Calgary Marathon 2012 - new course

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Lazagna
Bill Crothers

Calgary Marathon 2012 - new course

Postby Lazagna » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:18 pm

I have already set my goal for next year in the half.

They just announced yesterday that they are changing the course.. to be announced in January.. should be interesting to run something different than the past three years.
Mike . . . Do what you need to do NOW, so you don't deny yourself a future opportunity.
Upcoming Races:

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Re: Calgary Marathon 2012 - new course

Postby Hammie » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:28 pm

Lazagna wrote:I have already set my goal for next year in the half.

They just announced yesterday that they are changing the course.. to be announced in January.. should be interesting to run something different than the past three years.

I noticed that - I wonder why? Were people already tired of the last new course, or were there problems with it? I know they had to change the full course last year after the U of C decided not to allow any non-university events to take place there.
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:40 pm

I don't think the big hill was popular in this era of "fast and flat" races. Furthermore, after the initial spike in registrations for the 2009 debut, Calgary's numbers have regressed back into mediocrity. (IMO, part of this is that Calgary has always been inferior to races like Red Deer and Saskatoon from an organizational standpoint.) The temporary solution: change the course. I'll pass.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:46 pm

ian wrote:I don't think the big hill was popular in this era of "fast and flat" races. Furthermore, after the initial spike in registrations for the 2009 debut, Calgary's numbers have regressed back into mediocrity. (IMO, part of this is that Calgary has always been inferior to races like Red Deer and Saskatoon from an organizational standpoint.) The temporary solution: change the course. I'll pass.

This.

Plus I don't think the start/finish location was particularly popular either with racers (zero parking) or residents.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Lazagna
Bill Crothers

Postby Lazagna » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:01 pm

ian wrote:I don't think the big hill was popular in this era of "fast and flat" races. Furthermore, after the initial spike in registrations for the 2009 debut, Calgary's numbers have regressed back into mediocrity. (IMO, part of this is that Calgary has always been inferior to races like Red Deer and Saskatoon from an organizational standpoint.) The temporary solution: change the course. I'll pass.

I didn't realize it was bad in Calgary. I have never had a problem with package pickup, always start mid to back of the pack, so haven't noticed.

perhaps I'll have to do Red Deer just to see the difference and see what good stuff I'm missing..lol
Mike . . . Do what you need to do NOW, so you don't deny yourself a future opportunity.
Upcoming Races:

VDoT
Bruce Kidd

Postby VDoT » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:21 pm

Package pickup was totally messed up last year, but that was the only time it was that bad. I would guess it has more to do with the big hill and the start finish location. I heard lots of complaints about both those.
I am considering the Calgary full for 2012 so I will watch for the news release with great interest!
Dan

Coming up in 2015:

MichaelMc
Bill Crothers

Postby MichaelMc » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:31 pm

I'll be interested in the new course. I've never run the Calgary Marathon, and the most recent course wasn't too much of a draw. Not only the hills, which seemed unneccessary, but I heard many complaints about the steeply cambered road edges as well.

As my new home marathon I'm interested, but we'll see if I can get sufficient training in to be anything but self abuse. Might try pacing a group if I can get some miles in.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:12 am

This just occurred to me - when Strides took over the race a few years back they were the ones that moved it to Bridgeland, but Strides dropped out late last year and RR took it back - I'll wager that has something to do with it.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

rungirlrun
Bruce Kidd

Postby rungirlrun » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:40 pm

In the Jan/Feb Impact magazine, they detail the new route, no map or link available yet.

SW from Stampede Park towards Glenmore Athletic Park, around MRU to its western limit at 45st. Then SW on 26th Ave across the Bow at 14th st, down Memorial, thru Bridgland, the Zoo and Inglewood finishing at Stampede.
RGR aka El Torro
8 Halfs & counting...
1 Full & that was enough.
Happiness is a decision. - Michael J. Fox

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:09 pm

rungirlrun wrote:In the Jan/Feb Impact magazine, they detail the new route, no map or link available yet.

SW from Stampede Park towards Glenmore Athletic Park, around MRU to its western limit at 45st. Then SW on 26th Ave across the Bow at 14th st, down Memorial, thru Bridgland, the Zoo and Inglewood finishing at Stampede.

I saw that - interesting.

Two thoughts:

1. The western limit of MRU is Sarcee Road, not 45 Street. Which only matters because there's a pretty good uphill from MRU to 45 Street along 46 Avenue.

2. There's a big downhill between the top of Knob Hill (26 Ave at 20 Street) and where 14 Street crosses 17 Ave - I used to bike up and down it every day. So there's going to be a corresponding climb somewhere, but I can't picture where. Maybe up Elbow Drive, or maybe up 14 Street towards the dog park?

The "reveal" is Wednesday. I think I can wait that long.

MichaelMc
Bill Crothers

Postby MichaelMc » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:46 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
rungirlrun wrote:In the Jan/Feb Impact magazine, they detail the new route, no map or link available yet.

I saw that - interesting.

Two thoughts:

1. The western limit of MRU is Sarcee Road, not 45 Street. Which only matters because there's a pretty good uphill from MRU to 45 Street along 46 Avenue.

2. There's a big downhill between the top of Knob Hill (26 Ave at 20 Street) and where 14 Street crosses 17 Ave - I used to bike up and down it every day. So there's going to be a corresponding climb somewhere, but I can't picture where. Maybe up Elbow Drive, or maybe up 14 Street towards the dog park?

The "reveal" is Wednesday. I think I can wait that long.

Funny! I move to Calgary and they move the course so it goes right by my house... I think. We'll soon see.

Not going to race it this year, but I might consider pacing it.

Michael

Lazagna
Bill Crothers

Postby Lazagna » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:39 pm

I am more interested in the half and where it's going since I am already signed up. I am going to go to the reveal tonight just so I can enter the contest.
Upcoming Races:

MichaelMc
Bill Crothers

Postby MichaelMc » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:38 pm

New course: http://www.calgarymarathon.com/race_inf ... athon.html

The Full is much more flat than it was, the Half is REALLY flat.

The Full passes within two blocks of my house TWICE. That would be good for watching, might be bad if I was racing and having a bad day!

Lazagna
Bill Crothers

Postby Lazagna » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:46 am

I noticed that the Half is almost exactly the same as last year, only run backwards, and a few side trips that take it off course a little. I think I will like the change as it will be familiar but different.
Upcoming Races:

Lazagna
Bill Crothers

Postby Lazagna » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:49 am

Lazagna wrote:I noticed that the Half is almost exactly the same as last year, only run backwards, and a few side trips that take it off course a little. I think I will like the change as it will be familiar but different.

Oh, and NO GEL STATIONS on the Half at all.....I usually relied on their course for that, guess I will have to figure out how to carry my own this time.
Upcoming Races:

Return to “General Running Discussion”