Comparing winter race results to summer race

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

grimskot
Bill Crothers

Comparing winter race results to summer race

Postby grimskot » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:19 pm

Ran my first ever Winnipeg Hypothermic Half on Sunday, and did a wee bit better than I expected. Now I'm wondering how to compare the results to half marathons I ran in summer & fall 2010. I'd like to assess whether I've gained, maintained or (heaven forbid!) lost fitness over the winter.

My HH time was about 10 minutes slower than my Intrepid Dezine half marathon time, or about 28 seconds/km slower. Likewise my HH time was about 3 minutes slower than my Try A Trail #5 22km time, or about 25 seconds/km slower. (Assuming I have my math right, of course. :) ) Given that winter running is generally slower than summer running due to cold & wind & snowy surfaces, that's to be expected. But can anyone help me quantify how much slower would be reasonable?

I'm prepared to accept that there is no way to make a fair comparison other than a purely subjective one. I felt like I ran a good race, with a hard effort and a strong finishing kick. I felt much the same way after finishing the Resolution Run on January 1st, so I seem to be building some good successes in 2011. Still & all, I'd like some indication how I'm doing this winter.

Plan for 2016:
Jun 25: St. Malo Triathlon - Sprint - done
Jul 16: Morden Triathlon - Sprint - done

Joggernot
Percy Williams

Re: Comparing winter race results to summer race

Postby Joggernot » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:43 pm

Hello grimskot,
I also ran the Wpg HH on the weekend and ran the Try a Trail 22k last fall. My HH was also 3 minutes slower than Try a Trail but I lost 3 to 4 minutes to a train crossing. It is really hard to compare a winter half, to a fall trail 22K, to a spring 1/2 marathon run on pavement. I have run the Hypo Halfs about 7 times in the past and aside from 1 year when it was very warm and the course was run almost entirely on roads, my times were slower than even my full marathon split time in May or June. If you felt good during your run on the weekend I think that is a good gauge of where you are at fitness wise. My guess is that you would gain 3 to 5 minutes if the race on Sunday was in warmer weather with good footing on pavement. To me it sounds like you are on the right track and if you run a 1/2 marathon in the spring (WPS, Fargo or Intrepid Dezine) you should be good to go. A 10K race like Camp Quality on April 2 or the Puma 10K on April 10 would be a good indicator of your potential 1/2 marathon time.

best of luck

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:37 am

Just too many variables to be able to know for sure.

The only constant is you, how did you feel, if the race itself felt pretty comfortable then you should be able to go faster, whether you can go more than 10 minutes faster when spring/summer arrives (bringing a whole new bunch of variable) is something that you will get a better handle of when you train in the spring/summer.

Sorry I cannot be more precise.

Good luck!
PBs
5th Sep 2015 - Run Ottawa free 5km - 21:05
21st Jun 2015 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 10km - 45:45
16th Jun 2013 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 15km - 1:11:44
16th Apr 2016 - MEC 10 miler - 1:20:21
12th Apr 2015 - EY R4R Half Marathon - 1:41:15
26th May 2013 - Ottawa Marathon - 3:43:51

2017 races - coming up
7th May - Defi Entreprise 10km
28th May - Ottawa Half Marathon
17th Sep - Army Run Half Marathon

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:37 am

I think the only thing you can say for sure is that you expect to be somewhat slower given the same fitness. I was over 4 minutes slower when I ran the HH here in Saskatoon compared to my PB last August. It was perfect conditions in August but it was also pretty darn good for the HH - a little below freezing, mostly hardpacked snow or pavement. I think if it had been current conditions of -25 where I'd have to deal with more clothes, breathing through a mask, etc, I would have been much slower.

grimskot
Bill Crothers

Postby grimskot » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:10 pm

I figured this would be the case. If nothing else, I've got a baseline for next year's Hypothermic Half. :)

Joggernot, you mentioned getting caught by the train crossing. I saw that train, but it had finished crossing b4 I got there. No planning on my part -- just the luck of the plodder. :)
Plan for 2016:
Jun 25: St. Malo Triathlon - Sprint - done
Jul 16: Morden Triathlon - Sprint - done

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:01 pm

I find it hard to compare winter times to summer times. I just look at winter times as "I can do at least this well in the summer when I'm wearing less clothing and on good footing".

I also find the HH to be a good judge of your current fitness level when compared to previous years. The obvious caveats there are you need to do some mental calculus to add or subtract depending upon amount of snow, temperature, and trains.

BTW, how come you guys didn't introduce yourselves before the race? I had extra beer! :lol:
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

Return to “General Running Discussion”