race I have noticed Mark in front of me. I told him that the race is starting right now when I passed him, but he wasn't ready to challenge me. As I learned later he was dealing with some pain in his groin at this point.

I was racing hard. Without working GPS I didn't know what was my speed, and I was compensating that with harder work. Today, more than 24 hours after the race with sore upper thighs, I know that I left it all there on that biking course.

some traffic near the finish of the race:

Running:
While I was on the bike I had no idea how far behind is Mark, I was almost sure that he didn't pass me, but I was more assured that he is still an the bike course when I noticed that his bike wasn't yet on the rack. I did change to my running gear reasonably fast; in the past I had some issues with my time in transitions.

I forgot to take my hat, but used the head buff to cover my head from the sun. The buff was also cool when soaked with water, it was sticking to the head cooling much better than the hat.
I though before this race that I should easy run the 15K at my marathon pace (4:58 min/km). I started easy 5:10 on the first km planning to increase it later, I did second km at 4:59, but it felt hard. My confidence boosted when I reached first water station with Jo-Jo/Hula Girl on duty. All volunteers did great job during this race. The sun, the heat and the course become suddenly also more hilly. I struggled to keep pace of 5:20, racing mostly against my GPS ( for the run I had Forerunner 305 ). I passed 3 AG competitors, while only one passed me. 2 minutes after the half way turn around I spotted Mark, He was 4-5 minutes behind me at this point, we were not racing the run portion, but it was my confirmation that I left transition before him. In the last 5 km clouds moved over and with the shade I had more energy. There was also La heading onto the hilly part of the course, looking very strong. I left something for eventual strong finish end did last km at 4:53 min/km.
refreshing cold shower after the race

Post race:
I waited for Mark and La to finish. Both placed at the top in the Clydesdale category :clap: :clap:
Mark finishing:
La finishing:
I have seen Jo-Jo again during rewards ceremony thanking her for a great support :clap:
Awards ceremony:

Plans:
In the next few days I will have to decide if I am focusing only on PEC marathon shallonge or doing a few more triathlons.
My race log: http://itsmyrun.com
My training log: http://runningahead.com

----

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:08 pm

Way to prevail through some tough challenges Wesley!
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:33 am

Great race Wesley...I didn't realize all the challenges you had until I read your report.
The two times I saw you on the run course you looked happy and strong.
Great pics...thanks to your dw :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:39 am

Congratulations!! Great pictures and report as usual! Makes me want to go back to KTown again - perhaps next year!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:03 am

Thanks for the photos, Wesley! Glad you didn't get a penalty for riding without your helmet before the race! :wink:

I agree about the traffic on the way back down the final descent approaching the causeway lift bridge - that was scary! No way to pass slower cyclists and I was mixed in with many of the slower Short Course competitors at that point.

Congrats on a great race!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

a_beacher
Jerome Drayton

Postby a_beacher » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:26 am

Great race report and loved the photo's!

दिवंगत
Bill Crothers

Postby दिवंगत » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:07 am

Excellent report on a great race by you Wesley! :clap: I also enjoyed the photos, a race report is always enhanced with pics. As for the schallonge, we'll call it a tie this time :D

It was a pleasure to meet up again Wesley, see you in a few week in Muskoka!

Cheers

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:35 am

Great race, wesley!! Congrats on an excellent performance. I loved the report and the photos!
Ultrarunner again

Ed Fizz
Bill Crothers

Postby Ed Fizz » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:32 pm

Well done wes!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:14 am

Wesley, the race photos are up and I found this one of you:
http://www.derekcooper.com/people/ktown ... &index=138

casual-runner
Bill Crothers

Postby casual-runner » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:40 am

Thanks Lesley :)

----

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:43 pm

Great photos and report, Wesley! Well, have you decided yet? Are you going to focus on PEC or do more tri races????

ps. I was running in your area of town last week. looked for you, but to no avail. hope you're not slacking.... :wink:
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:56 pm

Always a great multi-media presentation, good job on the race.

Questions, why do only a few swimmers have green helmets? Do they make sure everyone has the same colour helmet? Looks like everyone had white except for a few greenies.

Now the more important question, do bikers really pee while riding their bikes? Guys and Girls? I need more details on how this is done. Do they pee while running and swimming too?

You Dark Matchers do some odd things.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:10 pm

Robbie-T wrote:Questions, why do only a few swimmers have green helmets? Do they make sure everyone has the same colour helmet? Looks like everyone had white except for a few greenies.

The green caps were in the relay.

Robbie-T wrote:Now the more important question, do bikers really pee while riding their bikes? Guys and Girls? I need more details on how this is done. Do they pee while running and swimming too?

Pee during swim: almost everyone will (I do)
Pee during bike: some will (I don't)
Pee during run: not many will (I don't)

casual-runner
Bill Crothers

Postby casual-runner » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:22 pm

doing it on the bike looks easy:

----

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:32 pm

casual-runner wrote:doing it on the bike looks easy:

For GUYS!!! :roll:

casual-runner
Bill Crothers

Postby casual-runner » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:36 pm

I like rule no 3 from ( just for guys): http://fatcyclist.spaces.live.com/Blog/ ... 3842.entry
Rule 1: Make sure you're safe from legal repercussions.
Urinating in public may violate indecent exposure, public nuisance, and disorderly conduct laws. In some states, you can become a sex offender for urinating in public. You don't want to have to knock on your neighbors' doors and notify them of your status. It's awkward.

Rule 2: Make sure you're riding on a slight decline.
If you’re going too fast, you don't want to lose control of your bike. If you’re going too slow, you don’t want to have to pedal midstream. You might as well just stop and get off your bike.

Rule 3: Learn the proper technique.
Extend one leg and rotate the opposite hip towards the extended leg. Free your member from the top or bottom of the shorts, and let it flow. Tap as necessary.

----

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:36 pm

La wrote:
Robbie-T wrote:Now the more important question, do bikers really pee while riding their bikes? Guys and Girls? I need more details on how this is done. Do they pee while running and swimming too?

For women, to pee on the run means you end up with squishy shoes. Better to run into the bushes.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

casual-runner
Bill Crothers

Postby casual-runner » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:43 pm

Some real life stories:
The fine art of on-bike evacuation
just a sample from there for women:
...Then while sitting in the saddle I just let it go, and go, and go. I took a water bottle and gave myself a quick shower in the shorts. It’s not as gross as it sounds—the urine during a ride or race is mostly just clear salt water. After a wash and a few miles of blow drying, I was good as new. I had discovered what most women already knew, the sit down and let it flow method. Probably best if you do this at the rear of the pack.

----

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:12 pm

BJH wrote:
La wrote:

For women, to pee on the run means you end up with squishy shoes. Better to run into the bushes.

Actually, at Lake Placid in '03 (after dark) I just stepped off the road onto the gravel shoulder of the road, moved my shorts to the side, stood with a wide stance and went (standing). I didn't have the energy to squat. It was dark. Nobody saw me. :shifty:

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:19 pm

La wrote:
BJH wrote:
La wrote:

Actually, at Lake Placid in '03 (after dark) I just stepped off the road onto the gravel shoulder of the road, moved my shorts to the side, stood with a wide stance and went (standing). I didn't have the energy to squat. It was dark. Nobody saw me. :shifty:

Avoiding the shoes is the most important thing.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:10 pm

Agreed.

I tried peeing on the bike once (on a training ride). It created such a mess that I'll never do it again. :P

Return to “Run/Race Reports”