Captain America Breaks all the rules in Toronto

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Portentous
Bill Crothers

Captain America Breaks all the rules in Toronto

Postby Portentous » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:27 pm

Rule # 1. No women: Well, it was my wife and it is our 7 year anniversary.

Rule # 2. Nothing new on race day. Well besides breaking no. 1, I ate a big bowl of cereal 2.5 hours before the race (usually just have a tiny bowl and OJ).

Rule # 3: Be physically well trained. Not my fault, but came down with Pneumonia last month and this is my 1st week with any running at all since then. But 6 weeks back I got in a 24km LSD. Decided to play smart and run it easy. I was supposed to be a 2:00 pacer at Scotia before falling ill, so figured I'd just take it easy and aim sub 2.

Rule # 4. Nothing new part II. Don't wear anything new. Planned a perfect race day outfit, but once I realized how easy I should be taking it and with Halloween around the corner decided to have fun and with just over an hour before the race start I changed into my Captain America costume. Unfortunately superheroes don't have pockets, but I quickly found and put together a race belt and an additional pouch to carry my keys and subway cash.

Rule # 5. Get there early. Warm-up, stretch, enjoy the scene, etc... 45 Minutes to race start I realize I may not make the 7:30 bus to Lastman square. Call my brother and got him to give me a lift to the start. Worried that I may miss / not find the bag check I don't take my bag with clothes in it.

The race itself was mostly great. It's a decent organization and I enjoyed the race expo. Not as slick or professional as the Scotiabank affair, but Canada Running Series does put on many large races throughout the year and as such attracts better sponsors. My only beef is with the water stations (which I've always complained about here). They beef up there #'s of aid stations and claim to have them every 2-3 km which is fine, but in reality they are 5k apart at least for the half. They bulk up their #'s by having some tables at 5k and then more at 5.5-6k. It's been cool every year I've ran it, but if we ever get a hot year the &^$&$ is going to hit the fan.

As far as the race itself? Perfect. I love this course which combines the best of the waterfront (for the full) with running down Yonge st. The weather was beautiful (although too warm for fools wearing padded superhero outfits. And I was having a blast with other runners and the crowd. My favorite was hearing a couple where the wife/gf (?) scream "go superman!" and then I heard the bf respond "That's Captain America, You Bozo!".

As if the water stations weren't bad enough, the gatorade was the weakest I've seen yet at a race (barely stronger than water). Had some at the 1st stations at @5k. At 9k they told me gatorade at the next station which I assumed would be 500m away. Never saw it. Anyone know if there was one? So, in my crazy hot costume I didn't drink again until 13-14k. Got to see my wife and two sons at 10k though, so that made up for it. My effort felt nice & easy this whole time, but the legs felt dead. Even on the downhills I wasn't able to speed up much. Speed ranged from 8:25-8:45 min/mile most of the race depending on hills. After 14k I was running with some other people worried about their potential finish time. I was lined up right behind the 2:00 bunny and he took off at the start. I never saw him again. Apparently he was still way ahead of us, but I assured these guys that I've done the bunny thing many times and that they were all well on track for a 2:00 finish. After that I became an unofficial bunny and had a large contingent hanging around, occasionally popping up to ask how we're doing.

I know a lot of them loved the attention we were getting on the course. The Captain was a rock star out there. Every single spectator out on the course would cheer for me and it ended up pumping up nthe whole group. Definitely gave me a taste of why the mega marathons are so popular with runners. Fan support makes a huge difference.

Took a big effort but I managed to pick up my pace slightly going up University. I didn't realize until then how much a toll the dehydration / lack of running was taking on me. I was still with one girl who'd been around the last 5k and she kept pulling ahead of me. It was kinda funny. I was definitely trying to catch her, and she kept watching my shadow. We ended up passing a lot of runners over the last 2k, but definitely slower than I had envisioned. In any case she continued to gain ground on me until we reached the top of Queens park where it heads back down to the finish. I was able to take advantage of the downhill, but she just held her speed. I finished just ahead of her, but suspect she didn't realize how far around that blasted finish line truly is! In any case we had a couple of laughs about it in the finish chute and she was thrilled with her race.

For the record we finished just over 2:00 gun and 1:58 chip.

Of course now came the tricky part. Making my way home without a change of clothes for the subway! Not sure if I got more strange looks for wearing the cap costume or for the fact that I was drinking a Gatorade with the Habs logo on it!

I will add that perhaps due to the lack of training runs over the last 6 weeks or the lack of race liquids, but this is the worst my legs have felt after a half marathon since my 1st race. Still have DOMS 2 days later, which I didn't even get a trace of after ATB. Oh well, time to look forward to repeating 2 hours at Angus Glen in 2 weeks.

And while my wife didn't manage to get a shot of me, I googled and somehow found this!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:46 pm

amazing!!! what a fun way to do a race - great pic as well!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:48 pm

You are my Superhero!!! :D After Johnny Canuck.

I think it was a woman who made up Rule #1.
Last edited by canalrunner on Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:21 pm

:lol: I saw that photo yesterday on a flickr site and was wondering if that was you. I have trouble recognizing runners' faces when they aren't wearing running gear.
Loved the report! Congrats on a tough race, Captain and a great job as unofficial pace bunny!
By the way, I never saw the "gatorade" they spoke about at km 9. I think it was only water at that point.
Ultrarunner again

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:25 pm

great job Captain! :)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:35 pm

Woo! Hoo!
Way to go!!!
:D
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:36 pm

Well done! How could that costume look out of place on the subway?!? Any weird looks were definitely because of the Habs logo!
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Postby fe.RMT » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:58 pm

I totally saw you finish and turned to my friend and said, "look at the superhero!!"
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:55 pm

Very cool, Rich!! :D
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

AlfiefromPickering
Bill Crothers

Postby AlfiefromPickering » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:28 pm

Congratulations Captain Richard. Great race under your particular circumstances and a really rematkable report!!
I am in love with the President of Argentina .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhf5iInIWEs mamacita preciosa
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIZ39iEw80M. She is 63 is 2016.... meaning 10 years older than I. I guess I'm into mature girls .....

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:32 pm

Congratulations Captain! :D
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:48 am

Awesome, Rich!! :lol:

I got that Habs Gatorade after the Scotia Half a few weeks ago (hated that it was fruit punch flavour :sick:) and I still have the bottle. Go Habs!!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

cgraham
Bill Crothers

Postby cgraham » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:54 am

Where was your shield? That was Captain America's biggest weapon.

Great race report and nice photo.
2009 Highlights
Marathon - 2:54:05 (Mar 22 - Tokyo)
Half - 1:20:00 (Apr 26 - Hartwell)
5k - 17:09 (Acura 5k - Jul 19)
800m - 2:16.80 (York U - Jul 28 )
Now - Getting back my running fitness
My training log

Why practice running slow? It comes naturally!

"There are two types of injuries that we older runners get: those that we can run with and those that we can't. And if you're over 30 and don't have one or the other, you aren't training hard enough." - Younger Legs blog

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:34 am

:lol: Love it!

Ed Fizz
Bill Crothers

Postby Ed Fizz » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:53 am

Loved the report!!! :lol:

MoeMan
Bruce Kidd

Postby MoeMan » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:38 am

Very cool!

M :D E
"Every time you miss a run, the Baby Jesus cries..." Dave Grant

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:54 am

Arghh! Work is blocking the photo!

Great report - sounds pretty cool. I don't think I could ever run in costume (unless it was deep winter/cold). Way to go Captain Pace Bunny by accident!

Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

ratherBrunning
Jerome Drayton

Postby ratherBrunning » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:59 pm

Great report and fab costume--congrats!!

Who is going to explain to this new-comer what DOMS stands for??
Louise

Portentous
Bill Crothers

Postby Portentous » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:01 pm

ratherBrunning wrote:Great report and fab costume--congrats!!

Who is going to explain to this new-comer what DOMS stands for??

Delayed Onset Mucsle Soreness

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:02 pm

Great work! Maybe it was a good thing that you were too late to take the bus in your costume!

JacSprat
Bill Crothers

Postby JacSprat » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:20 pm

Love it! Great race - congratulations :D :clap: :clap:
Jacqui

------------------------
MyTraining

tallrunner
Tom Longboat

Postby tallrunner » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:25 pm

Thanks for posting this great report and cool photo.

Congratulations
Tall
Next up:

October 2011 - First 5k in over two years -gulp...

Return to “Run/Race Reports”