Wet Windy Wednesday

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:38 am

Yesterday:
BJH wrote:
bruyère wrote:I didn't run and I'm not gonna!

Me neither. Long day. Tomorrow will be better.

Today, I'm playing soccer.

BJH: DO SOMETHING!!

:)

My work here is done.
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

runcherylrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runcherylrun » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:11 pm

UltraQueenga wrote::shock: Yikes about the weather, cheryl. 3 more months of winter... :(

GEE, thanks for the reminder :shhh:

Actually - I love winter running - don't ask me why :roll: - nothing like a snowstorm to get me out the door - gives me more of a push than good weather :roll: :D
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Helen Keller

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:22 pm

2100M swim.. done...

But I think I need to brush up on Pensioner Etiquette... holy snot.. one woman kept kicking people out of "her" lane, telling the guards that they were all too slow for her, then she watched every lane like a hawk to make sure that everyone was in the correct lane & tattling on everyone..

And, no.. she wasn't training for the Olympics and did end up with a lane all to herself.. I couldn't convince Janet to join me in being a fecal agitator.. :twisted:

hey, I paid to be there, just like she did! :P
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

starting_over
Tom Longboat

Postby starting_over » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:34 pm

9.5km easy with 3 good size hills thrown in there. For some reason today I thought it was a good idea to wear a cotton long sleeved shirt in the pouring rain! Needless to say I arrived home about 5 pounds heavier than when I started:)

framboisine
Tom Longboat

Postby framboisine » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:36 pm

so I put my transit strike plan to work and ran 7.5K to work this morning. maybe not the best idea since I also ran last evening and I'm not used to run on fresh snow. my knees are not very happy right now :? I need to find a plan B for tomorrow...

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:36 pm

MINI-T wrote:2100M swim.. done...

But I think I need to brush up on Pensioner Etiquette... holy snot.. one woman kept kicking people out of "her" lane, telling the guards that they were all too slow for her, then she watched every lane like a hawk to make sure that everyone was in the correct lane & tattling on everyone..

And, no.. she wasn't training for the Olympics and did end up with a lane all to herself.. I couldn't convince Janet to join me in being a fecal agitator.. :twisted:

hey, I paid to be there, just like she did! :P

:shock: - what a b*tch!

I would have joined you in the fecal agitation - people like that drive me nuts! We have one 'pensioner' at the Base pool that hogs a lane but apparently it is okay since they got rid of 'Military Lap Swim' (a desginated time over lunch hour for military people to train in the pool).

kpoire
Bill Crothers

Postby kpoire » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:43 pm

mjk wrote:Last night we got freezing rain / snow, so I will leave the bike at home and run to work instead (I feel safer on my feet than on wheels in these conditions).

Have a great day everyone!
Although the sidewalks / road edges were covered in ice / snow, the run in was relatively incident free. It was rough enough that it did provide some traction. A couple of the down hill portions I had to tip toe through the tulips. Legs and body feels good.

JacSprat
Bill Crothers

Postby JacSprat » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:04 pm

kevvyd wrote:
CdnArtyWife wrote:
JacSprat wrote:
kevvyd wrote:Wet and mild here in Halifax. This morning was an hour in the gym doing the circuit and tonight I have a 1/2 hour row in front of the telly.

Dartmouth person :shock: Who are you :?: Are you new/old to RM :?:

from work Dartmouth/home Porters Lake person

He's a longstanding member or RM...but only comes out for controversial political threads and other times when the whim strikes him. :wink:

Right Kev?

You have me pegged well! (I have adopted the turd moniker with pride!)

Actually, I faded from view over the past year as I basically had completely stopped running. Sigh. Over the past month or so I've been trying to get my a$$ out the door and onto the roads, and I've managed to get out often enough now that I have started to log my runs and feel a bit like a runner again. I was avoiding the forum because I felt guilty when instead I should have dived into it for encouragement.

I miss you guys. Hi JacSprat, maybe I'll see you around on the roads, though I live right in town.

Thx CAW...nice to meet you Kev. I work off Windmill at Grove Street. Run down around Alderney sometimes. Green cap or RM buff :D

And I DID run at lunch - 5k - very windy, very mild 12 degrees.
Jacqui

------------------------
MyTraining

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:10 pm

Just core at the gym at lunch today - feeling pretty good. 21km planned for stoopid early tomorrow morning - there said it, now I have to do it......
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:29 pm

bike and weights done, followed by a wonderful 10min in the sauna. I have decided that I love that thing. :D

cgraham
Bill Crothers

Postby cgraham » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:31 pm

strider wrote:Just core at the gym at lunch today - feeling pretty good. 21km planned for stoopid early tomorrow morning - there said it, now I have to do it......

The worst part of mid-week medium long runs is having my alarm sound at 4:45 am - especially on cold dark winter mornings. I'm oh so looking forward to the 25k mid week runs looming on my schedule.

At least tomorrow's 18k seems short by comparison.
2009 Highlights
Marathon - 2:54:05 (Mar 22 - Tokyo)
Half - 1:20:00 (Apr 26 - Hartwell)
5k - 17:09 (Acura 5k - Jul 19)
800m - 2:16.80 (York U - Jul 28 )
Now - Getting back my running fitness
My training log

Why practice running slow? It comes naturally!

"There are two types of injuries that we older runners get: those that we can run with and those that we can't. And if you're over 30 and don't have one or the other, you aren't training hard enough." - Younger Legs blog

kevvyd
Bruce Kidd

Postby kevvyd » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:13 pm

JacSprat wrote:
kevvyd wrote:
CdnArtyWife wrote:
JacSprat wrote:
kevvyd wrote:Wet and mild here in Halifax. This morning was an hour in the gym doing the circuit and tonight I have a 1/2 hour row in front of the telly.

He's a longstanding member or RM...but only comes out for controversial political threads and other times when the whim strikes him. :wink:

Right Kev?

Actually, I faded from view over the past year as I basically had completely stopped running. Sigh. Over the past month or so I've been trying to get my a$$ out the door and onto the roads, and I've managed to get out often enough now that I have started to log my runs and feel a bit like a runner again. I was avoiding the forum because I felt guilty when instead I should have dived into it for encouragement.

I miss you guys. Hi JacSprat, maybe I'll see you around on the roads, though I live right in town.

Thx CAW...nice to meet you Kev. I work off Windmill at Grove Street. Run down around Alderney sometimes. Green cap or RM buff :D

That's DRDC, right? I work at BIO - down by the McKay bridge. Some days I run at lunchtime, but it seems that the last year or so my lunch "hour" has shrunk too much. I've been getting out in the morning lately. I'll keep my eye open for the green cap.
Kevin

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:26 pm

Hello grandma Sylvie ... Well, umm, we are still waiting to see some gratuitous photocs of your new Grandchild .... :P :wink:[/quote]

Need some techie help with how to post the picture -- I know I have to go through a website, but I don't remember where I saw that link :oops: :oops: Help????
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:28 pm

orleansrunner1962 wrote:Hello grandma Sylvie ... Well, umm, we are still waiting to see some gratuitous photocs of your new Grandchild .... :P :wink:

Need some techie help with how to post the picture -- I know I have to go through a website, but I don't remember where I saw that link :oops: :oops: Help????[/quote]

viewtopic.php?t=3748
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:42 pm

Thank you - worked perfectly.....
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

lisaannr
Abby Hoffman

Postby lisaannr » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:00 pm

well...I had planned on 30 minutes on the trainer, weights, core, and stretching but I ended up wasting 2 hours trying to get online (for work) this morning due to a software "push". ugh. So I may have to skip the spin to get some work done....
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer

moof324
Bill Crothers

Postby moof324 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:03 pm

HCmD wrote:
moof324 wrote:Nothing planned for today except working. Making it through an entire day will be a victory for me at the end of the day! Then have to study for the bar tonight--secured transactions, awesome.

Good Luck, Moofy .... So, how many drinks do you gotta mix and drink to pass your bar tonight ??? :roll:

Haha, I wish! :( No drinks on this medicine...hope to be off it by the weekend, since DH's Xmas party is Saturday night, and there is always wine a'plenty at his boss's house!

And great news! My boss gave me half days the rest of the week :) (Right, then why am I still at the office at 3pm? oh, because I've been off a week and still have work to do!)

But going home soon! If the rain stops, I'll have time to take a walk to see how I hold up!
2010: Cautiously coming back from 14 months of injury!
June 12: Race for the Cure 5K, Raleigh
June 26: Legal Run-Around 5K, Wilmington (28:51, PR!)
Jan. 8-9, 2011: Goofy!

Marathon Count: 6
Half Count: 7

JacSprat
Bill Crothers

Postby JacSprat » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:22 pm

kevvyd wrote:
JacSprat wrote:
kevvyd wrote:
CdnArtyWife wrote:
JacSprat wrote:

Right Kev?

That's DRDC, right? I work at BIO - down by the McKay bridge. Some days I run at lunchtime, but it seems that the last year or so my lunch "hour" has shrunk too much. I've been getting out in the morning lately. I'll keep my eye open for the green cap.

Correct! you must be one of those fast guys I've seen out there once in a while :D
Jacqui

------------------------

MyTraining

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:02 pm

JacSprat wrote:
kevvyd wrote:
JacSprat wrote:
kevvyd wrote:
CdnArtyWife wrote:
JacSprat wrote:

Right Kev?

Correct! you must be one of those fast guys I've seen out there once in a while :D

Okay...so Kev is your troll, and here I'd been calling drghfx a troll all this time. :wink:

kevvyd, Jac often says she's venturing over the bridge, past the troll...now we know who she's talking about. :P :twisted:
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

kevvyd
Bruce Kidd

Postby kevvyd » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:46 pm

CdnArtyWife wrote:
JacSprat wrote:
kevvyd wrote:
JacSprat wrote:

Okay...so Kev is your troll, and here I'd been calling drghfx a troll all this time. :wink:

kevvyd, Jac often says she's venturing over the bridge, past the troll...now we know who she's talking about. :P :twisted:

Wrong bridge, unfortunately. It's hard to believe, but the city of Halifax actually built one of its two bridges without the capacity to have a passenger or bike walkway. :think:

As for fast, no, that's not me. There are about twelve or so that I see regularly running at noon from BIO, and some of them are very fast indeed.
Kevin

JamesP123
Johnny Miles

Postby JamesP123 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:55 pm

fast 5k done today..not a big fan of all the ice everywhere.
off to the gym at 8 for a strength workout
--Pain is about seeing how strong you are mentaly--

PR's
800m: 2:00
1500m:4:14
5km:16:56
10km:36:47

JacSprat
Bill Crothers

Postby JacSprat » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:15 pm

kevvyd wrote:
CdnArtyWife wrote:
JacSprat wrote:
kevvyd wrote:
JacSprat wrote:

Wrong bridge, unfortunately. It's hard to believe, but the city of Halifax actually built one of its two bridges without the capacity to have a passenger or bike walkway. :think:

As for fast, no, that's not me. There are about twelve or so that I see regularly running at noon from BIO, and some of them are very fast indeed.

I'm glad you're not one of them...they're so fast they don't even smile or say hi :? I should have known and RMer wouldn't be like that.
Jacqui

------------------------

MyTraining

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:36 pm

25K on the slightly-less-icy sidewalks and bike paths. Given the weekend forecast, I might sneak some extra miles in on Thursday and Friday.

Run26.2
Jerome Drayton

Postby Run26.2 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:39 pm

A very slow 10km tonight at the RR....lots of snow down in the nation's capital and lots of hurdling of snowbanks.....a good workout!
"...twenty miles of hope, six miles of truth..."
21 marathons since 2001......up next, CND Army half-marathon in Sept. and Toronto Waterfront marathon in Oct.

ROW
Bill Crothers

Postby ROW » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:04 pm

6km in 31:45, felt good 2 major hills that didnt feel so rough so. The first run of ATB training. 3km tommorow, pretty short so I will do it fast.

Return to “General Running Discussion”