Doonst does PEC: Good race, great weekend

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Doonst does PEC: Good race, great weekend

Postby Doonst » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:33 pm

A marathon is the totality of your training and the day. This race, this year, I've had a few issues affecting my training. My runners knee reoccurred after the ITT in August, costing me some speedwork and long runs if only for a couple weeks. Then for the last 2 weeks I have had some nasty stomach issues. Again canceled and delayed long runs. Right up until race day I wasn't sure if I could finish or be at my best. In the end, I was fine on race day, except for the training hit.
The big event went well. I am proud of executing my plan well. I said first half was at 4:56 pace, 1:44 total. My splits were so even its crazy, all 4:5x's, and we crossed the half line at 1:44:09. All that without any huge forcing to slow or speed, just natural. Sometimes running with Casual, and often our personal pacer bgroot. Still if they slowed down I would just ease ahead at my pace.
Kms 21-35 I pretty much ran near my goal for there of 5:01s, plus or minus 10 seconds. Bgoot left at 27K to get a little tempo in, just as well as I needed to zone. It was great while it lasted , very nice of you Brian to pace our little shallonge.
Starting around 35K not unexpectedly it got a little tougher and slower. Pace average edged up towards 5:20 as my leg muscles threatened to cramp. Walk through water station to take a gel, 5:19. Stop to stretch, 5:17. The hills, 5:40s. In between, around 5:10. So, I ended up 3:33, 3 minutes over my goal. Its what I had and I am happy with it. A PB and a BQ. Second in the shallonge, I never had any real expectation to beat Dave. Did I mention I am now qualified for the next 2 Bostons? :lol:
The real news of this race was the manic gathering. Young and old, newbies and the originals. It really blew me away, it still hasn't gotten old to be a maniac. I don't know what impressed me more, those who stayed over Saturday night or got up at 4 AM to drive here Sunday morning, just to cheer! Who does that? Maniacs! God bless you , it made a real difference so many times all weekend. Special shout-out to the worlds greatest fan, Jo-Jo the Hula Girl.
The shallonge was fun too, especially the trash talk. Other runners all did so amazing. Special shout-out to the amazing Robbie-T, its always a privilege to play a small part in your racing successes. Dave congrats on that potato thing. I still suspect that you tanked your race just to stay in the shallonge and not get kicked out for running a 3:20.

Next up for me is New York Marathon in 4 weeks, the final act in my dream year. Then I'm pretty sure that I 'll pass on a full in the spring, concentrate on chasing some shorter distance PBs. The half is such a nice distance. I do think I can run 3:30, I guess next chance is a year from now. Then its Boston 2010. One thing i know is I'll always be a running maniac!
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:50 pm

Sheldon,

When Hula Girl saw you flying down Main Street looking fast and happy she was one happy cheerleader...and remembered back to last year when you told her at that same spot......"it's not looking good"
Well this year...you looked good and that was a happy sight :D

BTW...did you hear what Heather said to me as you guys were heading out.....something to the effect.."I'm glad that Sheldon has a fan who actually appreciates him" :D

As always it was wonderful seeing you. And Heather. But especially Buddy...what a dear sweet doggie. He's a dear sweet older gentleman and a reminder to me to cherish C-Moss even more as she gets older.

Now that you have "officially" BQ'd I am taking applications for the Fan Club but I am thinking there will be a pretty steep fee to get in...hey...I believed in you ...right from the start :wink: :wink: :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:05 pm

Doonst man, you may not know it but you impress me, competing in these silly races and competitions against guys a fraction of your age, and pulling it off. You are a great runner and a class act.

btw Great PB/BQ this weekend!!
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:14 pm

Yeah, that's okay. I guess.

casual-runner
Bill Crothers

Postby casual-runner » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:15 pm

Congratulations :clap: :clap:

With exception of David, who belong as we all know to another category ;) you were the true winner. You executed the race very close to your potential and pre-race plan, and you are still saving something for the New York Marathon ;) (3:30 attempt ?)

It was pleasure to run and chat with you at PEC :)
My race log: http://itsmyrun.com
My training log: http://runningahead.com

----

bgroot
Johnny Miles

Postby bgroot » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:20 pm

It was a pleasure to run with you. It always makes a race more enjoyable to just chat about for awhile and you forget you're even working so hard. I'm still waiting on details about New York but will let you know if I do get the opportunity to go. Big congrats on the BQ and of course a new PB!!!!!! You deserve it!
Brian

Upcoming races:
Rotorua Marathon, New Zealand

http://www.mindfulnessrunning.com

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:33 pm

it was great to finally meet Heather!

oh, good job on the BQ as well ;)

11km

Heather taking pictures at 32km

Buddy cheering for you

32km

coming in at the finish past the rubber chicken
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:49 pm

Man, that's one scary looking chicken! Sheldon, very impressive. No doubts this time, Mr. Boston qualifier.

Until next time...

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:09 pm

Great race, Sheldon. It's always a pleasure to meet and chat with you. If I could still run marathons, we could hunt those youngsters down and teach them a thing or two....if could we only remember what they were. Good luck in NY. It's a great event and I'm looking for you to do yourself proud. Just don't get off-course in Harlem, or Brooklyn , or Bed-Stuy....
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:28 pm

Congrats on the BQ and PB!! Nicely done!
It was my pleasure to dangle the rubber chicken and shake my bear bells at you running maniacs!
Ultrarunner again

AlfiefromPickering
Bill Crothers

Postby AlfiefromPickering » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:51 pm

Another amazing performance Sheldon....you'll always be a Maniac!!
I am in love with the President of Argentina .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhf5iInIWEs mamacita preciosa
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIZ39iEw80M. She is 63 is 2016.... meaning 10 years older than I. I guess I'm into mature girls .....

दिवंगत
Bill Crothers

Postby दिवंगत » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:58 am

Congrats on your BQ Sheldon; this one must be particularly satisfying after the challenges you have faced in your training. Well done, cheers!

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:30 am

For me this race solidified that when you just missed your BQ last year, you truly did deserve it (as we all knew anyhow). A lot of people would just surrender, you came back faster and stronger to prove to everyone that you are a Boston Qualifier, and then some. Hats of to you, young fella.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

blank
Bill Crothers

Postby blank » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:35 am

Great run Sheldon! Congratulations on the PB and the BQ!

Very nice to have met this Doonst chap too!

a-slow-5
Jerome Drayton

Postby a-slow-5 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:39 am

Congratulations on the BQ. Seeing you at the 1/2 way mark was impressive, you were so graceful at that pace is amazing to watch. Great race.

I love the competitve banter between you and those "young dudes"! Keep them on their toes, Sheldon!
Treat a child as though she already is the person she's capable of becoming. - Haim Ginott
Keep going. Never give up. - Spencer Dolling
Run like hell, feel like hell, look like hell! - Nick
It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have. - Cheryl Crow

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:46 am

AWW! Now you made me wish i was there to feel the RM magic.

Congrats on a great run, see at the Egg Nog Jog!

(i miss Bud!)
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

cgraham
Bill Crothers

Postby cgraham » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:19 am

Great race - congrats on both the PB & BQ. And you've still got room to improve at New York :D

Great meeting you as well & thanks for all your encouragement/thoughts pre-race.
2009 Highlights
Marathon - 2:54:05 (Mar 22 - Tokyo)
Half - 1:20:00 (Apr 26 - Hartwell)
5k - 17:09 (Acura 5k - Jul 19)
800m - 2:16.80 (York U - Jul 28 )
Now - Getting back my running fitness
My training log

Why practice running slow? It comes naturally!

"There are two types of injuries that we older runners get: those that we can run with and those that we can't. And if you're over 30 and don't have one or the other, you aren't training hard enough." - Younger Legs blog

lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Postby lovethehills » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:44 am

I just think you're great! You truly deserve all the successes....you work hard, have fun and always have a great attitude!
"Only through curiosity can we discover opportunities, and only through gambling can we take advantage of them."

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:51 am

Yay, Doonst!! You ran a great race!

It was wonderful seeing you again. I love your laid-back style. Do you get that from Robbie? :wink:

Best of luck in NYC.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:09 am

Congratulations on a solid performance - topped off by a PB and BQ - great stuff!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Ed Fizz
Bill Crothers

Postby Ed Fizz » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:18 am

Another great run by the doonster. Congrats on the PB, best of luck in NYC!!! :D

Hermes
Bill Crothers

Postby Hermes » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:29 am

I'm so happy for you Sheldon! A PB and a BQ... and a great maniac weekend to boot. :D

Congratulations, and enjoy New York!! You are having one fantastic 2008 season. I have no doubt you will keep on being a no. 1 maniac. :)

Smitty
Johnny Miles

Postby Smitty » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:29 am

I was a little concerned looking at September's training log that you might not be 100%. Great race! Congrats on the PB/BQ!

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:15 am

Sheldon, once again you amaze me. I saw you run by my relay station, and you were flying. You look like you're coasting though! :shock:
Congratulations on a fantastic race.
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

JSmitty
Bill Crothers

Postby JSmitty » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:29 am

Sheldon, congrats on your race. You are a very deserving runner who is dedicated, talented and unselfish about sharing running experiences.
Hope that New York is good to you.

Oh, and that's great about your PB and BQ...whoohoo!!!
Cheers,
Jill

Ongoing plan :To start running, continue with eating habits, positive outlook.
OTTAWA HALF 2014

Return to “Run/Race Reports”