Great weekend at PEC

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
casual-runner
Bill Crothers

Great weekend at PEC

Postby casual-runner » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:31 am

It was amazing Running Mania experience. I met a lot of Maniacs - runners and supporters. Fantastic two days of fun :)

I went to PEC event to win 3:30 shallonge. I was sure that it will be race in which we all will be close to 3:30 time. I felt strong and ready. This was my second marathon. I thought that I knew how to run marathon after my first one. It isn't true. I know now that there is a long road ahead.

My race pace was right on the planned pace until 29 km. I didn't have enough strength to keep my pace beyond that distance. I was hoping that things will change when I switch my running shoes to racing flats at 32 km. It felt better for a moment but sudden cramp ended positive excitement. I didn't have plan B for this race, I quickly calculated that PB is still possible, but it wasn't my day. From 33 km to the end I was cruising on the verge of cramps to the finish. My time 3:43:42.

I have made a few mistakes. The biggest are those before the race. In my attempt to do one day carbo-loading I consumed 4800 calories (800+ grams of carbs) on Friday and I was suffering on Saturday evening with stomach problems and huge headache. I think that the FIRST program, which I like because it fits my triathlon training plan, is not good enough for the 3:30 marathon goal. I think that I need to build much higher millage.

I am disappointed with my performance, but it will motivate me to do better training in the future. Congratulations to David (dgrant) for wining, Sheldon (Doonst) for consistency, James (Ironboy) and Andy (HCiD) for determination. Congratulation for other runners for PBs, BQs and effort.

I don't like my result but I like the experience of this race. It was perfect Running Mania event starting with Pasta Dinner on Saturday, excellent, beyond any words support from non running Maniac during the race, and great after party on Sunday. Thank you again supporters and fans :clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited by casual-runner on Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
My race log: http://itsmyrun.com
My training log: http://runningahead.com

----

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:35 am

Congrats on another marathon finish - I think we all learn from each race we do!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:39 am

You have to give yourself credit man... completing your first two marathons both under 3:45, especially when this summer was devoted in large part to triathlon training. It wasn't quite the result you'd wanted, but there's a lot to be proud of there.

You're a great guy and nice to be around at races.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:40 am

Congrats on great effor, Wesley ... It was great seeing you again this weekend ...

And, yes, each marathon is a new and different journey and learning experiences ... Take and remember the things that worked and take note and chuck out the things that did not work ....
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

cgraham
Bill Crothers

Postby cgraham » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:43 am

Nice meeting you at the race, and good results. Nice photos in the report as well.

Sounds like a pretty painful ending (although you may want to edit your report - your finish time was 3:43 - not 4:43 - that would have really been a miserable last 12k.)

Nice job overall. You're obviously learning and I'm sure that if you make this a priority, your times will drop dramatically.

Congrats
2009 Highlights
Marathon - 2:54:05 (Mar 22 - Tokyo)
Half - 1:20:00 (Apr 26 - Hartwell)
5k - 17:09 (Acura 5k - Jul 19)
800m - 2:16.80 (York U - Jul 28 )
Now - Getting back my running fitness
My training log

Why practice running slow? It comes naturally!

"There are two types of injuries that we older runners get: those that we can run with and those that we can't. And if you're over 30 and don't have one or the other, you aren't training hard enough." - Younger Legs blog

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:45 am

It was great to finally meet you in person. Sorry that Sunday wasn't your day. You will nail the next one

EDIT: OK!! 3:43, I didn't think you were over 4 hours!!. That a great result for a difficult day
Last edited by mcshame on Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:47 am

That is a quality result, don't be too hard on yourself. Learn from what worked and what didn't and apply next time.

Maybe skip the shoe transition next time.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:48 am

It was great as always to race you Wesley.

You had a solid performance. There is such a fine line between just fast enough and just too fast, and I think we were both just on the wrong side of that line!

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:50 am

I am very proud of you and I think that is a result to be proud of.

I was really looking forward to meet you to test my now rusty Polish! :lol:

Hope to see you at another race some time!
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

a-slow-5
Jerome Drayton

Postby a-slow-5 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:05 pm

It was great to meet you Wesley! I'd heard/seen the casual runner name around for quite some time and it's always great to put a face to a name. (we need to work on a new one for Mrs. though,as I don't think casual-wife is appropriate!!!! Perhaps she doesn't either!!!! LOL!)

I loved the look on your face when Marg greeted you in her so called "rusty" polish! That must have been a pleasant surprise, eh!

You're racing result is terrific! The others are right, don't be so hard on yourself! You seated yourself in amongst some pretty fine athletes at the finish line, mister! Good job!
Treat a child as though she already is the person she's capable of becoming. - Haim Ginott
Keep going. Never give up. - Spencer Dolling
Run like hell, feel like hell, look like hell! - Nick
It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have. - Cheryl Crow

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:10 pm

Congrats on finishing, and it sounds like you have taken a lot of lessons away from this race, and i am sure you will use them to get your 3:30 next time!
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:25 pm

I still think you are faster than that on a good day right now Wesley. Your headache and stomache issues may or may not be attributed to your carbo-loading, but it doesn't take much to drag you down over that distance. You were so strong at ITT! Total distance run in training is an important factor, but not the only way. Thanks for your keen interest in the shallonge, it was fun from start to finish! Fun weekend for sure.

P.S. Hamilton marathon is in 4 weeks! Think about it.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:28 pm

Doonst wrote:P.S. Hamilton marathon is in 4 weeks! Think about it.

And, Toronto GoodLife is next, next weekend :wink: :P
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:55 pm

Congratulations on your marathon. Every marathon is a learning experience. Know you will adjust your approach and will feel better next time. Interested in knowing the strategy to changing to racing flats for the last part of the race. In some ways, if I was going to do that (not sure I would recommend it), I would use racing flats at the first...and then switch to training shoes at the end, when support/survival and cushioning may be needed more than speed.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

RayMan
Jerome Drayton

Postby RayMan » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:02 pm

It was great seeing you before and after the race. That's a fine result for your second marathon - now you know what it takes to reach your next goal. Keep it up!

blank
Bill Crothers

Postby blank » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:05 pm

It was great to meet you this weekend Wesley!

I really enjoyed our discussions. A 3:43 is a great result and I know you will meet your 3:30 goal soon.

Smitty
Johnny Miles

Postby Smitty » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:35 pm

Congrats on another marathon. From the pics it looked like you had a great day out there.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:15 pm

Although not the race you were looking for at PEC, you still had fun. I confess when you told me how many calories you had ingested on your carb load day I was a bit daunted....when you got to the buckwheat part...I started to feel sick :roll: :wink:

Great seeing you again Wesley. I like your "casual wife"...she's a great sport :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

ratherBrunning
Jerome Drayton

Postby ratherBrunning » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:04 pm

Congratulations on your run, Wesley! It was a real pleasure to meet you and casual-wife. I enjoyed our conversations and learned a lot from you.
Louise

Ed Fizz
Bill Crothers

Postby Ed Fizz » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:23 pm

Not what you wanted but still a solid result. With a bit of fine-tuning, 3:30 is in your future.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:09 pm

Wesley, congratulations on a really strong finish. Sure we can always find things that we'd like to have done differently, but at least you can take that information and learn from it for next time. You should be very proud. I loved your trash talking, too- you were hilarious! Congratulations. :)
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

JSmitty
Bill Crothers

Postby JSmitty » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:28 pm

Wesley, it was great to see you again. I am sure that 3:30 is in the cards real soon. 4800 calories....wow and no beer!!
Cheers,
Jill

Ongoing plan :To start running, continue with eating habits, positive outlook.
OTTAWA HALF 2014

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:39 pm

not sure what else to add - since we had a great chat at the post-race MnG! It was great to see you throughout the weekend!

here's a couple more pictures for you....

32 km

Finishing kick
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:56 pm

Congrats on finishing your second marathon! You were awesome. I'm sorry it wasn't your day, but I'm glad that you're taking this experience and turning it into motivation to get better at this distance. Way to go!! Your hard training will pay off. We need to find another marathon challenge for 2009. :lol:
It was great to see you and Beata again. I hope to see you at Sulphur next year. Or at the Hamilton Boxing Day 10 miler, if you feel like working off the Christmas dinner. :lol:
Ultrarunner again

दिवंगत
Bill Crothers

Postby दिवंगत » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:55 am

You have done a lot of racing this year Wesley, and to cap it off with a 3:43 marathon is still pretty impressive to me! Well done on a great season!

Return to “Run/Race Reports”