Doonst @ The Iroquoia Trail Test

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Doonst @ The Iroquoia Trail Test

Postby Doonst » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:14 am

This was my second stab at the ITT, 32 K on the Bruce Trail. Last year, 3:28 on a great day. This year the weather was fine but weeks of thunderstorms had left a slippery course. I had a strategy this year, to go easier on the first sandy 8K loop, to save myself for tougher rocks to follow. It is a long race. I had said my goal was 3:20, but later I knew I could be happy to get half that improvement, 4 minutes not 8.
I think what I was hoping for on the first loop was really to spend less effort but get the same or better time. Seemed I went out easy but still the first split was 2 seconds faster at 4:37. Last one of those. The ravine loop had muddy sections yesterday. At least they had a marshall making everyone go into the river; I passed 2 people mid-stream! Strangely I got away from the crowds down there and ran much of it alone. Back up on the pavement, Wesley (Casual) pulled up beside me, and then went ahead to change his shoes at the start. Always the triathlete, he had to have a transition. One full minute more for the first loop this year.
Heading north on the real trails, I got caught in traffic. The rocks were definitely slippery and even fancy footwork wasn't enough to keep the speed up. So many of the rocks were severely off-camber, and you would just slide around if you tried to dance. I seriously don't know how the leaders could go fast through that stuff, but they must have. Ran parts with Wesley, but he seemed quick today. Saw my wonderful S.O taking pictures in the canyon, Bud my dog was out to watch too.

Fancy Footwork.

Going up the far side of the canyon, Wesley pulled away for good. At the turnaround I was 2:05, now 2 1/2 minutes off last year. Time for a big finish.
Going back I was struggling a bit, this course really wears you down. At times I tried to push but it never lasted long. More pictures and a kiss at the canyon floor.

Slippery rocks seemed even more treacherous going back, but traffic was less. Ran some solid sections, but was losing 10-15 seconds per K. I started to feel muscle twinges around 27k, threatening to cramp up. After Twiss Road with 6K to go, I actually did pick it up. My goals had morphed, sub 3:30, then sub 3:31. Pushing hard the last bit I did make up some time, but finished in 3:31:38. Those last 2 were tough and I felt it, I had felt pretty good all day. Very glad to be finished.
Then I heard the other maniac's great times, and for a second wondered if I really had a slow day. Eventually checking the results, I knew they were by far the exception and almost everyone had slower times, 5,6, 11, 20 minutes or more. I ended up 5/23 in my age group, up from 8/23 last year. 30 overall up from 48. The people who finished just before and after me were some very fast guys. I was advised by the winner of my age group., that his fast friends figured the course was 10 minutes slower today, that made me feel better. I'll take it. Also my last 6 K were faster this year, I must have faded less.
How about those other guys though! Robbie in 6th, Strider 7 minutes faster in 10th! Fizz with a great first run, nice day for a long run. Just as impressive is Casual-Runner, who pulled away from me and gained 6 minutes on the return leg. He looks really strong for the PEC shallonge.
Good times after the race, showers and pizza and beers and awards. A good day on the trails. But tough.
Last edited by Doonst on Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:21 am

Last year you said the course was dry, and this year it wasn't- I would think a wet course would add quite a lot to your time. More than 3 minutes over that distance, that's for sure! It sounds like it was super tough yesterday, and I think you ran a very solid race. Maybe not a pb in time, but definitely in effort from the sound of itl Probably if you had run with that effort and fitness last year you would've been way faster, if that makes sense. Great job Sheldon.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:56 am

Well done!

So how many of the 23 were the same guys? How many guys did you nbeat this year that beat you last year? (I know you know this ;)).
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:06 am

Good job Sheldon! You never take a break!!
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:25 am

Moving up 18 places on the results sheet is big time stuff, especially at a race that only draws dedicated runners.

I'm glad you guys all made it through without leaving behind any blood or guts.

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:26 am

BJH wrote:Well done!

So how many of the 23 were the same guys? How many guys did you nbeat this year that beat you last year? (I know you know this ;)).

Looking up the stats is very encouraging. One guy I beat by 10 minutes beat me by 12 minutes last year. The winner of my age group (both years) was 23 minutes slower this year. If I had hit my 3:20 goal, I would have been 2nd in front of the race director of the Mississauga Marathon. The guy who came in just after me, also in my group, has run a 3:55 50K, 3:04 full, 2:07 ATB, and a 1:25 half this year. He must have been on LSD yesterday.
next up:

One fine day
One fine day

casual-runner
Bill Crothers

Postby casual-runner » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:50 am

Congratulations :clap: It is really tough race on those slippery rocks. I have enough of trial races at least for this year but I love them and will be back for more...
I am amazed by your trial record. I am sure that I can still learn a lot from you, and my result today was just unexplainable glitch.

Please say thanks to you wife for great photos :)
My race log: http://itsmyrun.com
My training log: http://runningahead.com

----

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:52 am

Doonst wrote: The guy who came in just after me, also in my group, has run a 3:55 50K, 3:04 full, 2:07 ATB, and a 1:25 half this year. He must have been on LSD yesterday.

Paul Chenery won the Dirty Girls 6hr race last week, and I noticed he ran the Midsummer Night 30K last night! :shock:

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:58 am

dgrant wrote:
Doonst wrote: The guy who came in just after me, also in my group, has run a 3:55 50K, 3:04 full, 2:07 ATB, and a 1:25 half this year. He must have been on LSD yesterday.

Paul Chenery won the Dirty Girls 6hr race last week, and I noticed he ran the Midsummer Night 30K last night! :shock:

That makes more sense. I noticed a few of the usual suspects yesterday that had done the 24 hour at DG. When do they shop if they never taper?
next up:

One fine day
One fine day

Ed Fizz
Bill Crothers

Postby Ed Fizz » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:10 am

Another solid race Sheldon. Well done!!! :D And thanks for letting me pick your brain in the days leading up to the race.

mlazenby
Bill Crothers

Postby mlazenby » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:22 am

Nice run buddy!
Hola!

TheBman
Jerome Drayton

Postby TheBman » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Well done big boy.......

LOVE the pics!!!

Bman
The MARATHON GRAND SLAM!

London Marathon April 17
Boston Marathon April 18
Berlin Marathon September 25
Chicago Marathon October 9
NYC Marathon November 6

...raising funds and awareness for the EVERYMAN Campaign!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:34 pm

Great performance - that is some solid running!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:19 pm

Great run Doonst, you ran a good race. 5th in your age group is outstanding.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

Hermes
Bill Crothers

Postby Hermes » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:42 pm

Atta boy Doonst!! You're in great shape!!!

The Shallonge is definitely on.

I was delighted to hear you took a kiss break. That puts you ahead of the pack in my books. :D

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:22 pm

awesome job, sheldon :clap:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Smitty
Johnny Miles

Postby Smitty » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:14 pm

Great improvement from last year! I'm getting this urge to head out to Kelso for a look see at these trails.

Sandra
Bill Crothers

Postby Sandra » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:43 pm

Great job Sheldon!
Sandra
"Appreciate what you got and chill when things seem overwhelming."

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:01 am

You ran a great race - with no taper and the amount of racing you've been doing you did outstanding. A simple one week tape goes a long way to helping to make you fresh for race day - but doing some races on tired legs are just as important. Darn fine job - Can't wait to see what you think of Haliburton. See you there.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:26 am

Great job & wonderful pics!
:D
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:36 am

Great work Sheldon, as always!

Congrats, and don't be too obsessed about the fact you were slower this year, as you said, it was tougher conditions!

Give Bud an ear scratch for me!

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:17 pm

5 out of 23!!!!!!!

Awesome Sheldon, just simply awesome.

Well done.
Bettina Peterson: "Where're you headed?"
Chuck Noland: "Well, I was just about to figure that out."

दिवंगत
Bill Crothers

Postby दिवंगत » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:16 pm

Another one under your belt, well done! I don't know how you trail guys do that stuff - you must have ankles of steel...

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:22 pm

Wow...I'm officially impressed. Those slippery rocks sound dangerous :shock:
Great job on improving on your age and overall placement.
Yep...there's gonna be a lot of Hoopla at PEC :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:27 am

Great race Sheldon - it looks very beautiful (here and in the photo thread)
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Return to “Run/Race Reports”