Doonst & dgrant's "The Longest Day"

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
dgrant
Lynn Williams

Doonst & dgrant's "The Longest Day"

Postby dgrant » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:29 pm

It's been a super long day, so this report will mostly be in "highlight" form...

Sheldon and I decided to honour the summer solstice by turning the longest day of the year into our longest day of the year. We planned to run the half marathon that's part of the Niagara Ultra race event in the morning, then the Summer Solstice trail run near Orangeville in the evening.

Niagara Half Marathon

I elected to go out aggressively in this one, and by about 8K found myself in third place overall. The second place guy looked much more athletic than me, so I sort of resigned myself to trying to hang on to third spot and get my first ever top-3 result. But these old legs were feeling quite good and I was pacing myself very consistently, and by 16K or so I overtook that guy and assumed second spot.

Because there were virtually no mile markers on the course I frankly had no idea what my pace or projected time was. All I cared about was that a new challenger had emerged and was (at times) less than 20m behind me. I've never, ever been in a position to actually race for a placement that mattered so I focussed really well and outkicked him to the finish.

Chip time was 1:31:40, a PB by 6 minutes and 32 seconds. I ended up in second place overall (out of 155 finishers) and won my age group (of 24 males under 40).

My hardware, or "soft"ware as it were. The age group awards were commemorative plush bunnies. :lol:

Sheldon got one too for his age group placement. 8)

It was obviously neat to finish second in a half marathon. I fully realize that a 1:31 would place me 200th in large races, so I'm not going bonkers over it. However, trying to hold another runner off for a particular spot definitely helped push me to the fastest time I could have possibly run, so that's neat. Easily the best half marathon I've ever done.

Summer Solstice Trail Race

The race was delayed 30 minutes to let a vicious storm cell work its way through. Just as well, 'cause I think Sheldon and I were both running on fumes.

Nothing is photoshopped. He actually wore that.

This was a brutal up and down course, starting with a killer switchback climb. At one point there's a 60-80ft climb up slick wooden stairs. Just sadistic stuff for two tired guys. I hung in pretty well with the eventual 4th and 5th place finishers until roughly 9K, when my legs just could not respond to their last push. I nearly caught one guy in the final 100m, but wound up 7th overall (of 54 finishers). Just missed another age group award (4th out of 15 men under 40).

Two kind of creepy looking guys.

Another little highlight was meeting Chuck Engle at the Niagara event. (For those who may not know, Chuck Engle is the guy who won 35 marathons in 2006/2007. That's not a typo, he won 35 marathons.) I introduced myself to him after his second place marathon finish (he clearly slowed to let the winner take the cake, telling me afterward he just doesn't see the honour in outkicking somebody in the final seconds of a tiny marathon). Pretty neat stuff for me, especially since hours later he remembered my name.

Overall it was a really fun and novel day. I think we both ran pretty decently. As always Sheldon is a great racing buddy. Thanks to Lisa for coming along and being a great supporter and photographer.
:D
Last edited by dgrant on Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sanders
Bill Crothers

Postby Sanders » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:37 pm

Wowie! Robbie-T, look out!
Next Up in 2010:
April - 21K de Montreal
May - Cabot Trail Relay Race, Legs 6&7

dwayne_runs_far
Bill Crothers

Postby dwayne_runs_far » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:48 pm

Amazing way to spend the day! Now, maybe this has been discussed before, but is Sheldon colour blind or was there some recreational pharmaceuticals in his past? :-)

On an additional note, Chuck Engle is also one of the three that ran across the Sahara with Ray Zahab.

Dwayne
I run distance because I want to be in good shape when I die.
--
Friends don't let friends do anything stupid.
Alone.
Blackfoot 2007.

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:48 pm

Long day indeed! And that OUTFIT! Augghhh, my eyes! :shock: :lol: 8)

Good effort fine sirs - congrats on the half marathon success to both of you, and just for surviving the second race (and placing pretty good to boot)!
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:56 am

amazing day for both of you - great stuff! (tragic about the outfit though...)
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:06 am

Outstanding guys, outstanding. 8)

Sheldon looks like a glow stick.
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:06 am

Well done! Dave, a six minute PB is something definitely to crow about!
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:36 am

Marg wrote:
Sheldon looks like a glow stick.

Indeed he does....hey we'd all be disappointed if Doonst started wearing basic black and boring beige :twisted: :twisted: :wink:

Excellent races. Stuffed bunnies...so cute...so are you guys taking them to work on Monday to show off your awards :D :D

Dave...have you lots a bunch of weight..you look mighty trim and FAST :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:39 am

Way to go guys!

You two just seem to have so much fun together!

OH the outfit. Doonst apparently likes to stand out! :lol: :lol: Or is it that he is so fast, that he is acting as the guding light, ensuring no following runners veer off course!

Lisa
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Run26.2
Jerome Drayton

Postby Run26.2 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:15 am

Good work men!! Dave, 2nd overall??? Rock n' roll!!!!!
"...twenty miles of hope, six miles of truth..."
21 marathons since 2001......up next, CND Army half-marathon in Sept. and Toronto Waterfront marathon in Oct.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:38 am

Yeah, as number one Dgrant supporter, let me just say... all you SHALLONGERS for PEC should be shakin' in your boots! Is there now a 3:20 shallonge? That's now a much more reasonable goal IMO. While it was almost painful to get up that early, I'm so glad I came along yesterday. I am so proud of Dave... I am as happy as I'd be if I had run such a great race.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Sandra
Bill Crothers

Postby Sandra » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:51 am

Wow, you guys did great! Congrats on both of you placing. Sounds like you had an awesome day!
Sandra
"Appreciate what you got and chill when things seem overwhelming."

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:52 am

Nicely done boys!! I hope that your feet are up and you are resting today - you earned it!

garth
Bill Crothers

Postby garth » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:47 am

Well done dudes......enjoy your bunnies!
Please consider the jobs of those in the forest industry before deciding not to print stuff

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:52 am

Jeesh, Sheldon dresses funny, that's not news. The news is Dave just ran a 1:31. The news is our little 18 month grudge match is OVER. My dream half time is 1:32, meaning maybe it will happen some day in the distant future, maybe not. After years of hard training. He just went out and did it, third killer PB in as many weeks. I feel sort of like Puff the Magic Dragon, after Little Jackie Paper grows up and stops playing with him along the cherry lane.
David has left the building; the shallonge is dead, long live the shallonge.

Second place, out of 155. Excellent work buddy.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

AlfiefromPickering
Bill Crothers

Postby AlfiefromPickering » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:22 am

Congratulations on your speedy second place.
I saw the half marathon results after I finished the 50 K, but you were gone by then.
I am in love with the President of Argentina .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhf5iInIWEs mamacita preciosa
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIZ39iEw80M. She is 63 is 2016.... meaning 10 years older than I. I guess I'm into mature girls .....

waynerdog
Jerome Drayton

Postby waynerdog » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:26 am

Sounds like you had an amazing day, Dave!

Congrats on the huge PB!!!

Hermes
Bill Crothers

Postby Hermes » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:56 am

Sizzling!!!! Those old legs are getting better and faster. (Wish I could say the same about mine....)

Congrats on your amazing second-place finish!!!! (and then another race. you're just a sucker for good punishmment;))

Sounds like a fantastic time. Thanks Lisa for the pix!!!

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:09 am

Way to go, Dave! 2nd overall!! What an amazing performance! Just amazing!
(The winner, Gary, is the RD of the 12 Mile Creek trail half, really nice guy).

Nice way to celebrate the longest day of the year. Impressive racing!
Ultrarunner again

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:16 am

Dave... what can I say? You're certainly blowing the socks off of everyone this season. You're stealth training (stealth as in not posting it ;) ) is paying off in spades.. Either that or it's the hair ;)

Sheldon was just being safe out there on the night race.. it was close to dusk, he wanted to make sure that he was being seen! 8)
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

braveheart
Lynn Williams

Postby braveheart » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:21 am

amazing stuff Dave and Sheldon! 2nd overall :shock: amazing work Dave.
Sheldon's outfit did not even catch my eye in that photo(until you mentioned it) it was his posture and look on his face.

You boys are crazy but that is why I like you both
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
Don't give up before the miracle.
**formerly campbellskid**

RayMan
Jerome Drayton

Postby RayMan » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:29 am

Great results Dave! It took long enough for you younger runners to start beating the times of the older ones - I knew you had it in you!

Knock one minute off your half-marathon and you qualify for New York Marathon (I think - not sure how young you are).

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:06 pm

Great job guys!! Now that colour combination really hurts my eyes :shock:

runningman
Bruce Kidd

Postby runningman » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:36 pm

Great job today. I can tell you are very focussed on your improvement. I am thinking a BQ at PEC. That goal should definitely be in cross hairs. Your time yesterday equates to a 3:13:20 from McMillans race predictor, and you are getting faster. Stay focussed for the summer, hit the hills, make the training hurt with the end goal in mind, and you are going to BQ in the fall.
"The body is a serveant of the mind"

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:09 pm

RayMan wrote:Great results Dave! It took long enough for you younger runners to start beating the times of the older ones - I knew you had it in you!

Knock one minute off your half-marathon and you qualify for New York Marathon (I think - not sure how young you are).

Nope, he would need a 1:23 for another 8 years; he's 19 years younger than me which makes him 32. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Return to “Run/Race Reports”