Statins

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Statins

Postby Dstew » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:48 pm

Short version: heart muscle damage due to rheumatic fever as a teenager. Heart mummer but nothing had shown up on EKG until now. Stress and pressure of work has lead to less activity and more "bad" eating. Triglycerides are not good as a result. And blood pressure has been around 135. On its own, none of these three things would be a huge concern but together add up to an 18% chance for a heart attack in the next ten years. So prescribed Statins and started those yesterday. Doctor and the net all warn of potential muscle soreness so anyone else on these things, any hints or tips?

Even before this, I could do a hard 60 + minutes on the elliptical or spinner bike or 30 minutes of weights with no lasting ill effects. Do a 10 K run too hard and I am suffering for days. I suspect my last marathon is now in the rear view mirror and that any future races will be as well. All races may fall into that category again because of the potential limitations to any training I can do.

FishHog
Bruce Kidd

Re: Statins

Postby FishHog » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:24 am

I have a family history of heart disease on both sides. Everyone I'm related to has high Cholesterol numbers. anyone over 40 is on a statin. I started at 35, after my father died of a massive heart attack at 67. I don't have any side effects that I can pinpoint on them. I've wondered the odd time if something was being caused by the statin, but nothing ever lasted, so I think I was just looking for excuses.

I'm in the work stress has lead to poor eating and lack of exercise situation this year also. I know better, but can't seem to cope with it. Talked myself into quitting so many times this year, but for financial reasons, I can't do it. I'm slowly fixing some of those stressors and have to get back into a regular routine. I'm still running, but not as much, and I find I get muscle soreness when I push it a bit. But I'm sure that is over doing it for my fitness level and nothing else. Just have to increase slowly. I know that too, but still overdue it. And I'm sure the extra weight I'm carrying isn't helping either.

Good luck to you, but unless you really can determine side effects from the statin, I don't think you will have any issues. I don't give mine a second thought. Just a necessity due to bad genetics. Read about anything on the internet, and you will find nothing but horror stories. Just try it for yourself with an open mind and don't overthink it.

If you do have issues (and I'm sure some people do), there are other options that you should discuss with your doctor.
In order to catch a fish, you have to drink like a fish.

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:57 pm

My doctor and pharmacist both warned me about the side effects. Never give it a second thought but then went on the net and read the horror stories, I was concerned. After asking the question here, found out the bad muscle pain is usually associated with alcohol consumption and I am not the lowest does possible so ...

But choice between drug that could save my life and hard training to do well in a race ... that will be a very easy choice.

FishHog
Bruce Kidd

Postby FishHog » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:50 pm

As we well know everyone is different but there are a lot more people taking statins with out side effects than the other way around. I did my Ironman while taking them so I think you have a good chance of still training if you want
In order to catch a fish, you have to drink like a fish.

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:21 pm

I've been taking statins for 10 years. As with others posting here, I have genetic high cholesterol, and I have to take the maximum dose of Crestor to control it. I once worried about side affects and resisted taking the medication as long as possible but, in the end, I submitted to medical advice. I've never had any symptoms or problems. My doctor monitors my liver enzymes, and they are fine (liver problems being the most common adverse reaction). I've never had any muscle soreness attributable to the statins, and my bad cholesterol is well under control. I am able to keep a healthy level of "good" cholesterol and triglycerides by watching my diet and exercising, so I am lucky as far as those go.

Good luck, and welcome to the club!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:11 am

Thanks for the responses. One week and with moderate daily exercise, no ill affects thus far so the responses have been very reassuring. I suppose it is to be expected that when a drug is prescribed to tens of millions of people, there are going to seem like a fair number have bad side effects and will be very vocal. But the percentages who are actually effected are very low.

Return to “General Running Discussion”