First 10k Marathon

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

emsa
Percy Williams

First 10k Marathon

Postby emsa » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:44 pm

Hi All,

I am currently registered for a 10k second week of May. I have successfully completed 5k runs with ease..but figure it is time to raise the stakes and take on a 10k for the first time ever.

Now.. as an avid individual who absolutely HATES cold whether, training has been placed on hold due to "old man winter." The question I propose is this... does anyone have an suggestions for possible indoor training programs given the amount of time I have until the big race (May 11)? Am I being completely ridiculous and wildly ambitious in training for a 10k in such a short period of time? Also, what nutrition programs (if any) did you follow during the weeks leading up to race day?

- Optimistic Runner
"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow"
- Henry David Thoreau

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: First 10k Marathon

Postby Jwolf » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:00 pm

The best indoor training is indoor running-- either the treadmill or an indoor track. You can also do other indoor cross-training activities, but they won't prepare you for running the 10K as well as actual running will. So simply follow a plan where you gradually increase your distances to 10K-- you don't have to increase ALL your weekly runs, but at least one longer run per week should get to about 10K or more. Here's a good sample plan (it's in miles, or by time for some runs): http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122 ... ng-Program

Also, when sidewalks are clear go ahead and bundle up and run outside. :) Before long it won't be too bad out there.

You don't really need any special nutrition plans for these distances-- just make sure you are eating and hydrating well.

Good luck and welcome.

p.s. just so you know- a marathon is a specific distance of 26.2 miles, or 42.2K, so a 10K run is simply a 10K run or race -- not a marathon.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:20 pm

If you're doing 5km already then two months is lots of time to get to 10k. :) just keep gradually increasing as Jen said!

and welcome to RM!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:40 am

Welcome to RM. I agree with some of the other suggestions. You can run outdoors right now, just dress in (non-cotton) layers. You'll be plenty toasty after about 10 minutes of running. As for running 10k in two months (and I know that one's first 10k can feel like a marathon :wink: ), it will be fine. Even if you have to walk part of the race, you will be able to finish the distance!

Now, get out there an go for a little jog!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

emsa
Percy Williams

Postby emsa » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:44 am

To all who have replied --- thank you for clarifying the difference between a 10k and a marathon ( how silly of me to use the two terms interchangeably, but now I have gained some useful knowledge!)

Jwolf, thank you for the link. This sample plan makes training seem a lot less frightening for someone who hasn't had any previous training experience before.

Thanks all for the extra push to get me going... think i'll start bundling up and get my run on :)
"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow"
- Henry David Thoreau

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:11 am

emsa wrote:
Thanks all for the extra push to get me going... think i'll start bundling up and get my run on :)

Here's my #1 tip for running when it's cold- put on on extra layer, do a 10 or 15 minute loop from your house or car to warm up, pull off that layer, and then carry on. Once the blood gets pumping I always feel fine, but I know that the amount of cloting I'll want in the middle of my run is not enough to keep me warm for the first little while.
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:06 pm

Well, emsa, have you gone out for a run yet??
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Return to “Training ”