Robbie-T @ Bread and Honey 5k

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Robbie-T @ Bread and Honey 5k

Postby Robbie-T » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:07 pm

The master plan is to earn some leg speed training and running these shorter races then use it to run a faster Half/Full Marathon and have a stronger XC season.

The first goal, and long time goal is to run sub 18min 5k, McMillan thinks I can do it based on my ATB time, however 5k and 30k and much different races.

I'm still working on getting my legs to turn over quicker, I think this is more of a mental problem and getting use to where the point of no return is in a 5k race.

The weather was perfect, nice and cool, not much wind. I went into this race a bit low on confidence to pull this off. The first km is a gentle incline, I could tell after the first that I was going to have to run catchup in the second half. The rest of the race I pushed about as hard as I "thought" I could and it was "mostly" uncomfortable. When we came to the 5k/15k split I thought I should have ran the 15k, I thought I would have a better chance holding my current pace for the rest of 15k then to run sub 18 today.

Once we got back on Britannia I tried to pick it up, up the hill, and then drive to home for the final km. I was gaining on a few runners and eventually passed one or two. One of them waged a sneak attack on me right in the final meters. (dirty rat)

Final chip time 18:10 PB
Overall 18th
AG 5th

Splits (this adds to 18:16, odd)
3:42
3:44
3:41
3:43
3:26

Anyway a good time was had, I got to meet Flex and Bsquared and that new bear-puppy, all good folks. 5k races are fun, they sure don't last very long on paper, but mentally they last as long as a marathon and at the end I feel like I have run a marathon.

I feel sad that I missed my long run this weekend, that is my spiritual time.
Last edited by Robbie-T on Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:17 pm

Still a speedy race Robbie - good effort. 5 km is too short for spiritual time? :wink:
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:33 pm

Best of both worlds... a nice result and a workout that'll help make you stronger.

Sucks about missing your spiritual time though. Maybe make up for it by reading Oprah's magazine on the toilet?

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:59 pm

That's still a 5K PB for you, right? I agree that sub-18 is there for you, but perhaps the delayed gratification of having to work for it a bit is better in the long run.

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:20 pm

Nice race, Rob. Way to push all the way from start to finish. If you want to get under 18 you're going to have to blow off a few more cobwebs in training. None of those wussy 800 and 1K repeats..you need a bunch of 200 & 400 blasters.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:21 pm

That's a great performance, and I think your splits show that maybe you could have gone out a bit harder after all. Congrats - sub 18 will be there soon.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

cgraham
Bill Crothers

Postby cgraham » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:03 pm

Good start - 11 seconds isn't a lot to cut. A bit more speed training and I have no doubt you'll smash through 18:00. Just remember, pain is your friend.
2009 Highlights
Marathon - 2:54:05 (Mar 22 - Tokyo)
Half - 1:20:00 (Apr 26 - Hartwell)
5k - 17:09 (Acura 5k - Jul 19)
800m - 2:16.80 (York U - Jul 28 )
Now - Getting back my running fitness
My training log

Why practice running slow? It comes naturally!

"There are two types of injuries that we older runners get: those that we can run with and those that we can't. And if you're over 30 and don't have one or the other, you aren't training hard enough." - Younger Legs blog

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:23 pm

Hey...you forgot to mention this is a PB!
I have no doubt you'll get your sub 18 soon. You're focused, determined and you put the work in. :D

Next time you e-mail me before a race telling me you don't think you're going to make your goal I've decided I'll e-mail you back with "I don't hear you" :D :wink:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:35 pm

11 seconds? Hmmm... 2.2 seconds per km. :think:

I don't think I could suggest that you "dig deeper" because you always dig as deep as you can (and then some).

Hey, what if you got a running start at it? Would that help? :wink: :lol:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

richie-rich
Bill Crothers

Postby richie-rich » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:43 pm

11 seconds¿ just run a faster course :lol:

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:01 pm

That sounds like a strong effort. I am sure you can go a minute faster than that if you sharpen up your training. I don't see much if any specific 5km pace in your log and I'm sure you do have (at least) 3:30 kilometers in your legs. It's probably just a bit rusty.
There is also a long time between smiley faces in the "how you felt" column and that doesn't usually bode well for faster pacing.

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:28 pm

Congrats on a solid race! A 5k at that speed is mentally as intense as a marathon. Here's to another strong season!
Ultrarunner again

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:08 pm

Nice PB, but frustrating finish...so close to the goal.
You'll get it (17:45) in Minden.
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

flexrun
Bruce Kidd

Postby flexrun » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:38 pm

Great pb Robbie! You are an inspiration to many, while in Ottawa a couple of weeks ago I heard a lot of praise about you and your accomplishments. You have a great story, one that many can relate to. Keep up the good work and I hope to meet you again sometime.
"ian - world record pacer" - Rick Ball
Mississauga Marathon 2008 - BQ 3:17:38
Bread and Honey 15k 2008 - 1:03:51
Ottawa 10k- May 09 - 37:55 WR
Bread and Honey 5k- 17:37 pb
Army Run Sept/ 09 - 1:20:44 WR
Boston -3:01:50 world record single leg amputee
Ottawa May 10,WR 2:57:47
Boiling point, Windsor, July 2011 - 400m 57.73 .

my website

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:50 am

Wow! Can you come to the Trot next year? The same guy has won it each and every year... It would be good for him to have some competition - make it a real race! (His finish time was pretty close to yours!) :D
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:50 am

I didn' t think that guy caught you at the line, really. The times are the same, maybe they just gave it to him based alphabetically. That's what I have to tell myself to make any sense of this world.
Faster than ever, each and every time!
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:26 pm

Nice PB Robbie-T. I know what you mean about missing the training run!

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:58 am

Good work, and I like your reflection of how the race went. I'm trying to do the same thing right now- sharpen up the faster running to get a faster full- and it's certainly not easy! I can relate to that feeling of "give me a few seconds per km and I'll go three times as far" too. :) I agree that you probably have a faster run in you- give yourself some time to shift that focus from longer to faster. You got a pb, anyway!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:13 am

No matter what you do, you kick @ss and take names . . . 8)
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:42 am

Thanks Folks!!

Yes it was a PB thats very cool, and PB is good on toast.

Doonst: Thanks, that is what I need to believe too

Pat: 3:30km all 5? I agree had a string of Red Guys last month need more Happy Green Guys to run fast.

Nick: I did some 500m blasters yesterday, I'm easing my way down.

Darth: Spiritual time is suppose to be relaxing, not 5k of praying to my shoes to go faster.

Trix: I'm trying to get back to Trot to the Beach again, I want one of those rock medals.
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:57 pm

Why not 3:30 for all 5?
You will notice that the guys of your ability level (going by longer race times) are only racing 5k's faster than you because they spend a little more time practicing the specific pace needed.

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:15 pm

Pat Menzies wrote:Why not 3:30 for all 5?
You will notice that the guys of your ability level (going by longer race times) are only racing 5k's faster than you because they spend a little more time practicing the specific pace needed.

I suppose that makes sense now, I trained myself to bang out 4:00 pace for 30k now I just need to train banging out 3:30 pace for a little while, sounds easy now. Make the uncomfortable comfortable.
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:22 pm

Robbie-T wrote: Make the uncomfortable comfortable.

BINGO!!
I went from 22:30 to just above 20 flat in 10 weeks doing essentially nothing but that. Granted it was a return to form, but still...

Now, if I can do the same again over 8 weeks (2 min), I may just have to meet you 'some place for some race'. :roll: :lol: :twisted:

what the hell am I getting myself into..
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

richie-rich
Bill Crothers

Postby richie-rich » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:36 pm

Robbie-T wrote:I suppose that makes sense now, I trained myself to bang out 4:00 pace for 30k now I just need to train banging out 3:30 pace for a little while, sounds easy now. Make the uncomfortable comfortable.

Rob, I'm sure you can knock off the time and run sub 18. If anyone can do it you can

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:26 pm

Doonst, see I did get him at the line. We can all sleep better now. No wonder you felt sick all week long.

Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

Return to “Run/Race Reports”