ITT - very good T1 performance ;)

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
casual-runner
Bill Crothers

ITT - very good T1 performance ;)

Postby casual-runner » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:17 am

I decided to run 32K ITT race based on three facts: the first - it was matching matching my scheduled long run distance, the second - I forgot how tough was my debut trial race this Spring (25K Sulphur Springs) and the third - company of Maniacs: Robbie-T, strider, EdFizz and Doonst. I made my final decision on Thursday knowing that possibility of rain is slim because I didn't want to run wet. My major goal was to have a good long run.

After the K-Town triathlon two weeks ago (2K swim, 60K bike, 15K run) I resumed training for marathon while maintaining triathlon training. Last Saturday I did 32K long run followed by Sunday Brick workout of 80K bike and 8K run. I did all swimming, running and biking sessions for the rest of the week and wasn't tapering for this race until Friday when after swimming I decided to skip cycling.

My general plan for the race was to stay close to experienced Sheldon for 15-20 km and then do the rest of the race at my pace. I have no point of reference how to pace myself doing the trail race. I wanted to have a good long run, but as soon as I attached race number to my shirt my attitude changed and I wanted to test myself on this trial.

On the first loop I was trying to stay close to Sheldon and really forced myself to run slow on the first road part of the race. I was far behind Sheldon for the most of the first 8K loop with two creek crossings. I didn't like this part. My feet were wet and I had a lot of sand grains on the bottom of my shoes. The great thing about this race is that after the first part there is possibility to change shoes while course passes the Start/Finish area. Most people choose to leave fluids or gels in this area to collect it for the reminder of the race after this 8K loop. I decided also to change shoes for a dry comfortable run. I picked pace near the end of the loop passing Sheldon, changed shoes, attached fuel belt, Sheldon has passed me at his point as he was grabbing water bottle only, but just a few minutes later I was not far behind Sheldon. I was very happy with my T1 - I felt very strong and was really recharged for the remaining 24 km of the race.

I was running close behind Sheldon, at times with Joseph Hewitt who did this race 15 times before. I was suspecting that both Sheldon and Joseph are to fast and experienced and I will not be able to stay with them for the whole race. Around 12-13 km of the race I passed Sheldon. Around 15 km me and Jo Hewitt made wrong turn, we run 200 m following old course path. We were soon warned by runners behind and able to rejoin the rest of the field. I have noticed that Sheldon moved to the front at this time. He was 200-300 m in front of me. I was suspecting that I will not have energy to run at this pace for much longer. I decided to sprint to Sheldon to say bye for now as I was thinking that I will slow down soon. While still sprinting I passed Sheldon and I felt very strong. Soon I reached turning point (20 km mark) noticing that I am gaining distance. I decided to run fast for a few km, planning to slow down around 25 km saving energy for eventual strong finish.

This second loop wasn't easier to run for sure, we didn't have to cross river on this loop but my shoes were wet and muddy. I run the second part of this loop mostly alone and this is when it gets much harder. In the road race you just keep pushing until you reach the finish, during this trial race you have to be extremely focused for most of the race trying to avoid roots and to run safe on slippery wet rocks. In addition the trail markings are not that obvious and that's another element of difficulty.
I was really tired near 28 km taking walking brakes even on small rocks :) but I kept pushing hard knowing that I had a chance to do this race faster than Sheldon. I was able to walk past some calf cramps around 30-31 km and reached finish strong and fast at 3:25:09

I am very surprised by this result. I did this race on the go without any taper. I have two points of reference: one - my first and only 25 km trial race, and second to compare with Sheldon. This race is much harder than Sulphur Spring race, not only because it is 7 km longer. I was very strong up to the end of this race, while I faded on last 5K of Sulphur Springs. I finished ahead of Sheldon.

I think that my summer season of triathlon training and racing improved my running ability. I think that in this hard trial race all well trained muscles, even those specific to cycling or swimming are important. I feel very strong that my form for PEC shallonge is on it's way up.

It was my pleasure to meet Robbie-T, strider, EdFizz and Doonst before and after the race. What Robbie-T, strider and EdFizz do on those trials is simply amazing.
My race log: http://itsmyrun.com
My training log: http://runningahead.com

----

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:34 am

Great report Wesley. You describe so well how it is you can feel like you have to slow down but keep running anyways. Also, how you beat me, and very convincingly. Your endurance really showed, running the last leg so fast. Not everybody can run the rocks so well even if they are a strong road runner, you did that well too. Really very impressive, I expect you could do great things in PEC.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Ed Fizz
Bill Crothers

Postby Ed Fizz » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:20 am

Wesley, what a great race you had, and you seemed so relaxed afterwards. Congrats on a great result.

I got your PM and will reply shortly.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:50 am

wow...way to go Wesley!!
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

TheBman
Jerome Drayton

Postby TheBman » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:33 pm

I think that my summer season of triathlon training and racing improved my running ability. I think that in this hard trial race all well trained muscles, even those specific to cycling or swimming are important. I feel very strong that my form for PEC shallonge is on it's way up.

...ahhhh soon ALL THE WORLD will see how Tri'ing betters your alll over performance....HAIL TO THE DARK SIDE!!!!

..congrats!!!

Bman
The MARATHON GRAND SLAM!

London Marathon April 17
Boston Marathon April 18
Berlin Marathon September 25
Chicago Marathon October 9
NYC Marathon November 6

...raising funds and awareness for the EVERYMAN Campaign!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:33 pm

congratulations - that is an excellent performance!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:23 pm

I was surprised when I seen you coming to the finish, sure I was already showered, but I thought you would be a while longer yet. I just cam off a long race and you hadn't trained for this course, and it was your first time on it. Great results!! You are a stronger runner then I thought.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

Hermes
Bill Crothers

Postby Hermes » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:25 pm

Interesting report! I don't think I've read one of your reports in a few months, and my oh my, casual-runner has come a long way. (I just hope you weren't subtly trying to trash-talk Sheldon because Hula Girl will be incensed; not that I believe in false modesty.)

It appears that your Tri training is working wonders, physically and for your confidence level!

GREAT RACE! Shallonge is on! :D

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:20 pm

Nice job ;-)
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Smitty
Johnny Miles

Postby Smitty » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:08 pm

Great race! Hanging out with Sheldon on the trails will definitely improve your race times. I think you'll see the results in PEC!

runningman
Bruce Kidd

Postby runningman » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:55 pm

Great run. Seems like your hard work is really paying off and you are getting stronger.
Now for the big one at PEC!! That race is getting more and more interesting!
"The body is a serveant of the mind"

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:20 am

What a great report - you did amazing out there. Hope this means you are hooked and will leave the Dark Side, for the even Darker Side.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:21 am

Congrats!
:D
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

casual-runner
Bill Crothers

Postby casual-runner » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:36 am

Hermes wrote:... (I just hope you weren't subtly trying to trash-talk Sheldon because Hula Girl will be incensed; not that I believe in false modesty.)

No absolutely not. Just sticking to the facts ;) - I don't want to upset Hula Girl - I will need every bit of support at PEC and I am counting that if she is not supporting me at least she isn't against me :)

strider wrote:... Hope this means you are hooked and will leave the Dark Side, for the even Darker Side.

I love trial running, but I am scared to death knowing that it can easy lead to injury. While the Dark Side could be really fun especially when you learn all tricks, like peeing on the moving bike, it isn't as danger, that's why I am hoping to stay there for a long time.
With the Darker Side you have to be there to really understand how crazy it is to run on those, wet, rocky sections. This isn't the side for people with good imagination, because it would be easy to imagine all horrible accidents while speeding over those rocks. It isn't the side for people with common sense also, because you can easy calculate that probability of non injuries is close to zero.
I will be frequent visitor to this Darker Side :)
Last edited by casual-runner on Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
My race log: http://itsmyrun.com
My training log: http://runningahead.com

----

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:10 am

casual-runner wrote:
Hermes wrote:... (I just hope you weren't subtly trying to trash-talk Sheldon because Hula Girl will be incensed; not that I believe in false modesty.)

No absolutely not. Just sticking to the facts ;) - I don't want to upset Hula Girl - I will need every bit of support at PEC and I am counting that if she is not supporting me at least she isn't against me :)

strider wrote:... Hope this means you are hooked and will leave the Dark Side, for the even Darker Side.

I love trial running, but I am scared to death knowing that it can easy lead to injury. While the Dark Side could be really fan especially when you learn all tricks, like peeing on the moving bike, it isn't as danger, that's why I hoping to stay there for a long time.
With the Darker Side you have to be there to really understand how crazy it is to run on those, wet, rocky sections. This isn't the side for people with good imagination, because it would be easy to imagine all horrible accidents while speeding over those rocks. It isn't the side for people with common sense also, because you can easy calculate that probability of non injuries is close to zero.
I will be frequent visitor to this Darker Side :)

No Wes is a straight shooter, he finished ahead of me. A worthy goal indeed.
Wesley you could do 6 OUSer races and not see the danger level of ITT. Most are much smoother trails with hills as the main challenge, much like Sulphur Springs. Maybe that's why ITT gets 100 runners instead of the 300 average at the other races.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:26 am

Excellent work! Congrats on a strong run!

दिवंगत
Bill Crothers

Postby दिवंगत » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:13 pm

You're a machine Wesley, well done my friend!

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:30 pm

Great job Wesley!
Looking forward to seeing you at PEC :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:49 pm

Great race Wesley. You'll be a formidable PEC shallonger indeed.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:31 am

Great report Wesley - well done
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:30 pm

Well done, Wesley!

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:35 pm

Wow, Wesley! A very fine effort indeed. You must be excited for PEC with this under your belt!

This Shallonge is going to be very interesting. Some very strong contenders!
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:23 am

Very detailed report, as always, and I enjoyed reading it. You did a good job on that course. Sulphur Springs is a walk in the park compared to ITT.
Congrats!
Ultrarunner again

Return to “Run/Race Reports”