Speaking to school kids

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

flexrun
Bruce Kidd

Speaking to school kids

Postby flexrun » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:11 pm

I did my first talk today in front of a grade 6 class at my kids school. I told them my story in hopes of inspiring them. Things have been going so good for me since I started running that I wanted to give back if I can. So I have volunteered to speak at various schools. There are six schools and one hospital that are interested so far.

The look of amazement on their faces when I walked in wearing my running leg was priceless.

The teacher was writing something down while I was speaking and the principal sat in to listen so that he could give me some tips afterwards.

I told my story from my heart and started off by telling the students how their commit to character chart meant a lot to me. It is a chart that the school board uses of different attributes including courage, caring, respect, responsibility and others. I explained to them that I wouldn't have made it so far in my running if it wasn't for these things.

Next I talked about the question that is most asked to me - how did I lose my leg. That really got their interest. I tried to throw in some comedy afterwards but they might have been a little sad from this.

I got my son to pass my legs around to them so that they could see the difference and they seemed to like that. I am going to get some cast molds for the next time to show the kids.

At the end I played some of my TV interviews for them. It turns out the teacher was writing out the messages that they might have got from me. She wrote 18 different ones including - never give up - believe in yourself - we are all the same, even though we are different - your body will adapt if you ask it to do - don't let a major problem ruin your life. That was a great idea and she made a assignment out of it.

I told them to try something that they are passionate about even if its not running and stick to it, if you like it you will do good. Hopefully some will be interested in running after this :wink: .

One other thing I asked them to do is try to do a random act of kindness for someone, even if its small it will make you feel good 8) .

My son was there with me and when I told the story of how proud I was of him when he did his first track meet a while ago he beamed with pride. When I was about to walk out a girl came up to me and told me "you inspired me in there" . That made me feel good :D !

I will have some modifications to make but overall it went good. I think the more that I do of these, the better I will get, like anything. The school is going to have me do it again in front of all the students next Wed. which is disability day.

Tomorrow I will be saying a few words at a charity dinner in Barrie to help raise some money for the Sick Kids hospital. A friend is doing the Disney marathon run in Jan.
"ian - world record pacer" - Rick Ball
Mississauga Marathon 2008 - BQ 3:17:38
Bread and Honey 15k 2008 - 1:03:51
Ottawa 10k- May 09 - 37:55 WR
Bread and Honey 5k- 17:37 pb
Army Run Sept/ 09 - 1:20:44 WR
Boston -3:01:50 world record single leg amputee
Ottawa May 10,WR 2:57:47
Boiling point, Windsor, July 2011 - 400m 57.73 .

my website

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:19 pm

so very cool! how inspiring for the kids to see how what they are learning in school connects with real life.

edited to add that my kids are always very jazzed when someone comes to talk to them at school about stuff like that. so the message gets to the family too.

i bet they were fascinated by your prosthetic.
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

MoeMan
Bruce Kidd

Postby MoeMan » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:48 am

Your son is a very lucky kid.

M :D E
"Every time you miss a run, the Baby Jesus cries..." Dave Grant

Run26.2
Jerome Drayton

Postby Run26.2 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:50 am

Great job, man...great job!
"...twenty miles of hope, six miles of truth..."
21 marathons since 2001......up next, CND Army half-marathon in Sept. and Toronto Waterfront marathon in Oct.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:13 am

My school would absolutely be interested in hearing you, if you're willing to travel to west Scarborough (Pharmacy/Ellesmere area). We are also doing character education trait focuses every month. How inspiring and what a great message to kids- wow.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:23 am

What a great thing you are doing - thank you!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:42 am

Well Done.
I like the words of advice you gave...thank you.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

braveheart
Lynn Williams

Postby braveheart » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:00 am

My students would also love to hear you speak- as would I!
You are doing a wonderful thing in sharing your beautiful story with everyone.
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
Don't give up before the miracle.
**formerly campbellskid**

Ed Fizz
Bill Crothers

Postby Ed Fizz » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:04 am

QuickChick wrote:My school would absolutely be interested in hearing you, if you're willing to travel to west Scarborough (Pharmacy/Ellesmere area). We are also doing character education trait focuses every month. How inspiring and what a great message to kids- wow.

How 'bout coming all the way to Welland. :wink:

Thanks for taking the time to share your story, I'm sure at least one of these kids will make you part of theirs. :clap:

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:29 am

Congratulations, how cool it is for you to talk to the kids like that. Where are you speaking today? I wish I could make it and meet you.
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

garth
Bill Crothers

Postby garth » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:42 am

I love stories like that. Just your telling of how you told it inspired me, the actual story and presentation must be fabulous

You are a point of light and a person who has climbed through adversity. I always told my kids to "chose your heroes carefully" as they will shape your life.

I am sure you have become someone's hero through your message and they can only benefit from it.

Well done!
Please consider the jobs of those in the forest industry before deciding not to print stuff

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:03 am

I think some adults would benefit from hearing you speak, too!!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:27 am

How inspiring! If you do any adult type speaking, i would love to come one day.
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

flexrun
Bruce Kidd

Postby flexrun » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:35 am

Thanks everybody! I would love to speak at more schools. Send me a pm if you are interested and I will try to get there. I am currently working full time at the TTC, but will be requesting some days off so that I can get to more schools.

I spoke to a running group at the Running Room in Barrie a while back and recieved good feedback.
"ian - world record pacer" - Rick Ball
Mississauga Marathon 2008 - BQ 3:17:38
Bread and Honey 15k 2008 - 1:03:51
Ottawa 10k- May 09 - 37:55 WR
Bread and Honey 5k- 17:37 pb
Army Run Sept/ 09 - 1:20:44 WR
Boston -3:01:50 world record single leg amputee
Ottawa May 10,WR 2:57:47
Boiling point, Windsor, July 2011 - 400m 57.73 .

my website

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:46 pm

You ever make it out to the West Coast I'd love to have you speak to my 6th grade class.
What an awesome learning experience for them. Thank you for sharing your story so that others may learn.
Cheryl
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:52 pm

run4life wrote:You ever make it out to the West Coast I'd love to have you speak to my 6th grade class.
What an awesome learning experience for them. Thank you for sharing your story so that others may learn.
Cheryl

where do you teach Cheryl?
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

getfit
Jerome Drayton

Postby getfit » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:21 pm

Sounds like you gave those kids a lot to think about today. I'm sure your story has inspired many. Well done !
"I'm not sufficiently organized or ambitious to do all the things you're supposed to do if you're serious. The more time you spend fiddlediddling with this and that, the less time there is to run." ED WHITLOCK

Return to “General Running Discussion”