Once again, Doonst Baits the Vulture

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Once again, Doonst Baits the Vulture

Postby Doonst » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:36 pm

Today was my third time running the Vulture Bait 25 K trail race, around Fanshawe Reservoir near London On. In 2005 it was my first ever 25 K, taking 2:25. In 2006 I did it right in the middle of the Fall Tour (10 races of 20-25 K in 10.2 weeks) and my time was 2:11:02.

It was a beautiful day for running, after worrying about the cold all week. Sunny and bright, started at about one degree. Cold mostly on my ears for the first 40 minutes. Maybe a third of the people in shorts, I wore light loose running pants. Short sleeve over long sleeve RM shirts, mime gloves and ball cap. I also chose to wear street shoes because it has been dry all week, my lightest ones- Mizuno Elixers, worked out fine.

Saw lots of familiar faces and some new ones, before during and after. Viking, Ultra Queenga, Nature Girl and Bgroot, then West Grey on the course, and Jono after. Also some acquaintances from other OUSer and 5 Peaks races. Old home week for Ontario trail racers, last big splash.

I was a little nervous about today because all my recent pains have been in attendance in the last week. Sharp knee pain that cursed me for the last 6 K of the Toad 2 weeks ago was my biggest fear.

Its a great race, easy going yet well organized. Fast course and always well marked, as it should be, job one. The first 8 K are mostly on grass fields, fast straight trails, or campground roads. I kept up a good pace here, running by feel. So far I was happy, feeling good and averaging sub 5 pace. Not a lot of aid stations, but it was cool so it was fine. I think they were at 5 K, 11.5, 17 and 22. My only real complaint about the race: after serving Heed ( which I like just fine) at the first 3 stations, the last one had Gatorade? I don't know if I've seen that before, mixing drinks, I took water at the last one.

There was a new section or altered, that they called the lollipop. Out, loop, then back. More about that later. Still feeling good in the single track starting around 8 K. It really is a fast course for a trail race. Still some rolling starts here. Nice views of the lake from all directions as you run. In the neighbourhood of the 11.5 K aid station I ate a gel, ditched my gloves, and peed. That all wasted a good minute. I had slowed a bit but that was due to terrain. I was just glad I was cooking along with no real pain/injury issues. Of course I had several varied time goals but I was running by feel. Up to about 15 K I was pleasantly surprised by my pace. Then go figure I started to fall off the pace. I still felt fine, just less snap in the legs. I could see it happening on my Garmin, increasingly as the race went on.

About 19 K the Viking passed me (yes doing the 50 K) and we had a brief chat. After that it came to me, that I had hoped in the spring to make this my first ultra. Oh well, it didn't happen, maybe next year. I did notice that he disappeared quite quickly, I guess I was really slowing down. I did know by this time that I wasn't going to break any records today. I got a few good splits in near the end, but they took their toll. I would get down from seeing my pace, pick it up, then slow down again because I was tired. Ultra Queenga passed me just before my finish; again disappearing quite smartly, and again she was doing 2 loops.

Then I was done. Time of 2:20:55. Or almost 10 minutes slower than in 2006. I have to admit that didn't beat any of my 3 time goals. But it was such a beautiful day, I finished, and without any significant pain or injury. Everybody was so friendly, the food was great, the pavilion was warm. But 10 minutes slower! Than '06, when my half time was 5 minutes slower than now. I have to admit the numbers were as disappointing as the experience was fine.

At home comparing the distance and maps from my Garmin and SportTracks, I can see the difference in the course. It was changed, I show it 0.27 K longer, or about 90 seconds at my pace. Somehow that makes me feel a bit better about the numbers.

So I had a good time, feeling good, not nearly so beat up as after the Toad, and I'll get that endurance back I promise!
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Re: Once again, Doonst Baits the Vulture

Postby Robbie-T » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:58 pm

atta boy Doonst, you make me proud every time, that is another race I need to show up at some day.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:01 pm

Sheldon, so sorry that I missed you out there. Rabid was taking pics on the first loop just past the rowing club so I hope you were wearing something that made you stand out? 8)

You've pushed through an injury this year and you're coming back, just not as quickly as you would like. See you in Sulphur in May ;)

(Hopefully before that though)
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:02 pm

MINI-T wrote:Sheldon, so sorry that I missed you out there. Rabid was taking pics on the first loop just past the rowing club so I hope you were wearing something that made you stand out? 8)

You've pushed through an injury this year and you're coming back, just not as quickly as you would like. See you in Sulphur in May ;)

(Hopefully before that though)

Oh yes I saw him and he called out!
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:42 pm

No pains, no wardrobe malfunctions, no wonder it was sort of an enjoyable day...

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:04 pm

Nice one Doonst. Glad the knee was alright.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:16 am

Your report is a great read Doonst. After all the troubles you have had this season finishing this race pain free is a real triumph.

richie-rich
Bill Crothers

Postby richie-rich » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:31 am

West Grey Runner wrote:Your report is a great read Doonst. After all the troubles you have had this season finishing this race pain free is a real triumph.

my thoughts exactly. your times will improve with your endurance. the main thing is you ran that far without pain.

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:35 am

West Grey Runner wrote:Your report is a great read Doonst. After all the troubles you have had this season finishing this race pain free is a real triumph.

Ditto. Exactly what I was thinking. It's a win if you finished this race happy and with no pain after the injury difficulties you have had this year. :D
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

Kristen
Bill Crothers

Postby Kristen » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:45 am

Awesome job! Definitely a great day for the trails. My hat goes off to you, Doonst - racing 25k on trails is no easy 'feet.' :wink:

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:19 am

Glad that it ended up being "not so bad" afterall! This one is on my radar too...
Congrats on finishung pain free!
-There's much to be happy about there! :)
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:34 am

Great report Sheldon! If I was ever to run a 50 km distance, this would be the one. Your description of the course is gexcellent.

Congratulations on finishing without any further problems!

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:52 am

Doonst wrote: I have to admit the numbers were as disappointing as the experience was fine.

With all your '09 aches and pains, it's good to dwell on the positive experiences. Screw the numbers. Next year the pendulum might swing completely the other way and you set PB after PB. You've had those years before as well. That's the way she goes, eh?

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:54 am

I'm proud of you. And not just cuz I get paid big bucks to be your Official Fan :wink:

Seriously...Sheldon...you've struggled with some injuries this season and the fact that you ran pain free for 25km on trails is just pretty darn awesome :D :D

Well done! :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:23 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:
Seriously...Sheldon...you've struggled with some injuries this season and the fact that you ran pain free for 25km on trails is just pretty darn awesome :D :D

Well done! :D

I was just about to post the same thing. Celebrate the success!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:53 pm

Even with your injuries plaguing you this season, Sheldon, way-da-Go, to be out there in the trails and enjoying the moment ...

Anyone ever tell ya that you race too much ?? :shifty: :wink: Now rest up, will ya ... :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:54 pm

Nice report, doonst! Congrats on a good time and finishing pain-free!! That's all that matters.
Ultrarunner again

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:00 pm

Hey good stuff! :) I saw you on course at that short out-and-back part early on, wasn't 100% sure it was you though so didn't say anything until after the race (which you finished way before me!!! :lol: )

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Garrett
Tom Longboat

Postby Garrett » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:56 pm

Nice to hear you had a good day, sorry you couldn't hit any of your time goals.

Nature Girl
Bruce Kidd

Postby Nature Girl » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:04 pm

It was nic to meet you finally... re: Gatorade - I think the dude was just calling it gatorade when it was, in fact Heed. :roll:
Hi. My name is NG and I want to run Haliburton.

BaldGuy
Jerome Drayton

Postby BaldGuy » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:33 pm

Sounds like a great day for a run, Sheldon -- no matter the outcome. Glad to see you out there and doing your thing, and surviving to run another day. Glad you finished pain-free -- and I'm still a huge Doonst fan, no matter when you finish.
BG

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:36 pm

Hey, you finished and you felt good. When you ran 10 minutes faster, surely you were pushing a lot harder and didn't have the same injury worries. You'll get it back, don't worry. Good job!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:00 pm

Every day on the trails is a good day, right? :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

BaldGuy
Jerome Drayton

Postby BaldGuy » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:05 pm

Oh, and I forgot to say: "Baiting the Vulture? Is THAT what the kids are calling it these days?" :wink:
BG

blank
Bill Crothers

Postby blank » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:39 am

Doonst wrote:But it was such a beautiful day, I finished, and without any significant pain or injury. Everybody was so friendly, the food was great, the pavilion was warm.

That's a happy ending!

Nice run Sheldon, glad you're feeling pain free.

Return to “Run/Race Reports”