Would you do a Canada Challenge

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Would you do a Canada Challenge

Postby Dstew » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:01 am

Was on a cruise and got a deep Swedish Massage from an actual Swede. We talked about my running and cycling and I believed him when he said it was a privilege to work on an "elite athlete". Having said that, most of the ship was middle aged to older Americans and so that comment was relative.

In any event, he told him about something called a Sweden Challenge. You pay a lot of money and it gets sold out but there was something like 4 endurance events. Cross country skiing, a marathon, swimming and he believed cycling. They have gone crazy for this and it will sell out quickly.

So question is: would you be interested in a Canada Challenge and if so, how many and what events?

tayken
Tom Longboat

Re: Would you do a Canada Challenge

Postby tayken » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:37 am

Sounds like the guy was buttering you up :lol:

I don't think that challenge is unique. I mean it sounds like a Tri with say throw in snowshoeing in it to make 4 events.
On the books for 2017

Winterman 10km - (1st in age group) - Feb 19,
Chilly Half Marathon - Mar 5 (Done)
Around the bay 30k - Mar 26, (Done)
Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,
Ottawa race weekend Voyager Challenge - May 27-28,
Spring Fling Toronto - June?
World Record Kilt Run Perth - June 24
Foam Fest 5k Ottawa - Jul 22
Pure Protein Night Race - Aug 12
Army Run Vimy Challenge - Sep 17
Marathon Du P'tit Train Du Nord Quebec - Oct 22

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Re: Would you do a Canada Challenge

Postby MikeM » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:38 am

A local tri list called TriRudy has a challenge/award similar to that. Someday when my kids are older and I have more time to train I could see myself trying it:

http://www.zone3sports.com/resourse%20l ... 0Award.htm

For a few years before and afterwards, Rudy completed 5 events that exemplify and promote a healthy lifestyle as well as a good level of versatility in the world of endurance sports.
Those events are:
1. The Winterlude Triathlon, an event combining 8k of speedskating, 5k of cross country skiing, and 5k of running.
2. The Keskinada Loppet, a 50k ski race, classic or skate style.
3. The Rideau Lakes Tour, Classic Route. The RLCT combines two days of 180k worth of cycling from Ottawa to Kingston, then back the next day. The Rudy Lakes version is an acceptable substitution and ends in Sharbot Lake at Rudy’s cottage instead of Kingston. It's the same distance and uses much of the same route and must be done on the same weekend as the Rideau Lakes Cycle Tour.
4. Any official marathon with an official finish.
5. Any Ironman distance triathlon with an official finish time under 17hrs.
To be eligible, all the events must be completed in the same calendar year.

Return to “General Running Discussion”