Running in Punta Cana

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

DLS
Bruce Kidd

Running in Punta Cana

Postby DLS » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:06 am

Given that Ian and I are each unable to keep a thought in our heads right now, our families are sending us to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic for a week starting tomorrow, at the Blau Natura Eco-Resort. Any suggestions about running there?

Thanks,

Deanna
Deanna

Running in memory of Porter.
"Make voyages. Attempt them. There's nothing else."

Chilly Half Mar 4th - 2:03:33
Around The Bay Mar 25 - 3:10:19 - PB (de facto, but still!)
NF Womens Half June 4 - 1:59:00 - PB!
Portland Half Oct 7 - 1:59:15
Gorilla Run - 17k - DONE
ING NYC Marathon Nov 4 -- DNS, care of Hurricane Sandy
Philly Marathon Nov 18 -- 5:03:40 -- but completed!

Miami Half 2:24
Chilly Half 2:24

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Re: Running in Punta Cana

Postby purdy65 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:17 am

Deanna,

I can't answer your questions, but it's such a nice gesture on the part of your family to help you get away! No doubt the dreary January weather does not help things at all!

Having said that - should you find some nice routes, let me know, because I'll be in Punta Cana in April! (Bahai Principe)

Enjoy your trip.

Lisa
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:24 am

Deanna,

No advice on the running as I've never been to Punta Cana.
Just wanted to say that it's great to see a post from you and I think it's wonderful that your familes are giving you this gift.
I hope that the week away is a time of healing and strengthening.
Take care.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:25 am

I don't have advice either. We just ran loops on the resort. It was about 1-1.5km loop if we went from the beach to the lobby.

I hope you have a good get away.
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

greatstrides
Johnny Miles

Postby greatstrides » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:22 am

Deanna,
I've been thinking about you and I also hope the time is healing and strengthening.
Carrie

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:55 pm

I can help ….

I have run in Punta Cana a few times! There are two choices, the Beach or the resort, don’t even think about the road. If your running on the Beach stick to the area where the surf meets the dry sand and run in the morning before Sun rise or just too hot! Be careful not to run in the surf as the fine sand will pack into your shoes like concrete. Resort runs are an option if you want to go later in the day. Most resorts I have been too are pretty shaded and they all have fantastic aide stations. I like to end my runs with a shot of Rum, a Beer then a glass of Water!

Here is a link to my Punta Cana Running Blogs….
http://westgreyrunner.blogspot.com/2008/10/it-was-another-incredibly-hot-day-for.html
http://westgreyrunner.blogspot.com/2008/10/30k-last-three-days.html
http://westgreyrunner.blogspot.com/2008/10/74-k-on-beach-today.html
http://westgreyrunner.blogspot.com/2007/11/70k-on-beach-last-week.html

Have fun!

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:18 pm

So happy to see a post from you. What a wonderful family you have to do this. Don't be afraid to enjoy yourself.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:50 pm

Like the above people I too am happy to hear from you...and even more pleased that you and Ian are able to get away..hopefully the sun will warm your souls.

As for running... no advice about DR...never been. But I do know when I ran in Mexico a few years ago I had to get my runs in very early...by 9:30 a.m. it was getting very hot. I used to head out at 7:00 a.m. I have a client who has spent a lot of time in DR this past year dealing with an estate and he couldn't believe how hot it was.

As Susan said, don't be afraid to enjoy yourselves.
Last edited by Jo-Jo on Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:17 pm

The resort I stayed at (Excellence) was not in that big strip of resorts and not near the town, so I can't help too much. I ran on the beach and on this lovely path through a botanical garden. The one thing I'd warn about is to bring bug spray- I got eaten alive by sand fleas while running on the beach. Have fun!! I looooved Punta Cana. I preferred Mama Juana at my aid stations (it's a drink, really!).
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:34 pm

I have been thinking of you a lot and am glad to hear from you. A break sounds like a good idea and I am glad you have supportive family that is helping you.
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:27 pm

greatstrides wrote:Deanna,
I've been thinking about you and I also hope the time is healing and strengthening.
Carrie

this exactly.
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

getfit
Jerome Drayton

Postby getfit » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:51 pm

I've been thinking of you too and praying that each day you'll be given the strength you need. I think a change of scenery is a very good idea. I hope you will enjoy your runs down there.
"I'm not sufficiently organized or ambitious to do all the things you're supposed to do if you're serious. The more time you spend fiddlediddling with this and that, the less time there is to run." ED WHITLOCK

Geisha Girl
Johnny Miles

Postby Geisha Girl » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:23 pm

Also very glad to see a post from you. As with everyone your family has been on my mind.

I just got back from Punta Cana last week. It gets hot early there so if you run before 9am you should be ok or after 7pm - other then that it is too brutally hot. Your resort was given rave reviews from those at the airport we met so it is sure to be a good place. I didn't run on the beach but found the paths around the resort were enough for me - but I am a newbie and wasn't looking for anything longer than a 2km run.
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second. Give your dreams all you've got and you'll be amazed at the energy that comes out of you." --William James

JSmitty
Bill Crothers

Postby JSmitty » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:07 pm

As others have said, allow yourself some healing through the sunshine. Punta Cana is very hot, so go early and bring water for sure. If you go early, you may be able to run throughout the resort. We stayed there after our airline was unable to fly, but it was night and we had to leave quite early in the morning for the airport.

[quote=" The one thing I'd warn about is to bring bug spray- I got eaten alive by sand fleas while running on the beach. I preferred Mama Juana at my aid stations (it's a drink, really!).[/quote]

This resort is heavy with vegetation so bug spray is a must as well as the Mama Juana drink. In fact, I am "stewing a concoction" in my cupboard.
Hugs to you and Ian.
Cheers,
Jill

Ongoing plan :To start running, continue with eating habits, positive outlook.
OTTAWA HALF 2014

DLS
Bruce Kidd

Postby DLS » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:06 pm

Hi everyone,

We spent the week in Punta Cana, and while Ian ran out the front of the resort, and through the little shanty town that was there, I wouldn't do it as a woman alone. I ran on the beach (out and back, about 5k), and it was good as long as it was early enough to avoid having too many people there. I didn't have any issues with sand fleas or insects of any kind -- surprising given that the resort has a lot of slow moving water in it -- perhaps they spray insecticide...?

Other than that, the kids (our 10 year old and our 4 year old) enjoyed being away from all the sadness, and they spent their days swimming, building sand castles, and playing in the water. The weather was great.

Thanks for all your kind thoughts.

Deanna
Deanna

Running in memory of Porter.
"Make voyages. Attempt them. There's nothing else."

Chilly Half Mar 4th - 2:03:33
Around The Bay Mar 25 - 3:10:19 - PB (de facto, but still!)
NF Womens Half June 4 - 1:59:00 - PB!
Portland Half Oct 7 - 1:59:15
Gorilla Run - 17k - DONE
ING NYC Marathon Nov 4 -- DNS, care of Hurricane Sandy
Philly Marathon Nov 18 -- 5:03:40 -- but completed!

Miami Half 2:24
Chilly Half 2:24

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:12 pm

i thought of you all a lot this week. i am glad you had some much needed family time in a great setting.

wishing you all well as you learn to carry this loss with you through life.
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

a-slow-5
Jerome Drayton

Postby a-slow-5 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:04 pm

I'm happy to read that you and your family were able to get away for a while. Everyone (kids and adults alike) need time away to help heal and strengthen. You are lucky to have such a great support network to help you through these times. Glad you had a good vacation. (I too just returned from DR. It was my first time there and we found it to be a very relaxing trip. I hope you did too.)
Treat a child as though she already is the person she's capable of becoming. - Haim Ginott
Keep going. Never give up. - Spencer Dolling
Run like hell, feel like hell, look like hell! - Nick
It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have. - Cheryl Crow

frangio

Postby frangio » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:41 pm

Hello, I just wanted to thank you for all the information shared here because I booked a stay in Punta cana and being a sportsman I was wondering if it was possible to run in a different way in Punta cana. So thank you !

Return to “General Running Discussion”