hello from new guy, new runner

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Paul77

hello from new guy, new runner

Postby Paul77 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:36 am

Hello,
I'm new to the site and found you through google search. I hope this is the correct spot for my first post (I didn't see a section for newbies or beginners).

I'm new to running, just over 2 months in, and am looking for some advice and tips from experienced runners. I've watch quite a few videos and read many blogs/articles, but would still appreciate some feedback from folks who run for the love of it.

I got into running because, well, for no specific reason. As a 37 yo I've never ran before nor been a fan of going to the gym or even working out at home. The only exercise I get is by playing ice hockey once a week year round. Anyway, so one morning I awoke, slapped on my dusty ol' sneakers and headed out for a leisurely run, nothing crazy. I honestly don’t remember why or where I got the idea to run, but it didn’t matter, I just ran. I'm lucky enough to live near a lake which allows me to escape the hustle and bustle of the city. I ended up running 2km and was fairly winded and tired at the end, but, I was surprisingly Happy at the same time. As you can imaging I was quite sore the next day so I rested and decided to give it another go the day after. Again I found it very enjoyable. Since then I’ve been running 3-4 times a week and have worked my way up to 5km in about a month and a half. I'm not a running fanatic by any means, but for some reason it felt quite rewarding to hit 5km. I've been doing 5km for the last couple of weeks and recently did it in 25 minutes. I'm certainly feeling the positive results including; sleeping better, better mood, more energy, but am also going through some pains (hip and knee). Seems as though I can't make it past the 5km mark before giving in to pain. So, I continued researching about proper form, technique, and decide to apply these and also increase my cadence slightly. Well, that didn’t turn out so well. I still managed to complete 5km but it felt more difficult, had to take more walking breaks, and the day after I was barely able to walk or get up due to the hip pain. Changing my form (standing “taller”) and increasing cadence felt very un-natural, almost forceful. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong...

So now I’m starting to think; ditch the old sneakers and upgrade (even though I'm not a believer in high tech shoes or any fancy gear), slow down, or maybe I'm just not built for running distance. I just don’t want to overthink anything since I feel it will take the joy out of running. Perhaps pain is part of the process and I just need pace myself better?

I haven't really planned to train for any events, I'm just loving getting out there while the sun is rising, it's almost meditative at times (what will I do in the winter...ekk). Can’t wait until my hip feels better so I can continue (I’m turning into a fanatic aren’t I).

:)
Sorry for the long post (I actually cut it down)

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Re: hello from new guy, new runner

Postby purdy65 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:09 pm

The best investment you will make will be in a pair of properly fitted running shoes. They don't have to be the most expensive - just properly fitted.

Head out to your local running shop!

Welcome!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:18 pm

Welcome!
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:21 pm

agree with the advice about good shoes - worn out ones will catch up with you eventually. otherwise though - just keep doing what you're doing if it feels good!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:24 pm

Welcome to RM!

I'm going to echo the get some good shoe advice! This really is important.
Good for you working up to 5K already. You're doing great.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:31 pm

Aside from proper shoes (which are important), stick with the 5Ks you're doing now and don't be in a rush to increase your distance/time too quickly - and especially not until you get the source of your aches/pains figured out. Going longer will only make that worse.

Welcome and happy running!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Paul77

Postby Paul77 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:46 pm

thanks all for the replies.

I should mention that I did go to a local jogx shop. They put me on the treadmill, took video, and analyzed by technique frame by frame. I was a little intimidated to be honest. They recommended the Saucony A6 http://www.saucony.com/en/type-a6/12360M.html. I tried them on and they felt comfortable but a little tight around the top of the foot even though the size was correct. I'm worried that I wouldn't like them running out on the road compared to walking in the store. I don't really have the budget to take the risk of them not working out for me.

This might sound like a silly question but what guidelines should I follow to hopefully end up with a good shoe without having the chance to run in them? just comfort and size?

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:03 pm

Paul77 wrote:I'm worried that I wouldn't like them running out on the road compared to walking in the store. I don't really have the budget to take the risk of them not working out for me.

Most reputable running stores would be happy to let you exchange a pair of shoes after a 5K test run. At this stage of your running career, you'll mostly be after comfort and fit (although it might feel unusual to wear light shoes and to have an extra half inch of toe room).

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:29 pm

welcome here!

yes talk to the store about being able to return them after a road run. Just keep them clean and if you've only run once or twice in them they will usually be happy to exchange for something else (and if the first pair doesn't work for you it might help them narrow down what will).

some pain is normal when starting a new sport and/or increasing your distances. It should improve as your body adapts. However, if you find that pain is increasing, or severe, and it feels like more than just sore muscles, you may want to get it checked out and/or reduce your running a bit until it feels good again. I find that even if I'm sore at the beginning of a run it gets better as I get more warmed up (after 20-25 minutes, usually). If it's getting worse instead, there may be a problem.

Also the older we get, the longer it takes our bodies to adapt to new physical activities, so don't be in a hurry to increase speed or distance. :)

Otherwise, have fun!!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Return to “General Running Discussion”