Robbie-T @ Waterloo Marathon 2009 (plus race pics)

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Robbie-T @ Waterloo Marathon 2009 (plus race pics)

Postby Robbie-T » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:23 pm

So the year of no marathons eh!!

After a good training season and a great ATB race I got the bug (well I had it before then), then once we found out we were going to have a baby in the fall that just gave me more motivation to run a Marathon now. I picked Waterloo because it was a local marathon that wasn't on Mother's Day.

My pre-race planning was going excellent until the power went out right after my nap, I thought no biggie it won't be out for long then I could get back on plan. Supper time came, I want to eat my whole wheat pasta around 5:00, no power. I BBQ'd for my parents, the boys and Bridie while she went to get me some take out pasta (bless her), we ate about 7pm. I want to take my pre bedtime shower and shave still no power. Luckily the power came on in the middle of the night, so did half the lights in the house at 4am, I take my shower in the morning. Anyway things turned out fine, just not as smoothly as desired.

Got to the race early, talked to Ron and CasualRunner briefly and I was off. My goal was 2:55, I knew the course was going to be tough, B goal sub 3. Plan was to start off with 4:10-15 pace for 20-25k then turn it up best I could. After about 6-7k I was in 6th place and on my own, 1-5 were way ahead already, a guy from UK caught up to me and we cruised and chatted together for quite a while. My family showed up for the first time around 13k, turns out they were about half the spectators that were on the course today.

About 5k were on a gravel road, it felt like home, until a couple Mennonite horse and buggies past us. We carried on and past the family a couple more times. At around 27k I drop my friend and start taking off, I go through the wooden cover bridge and there is my family waiting for me on the other side. At this point (30k) I'm now in 4th and the next guy is easily a km in front of me (later my Mom tells me they were over 4:30 ahead, but didn't tell me as to not break my spirit), I can barely see him on some straight aways, I think there is no chance I can make up the ground, these guys are good runners and it is too late in the race, and I concentrate on finishing best I can.

At about 34-35k I see Bridie and she reports that the two guys in front have slowed, I give her through her my hat (the Kara Goucher through down) and tell her I'll catch them. A couple km later I pass one guy, he's dead, and I'm now in 3rd, I can see Kyle and 2nd place and I try my best to catch them. The wind and hills in this final stretch were very tough, I caught #2 at 40k, he didn't put up a fight at all, he stepped aside and let me through. Now I set my sights on Kyle, and I'm gaining on him but I'm running out of race. I see him looking back many times and I do what I can but there just isn't any road left. I think I could have caught him with another km.
Final time 2:55:51

I'm very happy with 2nd (that should get me on the front page of MarathonGuide.com tomorrow with Wanjiru) and being able to power through that course, about a 2 min negative split, and first place in my age group. If I'd have been neck and neck with Kyle for the race then I died or he out kicked me then I'd have regrets, but that didn't happen, I finished super strong and PB'd.

2 frozen chocolate bunnies are calling my name now. I must eat them.

splits http://itsmyrun.com/laps.php?id=15012

5-20:37
10-21:07
15-21:11
20-20:51
25-20:57
30-20:35
35-20:14
40-20:26

21k-1:28:07
42k-1:26:07

ImageImageImageImage

http://www.creativeambiance.ca/eventgallerysearch/11040/115/1/
Last edited by Robbie-T on Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:28 pm

Fantastic! Sounds like a great race.

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:28 pm

Awesome :clap:. Congrats on a fantastic race!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:29 pm

Enjoy your bunnies! I'll be Wanjiru didn't get chocolate bunnies after his race!

Congrats!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:29 pm

As always, excellent execution of a race plan, Robbie. The question is, are you even coherent of the term 'ceiling'? That term just doesn't seem to exist in your running world.
Now...how to pay off that bookie I wagered 10 grand with that you'd win... :shock: :lol:
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:32 pm

Awesome race, dude ... and, a crazy negative split, ta boot .... Congratulations :clap::clap:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:33 pm

You have such incredible focus and determination.. holy smokes.
You say it and make it so... of course with an incredible amount of training to back it up. Way to go Rob, well deserved PB and just another milestone of more to come, I'm sure. Thanks for such a vivid and exciting report to read.

Congrats man...
Hope the bunnies are yummy, enjoy! 8)
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

eljeffe
Bill Crothers

Postby eljeffe » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:33 pm

Mr. Consistant rides again. Nice.

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:35 pm

Great report, nice to meet you again!

So where does your take out pasta come from :wink:

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:39 pm

Holy crap Robbie, just amazing. I saw your splits on itsmyrun and you just kept getting faster. That's so strong, are you ready for ultras or what? 2nd place is good but you're ready to be number one.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:40 pm

never thought of freezing chocolate - sounds heavenly - thanks for the idea!

oh and that running thingy - great job - you clearly have the conditioning, the discipline and the tactics to succeed. outstanding!
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

redhead
Bill Crothers

Postby redhead » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:41 pm

You are a wonder Robbie-T.
"cruised and chatted together" at a 4:10 pace ... does not even compute in my brain.
Congratulations on another incredible race.

cgraham
Bill Crothers

Postby cgraham » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:43 pm

great job out there. Nice negative split and nice PB to boot. Even better when you consider this is just a rebound race after your A race a month ago. Very impressive.
2009 Highlights
Marathon - 2:54:05 (Mar 22 - Tokyo)
Half - 1:20:00 (Apr 26 - Hartwell)
5k - 17:09 (Acura 5k - Jul 19)
800m - 2:16.80 (York U - Jul 28 )
Now - Getting back my running fitness
My training log

Why practice running slow? It comes naturally!

"There are two types of injuries that we older runners get: those that we can run with and those that we can't. And if you're over 30 and don't have one or the other, you aren't training hard enough." - Younger Legs blog

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:43 pm

Super impressive race and an excellent report. Congratulations on yet another awesome performance.

(And congratulations on the new baby due later this year).
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

getfit
Jerome Drayton

Postby getfit » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:24 pm

You're amazing Robbie-T !!! You work so hard in your training and it pays off every time. Well done :D
"I'm not sufficiently organized or ambitious to do all the things you're supposed to do if you're serious. The more time you spend fiddlediddling with this and that, the less time there is to run." ED WHITLOCK

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:30 pm

Awesome to see your hard work paying off again.

Do you always do doubles the week leading up to a race? (saw your itsmyrun stats) If so, why?

Hope your bunnies were delicious. Good job not letting the power outage steal your focus!!!
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:40 pm

Absolutely amazing for a bit of an impulse race. Enjoy your week in the MarathonGuide spotlight.

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:44 pm

I'm so happy for you! Congrats!! :D
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:49 pm

Lightning wrote:Do you always do doubles the week leading up to a race? (saw your itsmyrun stats) If so, why?

The week before I start tapering I try to max out my mileage, usually I do that with a double, my longest long run and long daily runs. This time I only did a 2 week taper. Its just about maximizing my mileage and that is what I think is the key for running a strong marathon and not slowing pace in the final kms.

Thanks Y'all
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Robbie-T @ Waterloo Marathon 2009

Postby Jwolf » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:51 pm

Robbie-T wrote:I'm very happy with 2nd (that should get me on the front page of MarathonGuide.com tomorrow with Wanjiru) ...

I love it, Rob. :)

Congratulations on another great marathon. You make the sub-3 look so easy now (I know it's not)-- it's amazing to think how far you've come since that first marathon tatoo.

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:55 pm

Holy moly! I was looking forward to reading your report! I can't imagine the feeling, let alone the speed at which you ran that race! It won't be long before we start reading that you are getting money along with your finisher medals. Nicely done! Congratulations on the podium finish and the PB!
Ultrarunner again

Magoo
Tom Longboat

Postby Magoo » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:00 pm

Great race Rob! Your family were the life of the course. Great job sticking to your time goal on a rough course and day.
What time is LOVE?

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:56 am

Most impressive Robbie! I cannot fathom the speeds you're pulling down. Truly awe inspiring. :clap:
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:00 am

To quote one of my Heroes - Dude!

Congrats Hero.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:33 am

Amazing Rob, wish I had made it there to see it.

By the way, I think you are the only marathoner to ever wish there was another km at the end of the race :lol:
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

Return to “Run/Race Reports”