63%
As long after as I can
19%

Total votes: 16

Portentous
Bill Crothers

Fly home night after Marathon?

Postby Portentous » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:08 pm

Ok, I've got the itch for #1 after 5 years of halfs. The Chicago thread by Jill combined with seeing The spirit of the marathon last week have pulled me in. So, Chicago will be it. The only question now is when to fly home? I'll be leaving the kids behind, and don't want to be gone too long, but am nervous about flying home that night. What do you guys typically do?
Last edited by Portentous on Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:11 pm

What is the concern Port? Is it fatigue/soreness or other?
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

Portentous
Bill Crothers

Postby Portentous » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:18 pm

A little bit of fatigue/soreness, and I know there's a slight increased risk of complications of air travel after that type of exercise. Also a little anxiety about the rest of the day being a wash afterwards with a 7pm flight to catch. The last flights at 9, but I prefer having a little wiggle room if there is a problem with our flight. But also to get a feel for what most Maniacs do.

Obviously I could fly the next day, but with the little ports left at home with my in-laws, want to rescue them as quickly as possible!
Last edited by Portentous on Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:18 pm

What makes you nervous? Flying right after the race or is it the timing?

Maybe book the flight a bit later than necessary and if you get to the airport early see if you can go on an earlier flight? It isn't like you don't have a few flight times to choose from.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:19 pm

In terms of shower, maybe just plan on a day pass at a health club? Or ask at your hotel if you can have access to the fitness centre for the rest of the day?

The two races I've flown to, I stayed for a few days afterwards because I wanted to be a tourist. Chicago is a pretty short flight. I wouldn't worry about having to sit for that length of time.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:23 pm

Definitely get your nutrition up and hydrate as much as possible since you dehydrate on the flight in no time.
Advil if you feel owie.

BJH recommendation is good in terms of flight bookings. Always an option to hop on the earlier if timing works in your favour.
When I did Waterfront, I flew out the following morning but would have done same day if I had to.

Winnipeg I flew back same day - well that was the intention before weather became a factor, but that was a half, not a full.

I think you'll be ok. Give yourself ample time for slower walking. :)
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:23 pm

When we did Phoenix (Dave ran the full, I did the half), we had a flight booked to Vegas later that day - besides walking slow, there were no ill effects. And depending on the time the marathon starts, we've requested late check outs so that we had enough time to get back to the hotel to shower/change and get our luggage.
Race Hard. Race Happy.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:33 pm

You might want to book an aisle seat so you can stretch your legs out a bit more.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:35 pm

Let's see after the fulls...

Saint John, drove 2 hours.
Kentville, drove an hour.
Las Vegas, flew out next morning.
New Glasgow, a car ride for 2 hours.
Charlottetown, drove 4 hours. (Very, very, very bad idea.)
Philly, flew out that night.
London, flew out next morning from Hamilton
Washington, flew out next morning.
Quebec City, flew out next morning.

My vote is flying out the next morning. Absolutely the best way to go.
Bettina Peterson: "Where're you headed?"
Chuck Noland: "Well, I was just about to figure that out."

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:03 pm

Q wrote:My vote is flying out the next morning. Absolutely the best way to go.

That's what I chose to do for the one marathon where I had to fly to get there.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

kpoire
Bill Crothers

Postby kpoire » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:16 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:
Q wrote:My vote is flying out the next morning. Absolutely the best way to go.

That's what I chose to do for the one marathon where I had to fly to get there.
I would fly the next morning, if possible. When you get up on race morning you only have to concentrate on running the race and don't have to worry about checking out of a hotel, catching flights, etc, you can just enjoy the day. I think you will probably be sore / tired whether you fly that evening or the following morning.

(from someone who drove over 6 hours following the Detroit marathon...)

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:43 pm

In the 13 marathons that I've completed in the past 2 years, I've opted to stay the extra night, all except for 4 or 5, which were either local or within driving distance from Ottawa (Ottawa NCM, PEC, Toronto (Scotiabank and GoodLife), Hamilton) ....

One of the the perks of travelling to destination marathons is that I can go back to the hotel to shower, change, rest up, ice the legs and celebrate over dinner and a few brewskies, and as others have said, not to worry about travelling back and sitting hours at a time at the airport and/or plane ...

And, yes, I always try to get an aisle seat ...
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:47 pm

I'll also support the "next morning" option because it will be a lot more peace of mind. I've done same-day flights and long drives but I'm also recovering more quickly with each marathon. With the extra time, you can shower, vegetate, nurture blisters, have an excellent dinner, fall asleep before 9, and then be one proud and gimpy soul the next day.

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:56 pm

I agree with the others... it's not the physical aspect, it's the logistics. Chicago'll be quite an experience, and you don't want to fuss about getting packed up before the race and then cross the finish line and have to immediately start worrying about the time of day and where you need to be.

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:00 pm

But remember, he's balancing a next day return with concern of being away from his kids, as stated above. So while next day is optimum for all the reasons stated, you will indeed be ok physically with a same day return.

It's the sacrifice of time away from family against the sacrifice of celebrating, recovering, or whatever you plan to do after the race. That's the emotional side and only you can decide that one.
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:10 pm

Portentous wrote:Obviously I could fly the next day, but with the little ports left at home with my in-laws, want to rescue them as quickly as possible!

Umm, you looking to rescue the In-Laws from the kidlets or the kid-lits from the In-Laws ?? :shock: :lol: :wink:

For those Chicago Marathoners, do they have a post-race dinner and celebration, usually ? Who will you be flying down with?

If you decide to fly the same day/night as the race, can you get late checkout from the hotel? and, what and where do you plan to stay from after the race to hotel and at least 3 hours to be at the airport for Internationnal Flights ???

If you are going down with Mrs. Ports ... then, perhaps some celebration, as it is your first marathon, may be worth it ... Grandparents always love the opportunity to spend time to spoil the little one's from what I've been told :shifty::think: :wink: and, most likely the kidlets will be already in dream-land by the time you get home ....

Run26.2
Jerome Drayton

Postby Run26.2 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:03 pm

I flew home right after the Boston marathon in 2006 when I was without my family.......all I could think about was the money I was saving by not spending another night in a hotel!

Also flew home right after the Toronto marathon a few years ago........my attitude is, if my family is not with me I'm there to run and then go home.....I've missed out on the post-marathon parties etc. but I prefer sleepin' in my own bed!
"...twenty miles of hope, six miles of truth..."
21 marathons since 2001......up next, CND Army half-marathon in Sept. and Toronto Waterfront marathon in Oct.

bnn
Jerome Drayton

Postby bnn » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:41 pm

It's quite simple to get to the airport in Chicago (we used the train - well mostly).... After the marathon we were all settled into our condo by about 4pm. I would just make sure the flight is later (like 10pm if you can!) to give yourself lots of time (ask for a late checkout or find someone willing to let you use their hotel room post-race). We all went for drinks at the hancock tower that night and nobody was feeling pain until the next day. Heh.
Just call me the thread killa

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:03 pm

I said next day. Sounds like you'll be with your wife, no? You'll want to take in all the stuff happening around Grant Park for a while... there's lots of activity! (At least there was when I was there!) Plus, you will have earned the right to eat an entire deep dish Chicago pizza for dinner that night! Prats can probably give you the name of the fabulous restaurant we went to! :)
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:22 pm

trixiee wrote: Plus, you will have earned the right to eat an entire deep dish Chicago pizza for dinner that night!

If someone eats an entire Pizzeria Uno pizza and then flies, they should have to pay an extra fuel surcharge. Might need to charter one of those Antonov planes! :shock:

bnn
Jerome Drayton

Postby bnn » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:18 am

dgrant wrote:
trixiee wrote: Plus, you will have earned the right to eat an entire deep dish Chicago pizza for dinner that night!

If someone eats an entire Pizzeria Uno pizza and then flies, they should have to pay an extra fuel surcharge. Might need to charter one of those Antonov planes! :shock:

One slice will about do you in.
Just call me the thread killa

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:44 am

It's such a short flight, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Portentous
Bill Crothers

Postby Portentous » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:53 am

Wow, thanks for all the great (and fast replies). Yes the plan is to head down there with just Mrs. Ports for a semi-holiday. I'd love to bring down the kids too but I'll want to relax as much as possible before and after the race, and this way Mrs. Ports will be able to explore and enjoy Chicago a little bit more.

It seems that the smart money says to stay a 3rd night. I'd consider skipping Friday, but want to get there a little early so I don't have to worry about flight delays stopping me from getting my race kit.

I'm assuming that if I register on day 1, I'll have no problems entering the race. Is that accurate? I should ask that in the Chicago thread. But, as I posted in the Chicago thread flights are dirt cheap (for Canadians), and are going for $550 round trip for both of us taxes in. Flying Porter would be the best as they fly right to downtown Chicago, but who knows if they'll still be around in October, and they don't prebook more than 3 months in advance. So, if oil goes back up the flights could double in price later on.

Man, I am rambling on. Oh well, the thought of it is making me nervous already! I would prefer NYC, but Chicago seems quite comparable (except I don't know the course or city like NY which would've made it more fun), without worrying about getting in the lottery. And this will be much cheaper than depending on Tour operators for NYC which would've cost $3,000 + for the two of us last year. This will be under $1,300. Ok, must book something today and lock myself (and these prices) in.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:58 am

Umm, another fun race and experience would also be Marine Corps ... :wink: :P

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:58 am

You shouldn't have any problems registering on day 1 Rich...
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Return to “General Running Discussion”