AirForceRunner PB's twice in the same race.

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

AirForceRunner PB's twice in the same race.

Postby AirForceRunner » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:42 pm

Today was the final race in the KRRA road race series, the Anniversary Run 10 km (actually 10.2...hate that!). After flip-flopping about a hundred times on how to tackle this race, I decided to decide once I got started. Following a quick warm-up, the knee choose not to be an issue. COOL!!
The horn went, and a co-worker and I tried to weed our way through the pack. Once we got to where we thought we belonged, we ran for a bit together. I was originally going to pace him, but as is our nature, things got competitive, and he wouldn't let me. just before the 1 km mark, I bolted away from him, really just to pick up a draft from a group of 3 ahead of us. That was the last time I saw him.
I hit the 1 km mark just a hair over 4 mins, and thought "hmmm...considering one run in the last month...thats pretty good. Either this is going to be a good day, or I'm going to implode". I backed off a bit to be safe, and tried to find a groove.
A huge plus to this race was that I had provided roughly 35 volunteers for the race from my troop at work, so I had my own personal cheering section at every intersection. It was great!! But the best cheering section was yet to come.
I had overdressed for the race, so I tried to strip off my outer layer to give to a volunteer, but in the process, I dropped my hat. I didn't care if I got the shirt back, but the hat very important. It was a tech hat I won in my first sub-20 5 km, which my wife surprised me by having "SUB-20" stitched on the side. I had to stop, go back, put it back on, and find my stride again.
I hit the 5 km halfway point at 20:43, quite frankly a time I would have given my left arm for last year. Things were working well. Then came the 8 km mark...33:52...HOO-YAA!!! That's a PB for the 8 km (and that was off my GPS!) Right after that, I looked up, and there was Jo-Jo in her Boston Jacket (which I had rubbed for luck before the race)hollering up a storm. Managed to croak out a 'Love ya, Jo-Jo' as I went by, but I'm sure it was unintelligible.
There was then a turn-around, and return the way we came for a km, which meant I passed Jo-Jo again. She was cheering, but registered the pain on my face as I handed her my hat. It was GO TIME! There was a runner 70 metres in front of me with 800 metres to go. I picked it up to catch him, and then kicked from 300 metres out. Then my kick kicked me back with 50 metres to go. He beat me by 10 metres. Race time was 43:17 for 10.2 km, but the GPS registered 42:33 for 10 even. Second PB of the day.
The only downer of the day was that despite coming in 20th overall, I only came in 7th in my age group. TOUGH FIELD!! But overall, I'm ecstatic with my day.
And as always, to one of by biggest inspirations...thank you Jo-Jo. Knowing you were there to cheer me on really helped me push when my mind told me not to. I'm sure you could see the pained smile on my face the first time I ran by you.
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

ROW
Bill Crothers

Postby ROW » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:50 pm

Great job!! I would dream to run as fast as you!

Mid_Packer
Bruce Kidd

Postby Mid_Packer » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:53 pm

Great job, sounds like you had fun and had a world of support to make it special for you.

Dave

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:59 pm

Great to see you kicking in those good times again, Rick. Hopefully the knee issue is behind you. And congrats on the double PB!
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

JSmitty
Bill Crothers

Postby JSmitty » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:16 pm

loved the report and your race Rick and even more...loved the fact you ran without knee pain.
Awesome, hope it is behind you.
Cheers,
Jill

Ongoing plan :To start running, continue with eating habits, positive outlook.
OTTAWA HALF 2014

bicycle.boy
Bill Crothers

Postby bicycle.boy » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:21 pm

Nice work, congrats!
2008 season by: Euro-Sports.ca
2009 season powered by: sugar and adrenaline

Cabot Trail Relay Race - Leg 9 (17.84k) 1:30:56 (5:06 min/km avg)
Not Since Moses (10k) - 50:16 (5:02 min/km avg)
Rum Runners Relay Leg 4 (16.9K) - 1:14:32 (4:25 min/km avg)
Valley Harvest Marathon (42.2k) - 3:12:16 (4:33 min/km avg)

Ed Fizz
Bill Crothers

Postby Ed Fizz » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:24 pm

Awesome job!!! :D

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:36 pm

Congratulations, on an awesome race, Rick :clap::clap:

Now rest up and make sure that your that knee of yours is all 100% healed up, will ya ... :P :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:46 pm

Fantastic Rick...or is that Corporal Major :wink: (hope I got the rank right :roll: )

It's always a pleasure going out to cheer for you. As you probably know, I usually know lots of people on the KRRA race courses but going to cheer for you in particular always makes my day...cuz you're a Maniac :D :D .

I noticed the sub 20 stitching on your cap and wondered...very nice :D

I forgot to give you your PEC race kit...I'll get it together soon, I promise.

Take care of that knee....Dr. B doesn't have the most warm fuzzy manner but he's supposed to know his stuff.

I assume next time I see you race will be the Resolution Run.

Re: the 10.2km...I wondered about the course because some of the times for some people I know seemed a tad slow.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

AlfiefromPickering
Bill Crothers

Postby AlfiefromPickering » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:59 pm

Congratulations on your double double PB. Nice to know that your knee was not an issue on this race!!
I am in love with the President of Argentina .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhf5iInIWEs mamacita preciosa
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIZ39iEw80M. She is 63 is 2016.... meaning 10 years older than I. I guess I'm into mature girls .....

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:05 pm

Blanken wrote:Great job!! I would dream to run as fast as you!

Blanken,
I'm certain those dreams will be reality, sooner than you think. And I have no doubt you'll be FASTER than me. You've got the world ahead of you.

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:07 pm

Way to go sir!!
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

ROW
Bill Crothers

Postby ROW » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:09 pm

AirForceRunner wrote:
Blanken wrote:Great job!! I would dream to run as fast as you!

Blanken,
I'm certain those dreams will be reality, sooner than you think. And I have no doubt you'll be FASTER than me. You've got the world ahead of you.
Thank you!

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:16 pm

Rick, I'm glad the knee played nice today. I hope that problem is behind you, since you have some trash talking you need to work on for next season. :lol:

PS: Are you rubbing it into the guy you were supposed to pace? Of course you are! 8)
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

blank
Bill Crothers

Postby blank » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:12 am

Great run!

Glad to hear that your knee is much better.

cgraham
Bill Crothers

Postby cgraham » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:39 pm

Great job with a double PB. Glad to see your lucky worked for you.
2009 Highlights
Marathon - 2:54:05 (Mar 22 - Tokyo)
Half - 1:20:00 (Apr 26 - Hartwell)
5k - 17:09 (Acura 5k - Jul 19)
800m - 2:16.80 (York U - Jul 28 )
Now - Getting back my running fitness
My training log

Why practice running slow? It comes naturally!

"There are two types of injuries that we older runners get: those that we can run with and those that we can't. And if you're over 30 and don't have one or the other, you aren't training hard enough." - Younger Legs blog

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:43 pm

Carrie wrote:Rick, I'm glad the knee played nice today. I hope that problem is behind you, since you have some trash talking you need to work on for next season. :lol:

PS: Are you rubbing it into the guy you were supposed to pace? Of course you are! 8)

Thats right...you had full access to the FB trash talking, didn't you. No, I'm not rubbing it in. Well, maybe a little, but my co-workers are really on him. Stuff like "he has a gimp knee, and you still lost'. :lol:

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler

-Jack Kerouac

-Smack

Scotty
Bill Crothers

Postby Scotty » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:28 pm

Great job, hopefully next time I'm in Kingston we'll get to meet at a race, and then I'll watch you fade into the horizon in front of me...
For me life is continuously being hungry. The meaning of life is not simply to exist, to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve, to conquer.
~Arnold Schwarzenegger

"Everybody pities the weak; jealousy, you have to earn."

Return to “Run/Race Reports”