AirForceRunner is slower than a 237 yr old dead guy.

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

AirForceRunner is slower than a 237 yr old dead guy.

Postby AirForceRunner » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:05 pm

Intriguing title, isn`t it. So today I ran the Ottawa Beat Beethoven half, a race I finally decided to run 15 mins before it started. The plan was to show up, judge how my knee felt during warm-up, and choose accordingly. Felt good, so what the heck.
I finally met Andy at the start, and when he started setting up his watch, I realized I forgot my GPS pod in the car. Nothing like a 400 metre sprint to start a half, as I tore off to retreive it. Halfway through this sprint, my knee said HELLO! Oh brother...this is going to be a long race.
The horn went off, and off we went. I must admit, this being my first half, I kinda like the relaxed start...not the kind of chaos you find in a 5 km race.
Right from the start, the knee was present, but not an issue. That is until the first uphill and subsequent downhill. I soldiered on, hoping that it would get nice an warm, which it did. But everytime the surface went up or down, me knee would say REMEMBER ME!!
Hit 10 km at 46:36, so now my goal was now to get to the turn and steal some ice from the water station cooler for about a minute to ice the knee. My heart sunk when they were just that, an turn point. They couldn`t help me, and the wheels fell off after that. At 12 km I nearly quit. same at 13.4, 17ish, 19ish...it was rough. 11 stops over the last 11.1 km. Watched Andy blow past me at one point, and tried to hang with him, but it was no use. Anything under 5 min pace and my knee would scream.
Finally put an end to the disaster 1:49:10 after I started.

Positives: Got to meet Andy and Ken. COOL! :D
Learned that running while even a little bit off form is really foolish...While my knee is really fat and swollen right now, my back and left hip hurt alot due to favoring it for 15 km.
Negatives-Result, and then I had to bail on lunch with Andy as my knee was starting to swell quite impressively.

I really didn`t want to even write a report on this race. Its a little embarrassing. But you know what...we all learn from our experiences, and if someone can take something from this, then it served a point.

PS-Well done, Andy....your now up 2-0.
Last edited by AirForceRunner on Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:41 pm

Nice to finally meet you, as well, Rick .... Really the only reason why I decided to come out for a long steady run this morning ... and, of course to support such a worthy cause as the Shepherds of Goodhope...

You are such a Trooper out there, never giving up ... and, was totally amazed how fast you went out from the blocks, leaving the rest in your dust ....

Well done, for your first offiical 1/2, AFR ... and, even on a bad wheel, still quite imprressive ... and, now a bench mark for you to put your radar on ...

Again, it was greta to finally meet you today, and looking forward til the next time ...
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

blank
Bill Crothers

Postby blank » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:34 pm

Too bad about the knee AFR. I really admire your perseverance!

Time to rest and heal-up.

I'm sure Andy will give you a rematch anytime.
Last edited by blank on Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlfiefromPickering
Bill Crothers

Postby AlfiefromPickering » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:15 pm

Not shameful whatsoever! You bravely ran a 1/2 marathon with a bad knee. That's amazing!! Nothing to be ashamed.
I am in love with the President of Argentina .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhf5iInIWEs mamacita preciosa
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIZ39iEw80M. She is 63 is 2016.... meaning 10 years older than I. I guess I'm into mature girls .....

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:19 pm

Thanks for sharing your story -- you were able to push through and get it done.... I have yet to run my first half (tomorrow!!), and I appreciate reading about ALL the experiences other runners are willing to share....

take the time to rest and heal up...... there's still lots of running to be done....!!!
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:42 pm

As Nick would say..."tough day at the office"...but you got the job done.

I was in your neighbourhood this week, hanging out with my friends Alex and Aidan at the school park :D

Heal up Rick...I hope you can run the Anniversary Run so I can go and cheer for you :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:02 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:As Nick would say..."tough day at the office"...but you got the job done.

I was in your neighbourhood this week, hanging out with my friends Alex and Aidan at the school park :D

Heal up Rick...I hope you can run the Anniversary Run so I can go and cheer for you :D

Oh, I will be at the Anniversary Run, even on crutches if I have to. :shock:
I`m supplying volunteers for the race, and I need the race to maintain my spot in the KRRA Standings.

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

JSmitty
Bill Crothers

Postby JSmitty » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:13 pm

Good perserverance Rick. I'm sure your knee looked impressive after the half. Congrats on getting the distance out of the way.
Cheers,
Jill

Ongoing plan :To start running, continue with eating habits, positive outlook.
OTTAWA HALF 2014

Ed Fizz
Bill Crothers

Postby Ed Fizz » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:44 pm

Congrats on toughin' it out, but take care of that knee! :(

richie-rich
Bill Crothers

Postby richie-rich » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:59 pm

i think you should have stopped when your knee was bugging you. why keep going and risking serious damage? no one gained anything by you beating your knee up. sorry, don't mean to preach, but i just don't get it.

if you are not careful you'll end up like me and have enough hardware in your knee to set off airport metal detectors. :(

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:24 pm

wow. umm, hope it was worth it.

since your time is faster than my PB, I guess I'm a dead guy. ;)

sorry i don't have anything more positive to say....I'm just confused as to why you did this - after DNS's two races recently....why you would go out and blow up your knee is beyond me.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:34 pm

Nice attempt. You never know what is going to happen until you try. Heal up now.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

RayMan
Jerome Drayton

Postby RayMan » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:40 am

Decent finish time considering the way your knee reacted - probably not the wisest thing you have ever done, but then again you said your knee felt fine during the warm up.

Heal up, buddy!

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:09 am

Irongirl wrote:... - after DNS's two races recently....why you would go out and blow up your knee is beyond me.

Sorry Rick, I'm a bit in this camp too and hope you posting your story does serve a point for others. Sounds like you'll have a much longer recovery now... ouch. :(

Heal up and take care of all the aches.
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:30 am

Irongirl wrote:wow. umm, hope it was worth it.

sorry i don't have anything more positive to say....I'm just confused as to why you did this - after DNS's two races recently....why you would go out and blow up your knee is beyond me.

Oh my...I hope others didn`t mis-construe my post title. The dead guy I was refferring to is Beethoven himself. Sorry for any misunderstandings. :oops:

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler

-Jack Kerouac

-Smack

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:44 am

AirForceRunner wrote:
Irongirl wrote:wow. umm, hope it was worth it.

Oh my...I hope others didn`t mis-construe my post title. The dead guy I was refferring to is Beethoven himself. Sorry for any misunderstandings. :oops:

ahh - I gotcha. (the Beat Beethovan part is actually for the 8km ;) )

i was thinking that if you were going to mess up your knee, it's too bad that you didn't do it at PEC - at least you would have gotten to experience the maniac hoopla!
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

JacSprat
Bill Crothers

Postby JacSprat » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:49 pm

Sorry you had a tough race. Wishing you fast healing :!:
Jacqui

------------------------
MyTraining

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:09 pm

Tough run, Rick. At least you went out and gave it your best shot. But, yes, you need to get that thing healed up before you do real damage. Otherwise, you'll have visions of dead guys passing you on your training runs.....
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:14 am

Well...quite the report...! I don't know how you kept going on that knee, because it sounds incredibly painful, but race day adrenaline has an amazing ability to keep us moving.

Now to play Internet Doctor for a minute: what you're describing sounds an awful lot like IT Band Syndrome, especially if the pain is mostly on the outside of the knee. At this point it's probably all over the knee (!) but did it start on the outside? That inflammation is pretty difficult to treat so please give it some rest and some physio/ART/etc. to treat the underlying problem. Trying to run through ITBS that started in late June means that in October I'm still not healed...would hate to see you out that long as well.
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:51 am

Jogger Barbie wrote:Well...quite the report...! I don't know how you kept going on that knee, because it sounds incredibly painful, but race day adrenaline has an amazing ability to keep us moving.

Now to play Internet Doctor for a minute: what you're describing sounds an awful lot like IT Band Syndrome, especially if the pain is mostly on the outside of the knee. At this point it's probably all over the knee (!) but did it start on the outside? That inflammation is pretty difficult to treat so please give it some rest and some physio/ART/etc. to treat the underlying problem. Trying to run through ITBS that started in late June means that in October I'm still not healed...would hate to see you out that long as well.

Nope...its a strained or torn MCL (only an MRI or scope can say for sure) that I incurred 3 weeks ago. Yes, foolish to be running on it, but thats an entire other thread on its own. :lol:

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler

-Jack Kerouac

-Smack

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:03 am

Sorry you had such a tough race. I am not sure I could have carried on with that pain.
Healing vibes to you.

Cheryl
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

horselady
Bill Crothers

Postby horselady » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:21 pm

Ouch not sure how you kept going with that knee..but slower than a 237 year old dead guy?? I don't think so! :x A 237 year old dead guy is dust and can't run at all! You ran, finished, respectable time! Now take care of that knee!! Congrats on the finish! :clap:
" The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man" Winston Churchill"
2013 Plans so Far
Princess Half Marathon Orlando Feb 23
Run for the Reach Water StationVolunteer April 14
Spring Fling Running Thing April 21 10k
Gran Fondo Road Race July 20th
Ride the Rideau 100km Sept 8
Army 1/2 Marathon Sept 22
http://ridetherideau.ca/give
Smattering of horse shows

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:48 pm

Another maniac that toughed it out this week-end! Good job anyhow AFR!
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:20 pm

Time to heal up the knee my friend! I agree with Jo-Jo/Nick's line "tough day at the office".

Take it all in stride - you be back :D
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

cgraham
Bill Crothers

Postby cgraham » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:27 pm

I hope you didn't do any permanent damage to your knee with this race - doesn't sound like a pleasant experience at all.

Hope you heal up quickly.
2009 Highlights
Marathon - 2:54:05 (Mar 22 - Tokyo)
Half - 1:20:00 (Apr 26 - Hartwell)
5k - 17:09 (Acura 5k - Jul 19)
800m - 2:16.80 (York U - Jul 28 )
Now - Getting back my running fitness
My training log

Why practice running slow? It comes naturally!

"There are two types of injuries that we older runners get: those that we can run with and those that we can't. And if you're over 30 and don't have one or the other, you aren't training hard enough." - Younger Legs blog

Return to “Run/Race Reports”