AirForceRunner's Trifecta at the NCM Weekend

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

AirForceRunner's Trifecta at the NCM Weekend

Postby AirForceRunner » Sun May 24, 2009 6:16 pm

Wow....where do I even begin with this. I'll try to keep it short, but reserve the right to edit as stuff pops back into mind.
Stayed at U of O for the weekend, so proximity to the events was great. I went out for the 5 km at around 4 pm, and started some light jogging, waiting for the GPS to lock. At 4:45, I hopped the fence and stationed myself in the second row. After a delay of 10 minutes, they finally started us, and just like last year, a bunch of teenagers with no business near the front tangled up and there was a massive dogpile to my left. I hope all fared OK.
Less than 500 metres into the race, my shoe came untied. CRAP!!! What a rookie error to make. I just let it go and hoped for the best. A quick look at the GPS to judge speed, and wadaya know, batteries are dead. Rookie mistake # 2. DOH!!
The race itself was uneventful, smoothly run, crossing the line in 20:14 chip. I'll take it.
Ran back to the residence for a quick shower, and got back in time for the 10 km with 10 mins to spare. Once again, hopped the fence for a close to the front start. Off goes the horn and off we go (this time with no dogpiles). The plan was to run this conservative and save something for the next morning. My first 5 km's were all with 4:45-4:47...pretty consistent considering no GPS. The 10 km route is a gorgeous course...I really enjoyed it! But the highlight was the Maniac section on the Pretoria bridge. I was on the far side of the bridge when I caught the orange, and made a B-line for them. I hollered "MANIACS", and I'm pretty sure it was Carrie who I locked eyes with. They were hooting and hollering like wild, and it gave me such a charge, I carried on past pumping my arms in the air. It was AWESOME!!! Thanks guys. Finished the race with a nifty little spirint, 47:00 even.
Now comes the problems...I had been eating frankenfood all day, nothing real. After the race, I decided Subway was what I wanted. Problem is, when I got to the one near res, it was closed. Ended up eating 2 Vector bars and a bag of chips. Yeah....more frankenfood....great.
Despite the 2 races, I couldn't sleep....there I was, eating last of my chips at 3:30 in the morning watching Seinfeld. This is how all the greats prepare, isn't it? Hit the sack at 3:45, only to have my roommates alarm go off at 4:15 (he was running the full). It was at this point that I decided the half was out of the question. I got up and watched a bit more TV when a thought popped into my head "I promised my son I was going to win him 3 medals this weekend". Its funny, if you put a gun to my head, I still wasn't running it, but coming home without 3 medals made it a no-brainer.
So, fast forward to 8:50. Again, jump the fence, this time with my training partner. His goal was 1:35...mine was finish. Said a quick 'hi' to DGrant at the start line. The horn went, and I foolishly went with my training partner. I hung onto 4:35 km's for 7 km, then slapped him on the butt, said "good game", and let him go.
I hit the 9 km mat in 43:56 and it was from here that the wheels fell off. Caught a bad case of the 'walksies', and just hoped I could finish.
At about 17 km-ish, I grabbed a water, and low and behold, it was an old high school girlfriend who was volunteering. With a decent personal result all but gone, I turned around and chatted with her for 4-5 minutes. She thought I was crazy, but what the heck, the gas tank was empty. Carried on, felt a blister pop at 18. Ugh!! Tried to run a little different to favour the blister, but that just made my knee scream at me.
I finally put an end to my misery at 1:56:26.
So I did it, I pulled it off, and I will never do such a foolish thing again with so little training. But I gotta tell ya, it felt pretty good when after my shower, I got to strut around city hall with all 3 medals on. Yeah, that's a pretty brazen thing to do, but I was pretty sure I'd earned it.
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Sun May 24, 2009 6:26 pm

You are crazy, but I am sure that your son likes his new medals :D.

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sun May 24, 2009 6:27 pm

Some things we just have to learn the hard way. Well done to complete the saga, and stop listening to Andy.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Sun May 24, 2009 6:29 pm

Good Show!
:D

Explains why I didn't see you this morning...
:wink:
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sun May 24, 2009 6:30 pm

Well done, Issac :shock: :lol: :wink:

You crazy AirForcey, You ... Never a doubt that you would do it, dude ... now rest up, will ya ... :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Sun May 24, 2009 6:39 pm

Sadly, the medals are locked in the car the CF gave us for this trip. :oops:
Andy...haha...ya like that name? That my actual first name, so its on all my military documentation.
And Doonst...learn the hard way...bah!! Pretty sure I predicted a massive implosion. This was done purely as a way of potentially walking away from running on my own terms, which I did.

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Sun May 24, 2009 6:43 pm

Wow, you're own kind of goofy, with a three medal outcome....way to go.
You sure know how to bring the hurt! :shock:

Congrats!
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Sun May 24, 2009 6:44 pm

Oh yeah...I can't walk down stairs right now....OUCH!!

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler

-Jack Kerouac

-Smack

ratherBrunning
Jerome Drayton

Postby ratherBrunning » Sun May 24, 2009 6:46 pm

Three medals, all hard fought for and earned! Congrats!! :D
Louise

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sun May 24, 2009 6:47 pm

AirForceRunner wrote:Sadly, the medals are locked in the car the CF gave us for this trip. :oops:
Andy...haha...ya like that name? That my actual first name, so its on all my military documentation.
And Doonst...learn the hard way...bah!! Pretty sure I predicted a massive implosion. This was done purely as a way of potentially walking away from running on my own terms, which I did.

Oh, ok, makes sense, however, they had you in the M25-29 Category :shock: :?

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Sun May 24, 2009 6:50 pm

HCmD wrote:
AirForceRunner wrote:Sadly, the medals are locked in the car the CF gave us for this trip. :oops:

Seriously? I'll have to look into that.
and seeing as you are prowling Sportstats...my last name for the half was Moffatt.

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler

-Jack Kerouac

-Smack

runlolarun
Tom Longboat

Postby runlolarun » Sun May 24, 2009 6:53 pm

Sometimes you can't help but put on the external input blinders and follow the path you picked - hopefully not to ruin. Congrats on completing your goal. Wishes go out for a successful surgery, a good recovery and a smooth move.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sun May 24, 2009 6:56 pm

AirForceRunner wrote:
HCmD wrote:

Seriously? I'll have to look into that.
and seeing as you are prowling Sportstats...my last name for the half was Moffatt.

Guess they don't change your records often :shifty: and, Kathy has a nice PB for her 1/2 :P

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Sun May 24, 2009 6:59 pm

Crazy guy! Your son will be proud. So I guess a Goofy should be put on the schedule for the future. :wink:

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun May 24, 2009 7:38 pm

you are crazy! sounds like an adventure you'll remember for a while.

enjoy those medals!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Sun May 24, 2009 9:13 pm

Me thinks your actions make you certifiable. Until you throw in the promise to your son. Three medals, you HAD to do it.

Nice.

Rest, now rest.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Tred Miller
Bruce Kidd

Postby Tred Miller » Sun May 24, 2009 9:17 pm

Well done. There not Donald, Mickey, and Goofy; but just as good.
Live to Run; Run to Live.

Albertatraildog
Bruce Kidd

Postby Albertatraildog » Sun May 24, 2009 11:08 pm

Well done! 3 races in one weekend is pretty impressive! Wear them tomorrow to work with pride!
ATD

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Mon May 25, 2009 12:25 am

:roll:

You, sir, are NUTS. :lol:

Good on ya!
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Mon May 25, 2009 6:42 am

Tori wrote:Crazy guy! Your son will be proud. So I guess a Goofy should be put on the schedule for the future. :wink:

Absolutely not. After this weekend, I confirmed that I am not a longer distance guy. I have nothing but respect for you regular marathoners.
I think I'll stick to my 'nickel and dime' races.

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler

-Jack Kerouac

-Smack

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon May 25, 2009 6:57 am

You crazy guy......I mean this in the nicest way :D

You're a big goof. :wink:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

klc
Jerome Drayton

Postby klc » Mon May 25, 2009 8:26 am

WOW! That really is crazy! I hope your son liked the medals.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon May 25, 2009 8:28 am

AirForceRunner wrote:
Tori wrote:Crazy guy! Your son will be proud. So I guess a Goofy should be put on the schedule for the future. :wink:

Absolutely not. After this weekend, I confirmed that I am not a longer distance guy. I have nothing but respect for you regular marathoners.
I think I'll stick to my 'nickel and dime' races.

Tampa Bay as the Michelob and Bud Light Ultra's ....

Michelob Ultra - 5K / 10K on Saturday and Marathon on Sunday
Bud Light - 5K / 10K on Saturday and 1/2 Marathon on Sunday

You game ?? :twisted: :twisted: :wink:

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Mon May 25, 2009 8:31 am

So much bling, so little thinking... :P

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon May 25, 2009 8:37 am

ian wrote:So much bling, so little thinking... :P

ROFL...perfect Ian :D :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Return to “Run/Race Reports”