My failed attempt at volunteering (race report).

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

My failed attempt at volunteering (race report).

Postby AirForceRunner » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:46 pm

Inaugural St. Paddy's day Easter Seals Race was today in Kingston. I had signed on as a volunteer, as a way of being near racing without running. Plus, its the Easter Seals...great charity.
Well, that went all to heck once I got there. They had plenty of volunteers, so I figured "I'm here...why not support financially instead of volunteering."
So with 20 minutes to go until gun, I changed into a pair of shorts and shoes, handed over $25, and ran the race. :D
Nothing spectacular...turns out it was a short course...4.52 km. No slight to the organizers. A leader took a wrong turn, and everyone else just followed. Finished the short course in 20:15, which translates into a 22:24 for 5 km.
Way off pace from last year, but with the knee and surgery upcoming, the fact I can get out and run is a win for me. :D
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:57 pm

:naughty: :naughty: careful there, Airforcey ... but, you are still a smokin' fast dude considering your injury and minimal training ...

:shock: :shock: Surprised that the Race Organizers did not DQ everyone for taking wrong turn ... :shock: :shock:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:59 pm

HCmD wrote::naughty: :naughty: careful there, Airforcey ... but, you are still a smokin' fast dude considering your injury and minimal training ...

:shock: :shock: Surprised that the Race Organizers did not DQ everyone for taking wrong turn ... :shock: :shock:

It was a charity race...methinks DQing everyone would have had a negative impact on next year's race...LOL!!
AS for being careful...no worries. I'm not training at all. Just the odd race here and there. And if they're going to repair me knee anyways... :twisted:

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:15 pm

AirForceRunner wrote:
HCmD wrote::naughty: :naughty: careful there, Airforcey ... but, you are still a smokin' fast dude considering your injury and minimal training ...

It was a charity race...methinks DQing everyone would have had a negative impact on next year's race...LOL!!
AS for being careful...no worries. I'm not training at all. Just the odd race here and there. And if they're going to repair me knee anyways... :twisted:

I guess if that had at least one more volunteer on the course, perhaps, the Leader would have not made a wrong turn and stayed on course, eh !! :shifty: :shock: :lol: :wink:

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:57 pm

HCmD wrote:
AirForceRunner wrote:

I guess if that had at least one more volunteer on the course, perhaps, the Leader would have not made a wrong turn and stayed on course, eh !! :shifty: :shock: :lol: :wink:

I knew you were going to say that :lol: :lol:

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler

-Jack Kerouac

-Smack

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:10 pm

Oops on the shortened course. But as you say, great cause who's going to worry about it.
Congrats on participating, supporting a great cause and coming up with a great time.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:56 am

AirForceRunner wrote:
HCmD wrote:
AirForceRunner wrote:

I knew you were going to say that :lol: :lol:

Predictable, eh !!! :oops: :oops:

Though, my initial thought was, had you been 100% healthy like last year, there would not have been an issue, as you would have been the one leading the pack ......

on the flip side, we are currently at the same race fitness level for the short game ... :shifty: just sayin' :oops: :oops: :wink:

flexrun
Bruce Kidd

Postby flexrun » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:09 pm

Nice race!
"ian - world record pacer" - Rick Ball
Mississauga Marathon 2008 - BQ 3:17:38
Bread and Honey 15k 2008 - 1:03:51
Ottawa 10k- May 09 - 37:55 WR
Bread and Honey 5k- 17:37 pb
Army Run Sept/ 09 - 1:20:44 WR
Boston -3:01:50 world record single leg amputee
Ottawa May 10,WR 2:57:47
Boiling point, Windsor, July 2011 - 400m 57.73 .

my website

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:29 pm

that's a really short course! would have been a good time for 5k though.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Return to “Run/Race Reports”