Feeling blah when running - is there a better way?

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Shamus3737
Percy Williams

Feeling blah when running - is there a better way?

Postby Shamus3737 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:28 pm

I'm hoping to get some insight on why I generally feel blah when running. It starts within a minute or so at the beginning of my run, and doesn't start to fade until I'm somewhere between 3-4 kms into my 5km run. My legs (especially my calves) feel somewhere between slightly sore and slightly tired, and I generally feel like I'm low on energy. By the before mentioned 3-4km mark, my leg discomfort is largely gone, and I'm finally starting to feel that "runner's high". By the 5km mark though, my system is starting to feel spent, and that's usually where I end things. Contrast this with cross country skiing, where I can do 10-15km at a brisk pace, and while I feel like I'm working myself, I don't feel like crap. I should mention that after my runs though, I feel like a million bucks.

I'm an on again, off again runner, and never seem to stick with things for more than a few months at a time. This latest set of runs started a few weeks ago when the sidewalks had melted enough to allow relatively safe passage, and I am doing about 2 runs a week, 5km a run. That was preceded by a couple of months of cross country skiing, a couple times a week, ranging 5-15km, depending on available time.

Before my runs I do a series of stretches. In the past I would also do a brisk walk before hand to try and warm up the muscles, but that didn't seem to help. I also make sure I hydrate throughout the day, and consume healthy proteins. My legs feel fine the next day, and I make sure not to run on back to back days (figure I should give myself more time before doing that). A few years ago I greatly improved my running technique including proper breathing, and that helped shave nearly 20% off my running times, and ended my problems with shin splints and lower back pain.

I'm not sure if there are things I am missing that could help improve the quality of my runs, if this is common for everyone, and just a hump that newer runners have to get over, or if this is running life for everyone. What I do know is that while I couldn't wait to get out and go skiing, I practically have to drag myself kicking and screaming out the door to go for runs.

ian
Jerome Drayton

Re: Feeling blah when running - is there a better way?

Postby ian » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:48 pm

Some of it might just be a gradual adaptation over the months ahead. Other things to consider:
(1) Shoes — when shoes lose their cushioning (or if you're using a less-cushioned model), it can increase the impacts on your legs.
(2) Surfaces — cement sidewalks are a very unforgiving surface. If you have access to paved bike trails or gravel roads, that might feel better. Once the weather improves, grassy trails are better still.
(3) Cadence — certain leg issues correlate with heavy heel-striking. Spend the first part of each run thinking about keeping your steps short and quick so that you're more likely to have a smoother landing. If you don't "push off" too much, this doesn't have to increase your speed (and the exertion level).
(4) Walking — if you're only running twice per week (but skiing season is over) consider doing some walking on some of the other days to get some time on your feet in a way that will stretch out your legs without adding much impact.

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:37 pm

It might be that you just don't like running.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:38 pm

Mark.AU wrote:It might be that you just don't like running.

Good point.

Do what you enjoy that helps keep you fit and active.

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:42 pm

Usually, when I notice that I have to force myself out the door for a run, it means something's up with my body. It's natural not to want to do something that hurts and/or makes you feel exhausted, day after day.

Maybe try run/walking for a while, and forget about time/pace/distance. Take the pressure off of your running, and see if some of the pleasure returns.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Shamus3737
Percy Williams

Postby Shamus3737 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:12 pm

ian wrote:Some of it might just be a gradual adaptation over the months ahead. Other things to consider:
(1) Shoes — when shoes lose their cushioning (or if you're using a less-cushioned model), it can increase the impacts on your legs.
(2) Surfaces — cement sidewalks are a very unforgiving surface. If you have access to paved bike trails or gravel roads, that might feel better. Once the weather improves, grassy trails are better still.
(3) Cadence — certain leg issues correlate with heavy heel-striking. Spend the first part of each run thinking about keeping your steps short and quick so that you're more likely to have a smoother landing. If you don't "push off" too much, this doesn't have to increase your speed (and the exertion level).
(4) Walking — if you're only running twice per week (but skiing season is over) consider doing some walking on some of the other days to get some time on your feet in a way that will stretch out your legs without adding much impact.

The shoes I currently have are reasonably new, and of a mid level in quality. I use them exclusively for running to try and cut down on excess wear. I can't comment as to the cushioning quality over other shoes, as my main drivers for buying a them are cost, and comfort (I have arch issues with some shoes, and heel slipping problems with others - tried on over a dozen pairs before I picked these).

I hear you on the different running surfaces. Pavement gets preference because it is right out my front door. The nearest trail is nearly a 20 minute drive away, and I share a car with my wife. My favourite running was always barefoot on the grass field behind the house I grew up in.

As part of my change in running techniques, I have been trying to work on keeping my foot as close to the ground during strides. That has at least taken care of the shin splints and knee pain I used to get. Haven't had to pull out my old knee band since changing form.

I'll definitely look at getting some more walking in. Maybe convince my wife we need a dog. :wink:

Not sure if the uncomfortable running is being caused by my dislike of running, or if my dislike of running is being caused by my discomfort. I certainly enjoyed it when I was younger. It's an inexpensive means to keep in good shape, and helps to bookend my skiing in the winter and soccer in the summer. If I can make it work again, I'd like to give it that shot.

Avis wrote:Usually, when I notice that I have to force myself out the door for a run, it means something's up with my body. It's natural not to want to do something that hurts and/or makes you feel exhausted, day after day.

Maybe try run/walking for a while, and forget about time/pace/distance. Take the pressure off of your running, and see if some of the pleasure returns.

I'm definitely near the early stages of getting my body up and running after low activity levels. I'm a few weeks past experiencing soreness from working muscle groups that hadn't been activated for a while. Even with brisk skiing over the winter, my first run of the Spring produced sore quads.

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:33 am

Shamus3737 wrote:

Not sure if the uncomfortable running is being caused by my dislike of running, or if my dislike of running is being caused by my discomfort. I certainly enjoyed it when I was younger. It's an inexpensive means to keep in good shape, and helps to bookend my skiing in the winter and soccer in the summer. If I can make it work again, I'd like to give it that shot.

Not too much passion in that argument ;)

Not trying to push buttons - but if you can't find the motivation and passion for something within yourself, you're not going to find it on a discussion board.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

Shamus3737
Percy Williams

Postby Shamus3737 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:37 am

Not a lot of unbridled enthusiasm from me, but considering the medicated depression and anxiety I have to slog through just to show up, I think of any day I get out and do things, a win. There are other activities I have struggled with, enthusiasm wise and with other problems, that I eventually came to enjoy once I had gotten things figured out. Had I quit because I didn't like doing them right away, I'd be missing out on them now.

And not to push buttons myself, but the running community is the only group of athletes I have run in to where some (and note I said some) of it's members have actively encouraged me to quit because I didn't have immediate fire, passion and enthusiasm. On the first running forum I signed up to a few years back, every person to a man who posted, suggested I quit. Apparently I didn't fit the mold of the vibrant, happy go lucky, energy filled people they were used to dealing with. And you know what, out of frustration and other problems I was dealing with at the time, I did quit. I didn't exercise again for over a year too.

I'm not expecting a forum to generate motivation and passion for me, but what I do hope to find is a group of people who may be able to relate to my experiences, relay any similar experiences they may have had, and posit solutions that they have found worked for them. I got that when I entered the skiing community. With that help I was able to improve how I approached and felt about skiing, and through that my enthusiasm for the sport grew.

I really don't know what else to say, though I would thank those people who have made helpful suggestions.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:26 am

OK, so to flip the question around, what is it about running that you like?

There are times when I love running (especially when I've been cooped up indoors for too long) and times when I really hate it and struggle to slog through the run (usually when I'm tired from the stresses of life, or when I'm over-training and running too much - though that doesn't happen too much anymore).

Another thing I came to realize is that I (mostly) like the social aspect of running with other people, as opposed to going alone. I say "mostly" because there are times when I really appreciate the solitude of a run without any expectations or pressures from anyone else. But generally, when I struggle with motivation it's because I don't want to go out on my own.

One of the benefits of keeping a running journal is that besides just time/distance, you can record everything from the weather, the route you ran, who you ran with, how you were feeling before the run, during the run and after the run, etc. You can then review that log to see if there are any patterns.

As many people there are who run, there are variations in preferences. Since we are all an experiment of one, try out some new approaches (use the log book to record those experiments) and see which ones feel best for you.

Here are some variations to try:
1) Instead of running 2x week for 5K each time, run 3x week for 3-4K each time (same total mileage, but spread out over 3 runs instead of 2).
2) Run for time rather than distance (e.g., 30 mins as opposed to 5K).
3) Experiment with out-and-back routes (15-mins out, 15 mins back), multiple loops (i.e., 5x1K loops), etc.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:27 am

One other thing: the first 10-15 minutes of running almost always sucks. ;)

tayken
Tom Longboat

Postby tayken » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:28 am

I'm shocked to read what you wrote below. I mean what a bunch of nincompoops if this really did happen :shock: Even if it was an elite running forum, such vitriol should not be exiting their mouths. It's nice to see that you've stuck to it, and you know with perseverance and mileage build-up will come a better understanding of your own body and the limits it can be pushed to.

Shamus3737 wrote:And not to push buttons myself, but the running community is the only group of athletes I have run in to where some (and note I said some) of it's members have actively encouraged me to quit because I didn't have immediate fire, passion and enthusiasm. On the first running forum I signed up to a few years back, every person to a man who posted, suggested I quit. Apparently I didn't fit the mold of the vibrant, happy go lucky, energy filled people they were used to dealing with. And you know what, out of frustration and other problems I was dealing with at the time, I did quit. I didn't exercise again for over a year too.
On the books for 2017

Winterman 10km - (1st in age group) - Feb 19,
Chilly Half Marathon - Mar 5 (Done)
Around the bay 30k - Mar 26, (Done)
Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,
Ottawa race weekend Voyager Challenge - May 27-28,
Spring Fling Toronto - June?
World Record Kilt Run Perth - June 24
Foam Fest 5k Ottawa - Jul 22
Pure Protein Night Race - Aug 12
Army Run Vimy Challenge - Sep 17
Marathon Du P'tit Train Du Nord Quebec - Oct 22

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:38 pm

Are there contexts where running has been really fun for you?

For example, some of my favourite runs have been with friends, on trails, at night, even in the rain. In mud. Followed by pub. We get muddy, have a blast, eat good food. It's only partially about the fun, though the run part itself also feels awesome. Being in the forest at night, running, playing, being with people whose company I enjoy. On those days, that's what it's about.

There are other runs where I'm by myself and it's about the sunshine and the scenery--ocean, blue sky, etc.

Or there are runs where neither the scenery nor the company are special, but I feel really strong and my music is awesome and it's just a good run.

Sometimes you just need to change things up a bit.... new music, new location, new people...?
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:39 pm

tayken wrote:I'm shocked to read what you wrote below. I mean what a bunch of nincompoops if this really did happen :shock: Even if it was an elite running forum, such vitriol should not be exiting their mouths. It's nice to see that you've stuck to it, and you know with perseverance and mileage build-up will come a better understanding of your own body and the limits it can be pushed to.

Shamus3737 wrote:And not to push buttons myself, but the running community is the only group of athletes I have run in to where some (and note I said some) of it's members have actively encouraged me to quit because I didn't have immediate fire, passion and enthusiasm. On the first running forum I signed up to a few years back, every person to a man who posted, suggested I quit. Apparently I didn't fit the mold of the vibrant, happy go lucky, energy filled people they were used to dealing with. And you know what, out of frustration and other problems I was dealing with at the time, I did quit. I didn't exercise again for over a year too.

Agree completely.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:00 pm

Shamus, your last post brought tears to my eyes. I am so sorry that other runners have felt the need to bully you about your feelings, and made you feel like you don't belong just because you were courageous enough to express your self-doubts. I hope we at Running Mania can do better for you.

Sometimes I run when I'm not feeling the love for it, and I don't let those feelings convince me that I should quit. I know that either, as I wrote above, something is going on physically, or it's a mood-type thing and it will pass. I don't know about other runners, but for me, my feelings about running (ranging from great joy to chore) fluctuate. I take that as normal for me, and try always to be kind to myself. Sometimes that kindness does involve kicking myself out the door, knowing that my mood will improve as the run progresses, and other times, kindness involves taking a day or a week off.

BTW, I am a runner who does best running by myself, although on occasion it's nice to run with someone else.

I hope you can find the approach to running that works for you.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:11 pm

I'm not a platitudes kind of person, you'll get plenty of that elsewhere anyway :)

My point is that running is a pure sport, so there's really not much "to figure out". Ian wrote once that his love of running is based on its purity - you just put some shoes on and go running.

However, both LA and Ultraslacker make good suggestions for disassociation strategies and if you haven't yet, give them all a try. It's all very individual, so what works for one won't work for another; one may indeed work for you.

One thing comes to mind, don't stretch before running as it temporarily weakens the muscles you're stretching and may have something to do with the fatigue you're describing.

About the other running forum you mentioned; depending on what it was, bear in mind that not everything is for everyone. If, for example, I joined a knitting forum and my first post was all about how I didn't enjoy it, couldn't get myself motivated for it, and just used it as a filler between seasonal activities I did enjoy, then I'd expect to be told "to a man" to maybe give up knitting!

Now, don't take all this as an attack; I often seem to come across that way but as I said at the top I don't do platitudes, instead I do real (as I see it) and I hope it helps.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:44 pm

So far no one has mentioned pace or effort. Oftentimes new runners (or on-again/off-again runners) have an expectation of how fast they think they should be going (based on outside influence or what they used to do). If your runs feel bad and you feel spent by 5K, it might be that you are trying to push too hard. Yes, you should feel like it's a good workout, but you shouldn't feel like you have to go as hard as you can each time. Also, since you cross-country ski regularly, you may have more aerobic fitness than your joints/tissues/bones can handle right away. Cross-country skiing is a great full-body aerobic workout, but running is higher impact and uses different muscles. Back off a bit on the pace/effort, or switch to a run/walk routine to start. Gradually you'll find that you naturally go faster, but speed should not be the goal at first.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Shamus3737
Percy Williams

Postby Shamus3737 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:12 am

La wrote:OK, so to flip the question around, what is it about running that you like?

There are times when I love running (especially when I've been cooped up indoors for too long) and times when I really hate it and struggle to slog through the run (usually when I'm tired from the stresses of life, or when I'm over-training and running too much - though that doesn't happen too much anymore).

Another thing I came to realize is that I (mostly) like the social aspect of running with other people, as opposed to going alone. I say "mostly" because there are times when I really appreciate the solitude of a run without any expectations or pressures from anyone else. But generally, when I struggle with motivation it's because I don't want to go out on my own.

One of the benefits of keeping a running journal is that besides just time/distance, you can record everything from the weather, the route you ran, who you ran with, how you were feeling before the run, during the run and after the run, etc. You can then review that log to see if there are any patterns.

As many people there are who run, there are variations in preferences. Since we are all an experiment of one, try out some new approaches (use the log book to record those experiments) and see which ones feel best for you.

Here are some variations to try:
1) Instead of running 2x week for 5K each time, run 3x week for 3-4K each time (same total mileage, but spread out over 3 runs instead of 2).
2) Run for time rather than distance (e.g., 30 mins as opposed to 5K).
3) Experiment with out-and-back routes (15-mins out, 15 mins back), multiple loops (i.e., 5x1K loops), etc.

What I like about running are those times when the discomfort finally subsides, the music seems to fit just right, and those "feeling good" chemicals start to flood out into the blood. I had that last week when I went to the local indoor track. Everything was going great and I felt the urge to kick things up a notch. I was able to pick up the pace, lengthen my strides, and generally tear things up for the last kilometer of my run. It just felt like everything in my body was running smoothly and I was able to go on all cylinders. That, and the end of every run. No matter how bad I feel on any of my runs, I feel like a million bucks for a while afterwards.

Running for a distance has become a habit for me based on where I live. I'm out in the country, so out and back is the only option I have for locations I can get to on foot. I end up feeling like I have failed if I don't make the distance I did last time, in the time I made it before. I've started driving in to town though, when I can get the car, and using the indoor track. For that I am able to just work on timed runs, which is a nice change of pace.

La wrote:One other thing: the first 10-15 minutes of running almost always sucks. ;)

That's good to know it's not just me then. Easier to push through crap when you know it's just par for the course. :P

ultraslacker wrote:Are there contexts where running has been really fun for you?

For example, some of my favourite runs have been with friends, on trails, at night, even in the rain. In mud. Followed by pub. We get muddy, have a blast, eat good food. It's only partially about the fun, though the run part itself also feels awesome. Being in the forest at night, running, playing, being with people whose company I enjoy. On those days, that's what it's about.

There are other runs where I'm by myself and it's about the sunshine and the scenery--ocean, blue sky, etc.

Or there are runs where neither the scenery nor the company are special, but I feel really strong and my music is awesome and it's just a good run.

Sometimes you just need to change things up a bit.... new music, new location, new people...?

I've started running with a friend (began last week), which is a nice change of pace. I'm not a very social person, but sometimes it's encouraging to add a social aspect to these things. That has been a big part of what really kept me going in skiing. I'm part of a local club that organizes weekly night ski gatherings, as well as joining up with another group that meets to ski once a week, followed by coffee. Apparently there will be biking and beer outings in the spring and summer. The runners around here seem to be a bit less gregarious, as I have yet to find something similar in a running group.

I'm a bit envious of your running scenery. I'm staring at trees just about everywhere I can go. Wish I could run out by the family cabin in Nfld, where there are roads and walking trails running along the tops of spectacular seaside cliffs.

And I'm on the hunt for new running music. I've been using the same stuff for a few years, and it has gotten really stale. I never thought it would be this difficult to find something new that would make me want to get moving.

Mark.AU wrote:I'm not a platitudes kind of person, you'll get plenty of that elsewhere anyway :)

My point is that running is a pure sport, so there's really not much "to figure out". Ian wrote once that his love of running is based on its purity - you just put some shoes on and go running.

However, both LA and Ultraslacker make good suggestions for disassociation strategies and if you haven't yet, give them all a try. It's all very individual, so what works for one won't work for another; one may indeed work for you.

One thing comes to mind, don't stretch before running as it temporarily weakens the muscles you're stretching and may have something to do with the fatigue you're describing.

About the other running forum you mentioned; depending on what it was, bear in mind that not everything is for everyone. If, for example, I joined a knitting forum and my first post was all about how I didn't enjoy it, couldn't get myself motivated for it, and just used it as a filler between seasonal activities I did enjoy, then I'd expect to be told "to a man" to maybe give up knitting!

Now, don't take all this as an attack; I often seem to come across that way but as I said at the top I don't do platitudes, instead I do real (as I see it) and I hope it helps.

I'm certainly not out looking for platitudes. I have difficulty handing out compliments, and often feel uncomfortable getting them. But I have no reserves about trying to offer as much help as I can to someone who is struggling, even if I might feel they are doomed to fail. I'm not comfortable being the judge of what someone is capable of, especially with the right resources at their disposal.

While I certainly agree that most anyone can run on some level, I would argue that other than when someone is very young, with a very adaptable body, running is anything but a pure sport, and there is a great deal to figure out. When I was young, I ran for the love of moving. However, no one taught me how to run safely or properly, and by the time I was moving in to teenage-hood, I had buggered up my knees. All through high school and for the first decade of my adult life, I wore knee supports and experienced knee pain, shin splints and lower back pain. If you want to kill a person's love of something, that will do it. It wasn't until I did some reading and realized all the mistakes I had been making over the years, that I was able to improve my running technique, and remove almost all my running pain. I had assumed I would be using knee braces all my life, but I haven't had to touch them for several years now.

Growing up I was always encouraged to pre-stretch before running. It's still something I do, but your suggestion that it might be a problem, has given me something else to investigate. It's not a platitude, but a helpful suggestion that may well help me on my road to improving my running experiences, and perhaps one day restore my love of running. ;)!

Jwolf wrote:So far no one has mentioned pace or effort. Oftentimes new runners (or on-again/off-again runners) have an expectation of how fast they think they should be going (based on outside influence or what they used to do). If your runs feel bad and you feel spent by 5K, it might be that you are trying to push too hard. Yes, you should feel like it's a good workout, but you shouldn't feel like you have to go as hard as you can each time. Also, since you cross-country ski regularly, you may have more aerobic fitness than your joints/tissues/bones can handle right away. Cross-country skiing is a great full-body aerobic workout, but running is higher impact and uses different muscles. Back off a bit on the pace/effort, or switch to a run/walk routine to start. Gradually you'll find that you naturally go faster, but speed should not be the goal at first.

I was definitely surprised by how little the skiing had prepared my leg muscles for the rigours of running. It took my legs about 5 days to recover from my first run, before I could go out again. And I find myself fighting my own nature when it comes to pacing. I've always been more of a natural sprinter (was the top short distance runner at my high school, all 5 years), and I have the desire to push myself as hard as I can. Obviously not the best strategy when it comes to distance running, but I am getting better.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:58 am

Shamus3737 wrote:
Jwolf wrote:So far no one has mentioned pace or effort. Oftentimes new runners (or on-again/off-again runners) have an expectation of how fast they think they should be going (based on outside influence or what they used to do). If your runs feel bad and you feel spent by 5K, it might be that you are trying to push too hard. Yes, you should feel like it's a good workout, but you shouldn't feel like you have to go as hard as you can each time. Also, since you cross-country ski regularly, you may have more aerobic fitness than your joints/tissues/bones can handle right away. Cross-country skiing is a great full-body aerobic workout, but running is higher impact and uses different muscles. Back off a bit on the pace/effort, or switch to a run/walk routine to start. Gradually you'll find that you naturally go faster, but speed should not be the goal at first.

I was definitely surprised by how little the skiing had prepared my leg muscles for the rigours of running. It took my legs about 5 days to recover from my first run, before I could go out again. And I find myself fighting my own nature when it comes to pacing. I've always been more of a natural sprinter (was the top short distance runner at my high school, all 5 years), and I have the desire to push myself as hard as I can. Obviously not the best strategy when it comes to distance running, but I am getting better.

So, yeah- it sounds to me like you're basically trying to race each workout. Taking 5 days to recovery surely indicates that-- and even now when you are running every other day-- it likely feels like crap because your body isn't really recovered from the previous run. I did that when I first started running- unlike you I was never a fast runner as a kid, but I tried to take it up in my early 20s for exercise. I had this pre-conceived idea of what a "good" running pace was supposed to be, and would try to hit that every time-- and like you would hit about 20-25 minutes before burning out each time. My runs left me sore and tired, but I would keep trying, until I eventually gave up for the season. And then I'd try again the next year-- run, rinse, repeat. And guess what? I'd burn out again and never really get faster. It was only several years later when I met some friends who had started running and continued with some consistency that I learned to moderate my pace and effort, and then I was able to go longer. And keep it up with consistency and enjoy it more. It was sort of by accident-- these new friends were slower runners than what I thought was a "decent" running pace, so I slowed down to run with them.

Eventually once you build up that consistency, you'll be able to push it harder for some of your running. There's nothing better than the feel of a good hard run. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:13 am

Shamus3737 wrote:Running for a distance has become a habit for me based on where I live. I'm out in the country, so out and back is the only option I have for locations I can get to on foot. I end up feeling like I have failed if I don't make the distance I did last time, in the time I made it before.

Maybe your own expectations are getting in your way of your enjoyment of running? ;) I'm sure Mark.AU can share his experience of when he ditched the watch and just started running for pleasure.

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:20 am

I had been very active my entire life. Hockey, skiing, soccer, soft ball, etc, etc. But as I got older, more the more of these activities were abandoned. I eventually gained too much weight and so off to the gym in my mid 30s. I got into very good shape but one day, when on a stair climber looking out the window on a summer day, I noticed some runners. How hard could it be I asked myself. Bought some runners, had a nice cotton shirt and using a bike map, would run between 5 - 9.5 K. My body and day would determine how far, how fast and how often. I listened to my body and if running was not fun, at least it was not punishing. The key indicator of success was that later in my rounds of golf, I still was fresh and strong.

When I was 38 years old, a coworker asked me if I wanted to do a 10 K race. I said yes and the only goal was not to embarrass myself. 48:58 and 26th out of 217 finishers, I was hooked on running. I ran my first marathon two years later in 2004 and without a clue what I was doing. I would run with a cotton shirt and go out way too fast. No water, no gels, no GPS. I brought money as I would have to stop at a convenience store to buy chocolate and liquids in order to finish. I did 3 or 4 such runs of around 29 K but without a journal, that is my best guess. Plus an epic 40 K training run. I ran by myself and other than picking up the odd Runner's World, not a clue. Again, listened to my body and did what seemed right. Did that again the next year with some bizarre training - 6 K warm up, 10 X a set of nasty stairs and with minimal recovery, 6 K back home at Marathon pace. Long story short, qualified and ran in two Boston Marathons. Did well trail racing and won my age category a number of times with two series titles and one second.

By this time, I had stopped listening to my body. I read books and training schedules. Went on line for advise. And worst, ran merely for performance and by 2011, my body would literally not let me even jog. I would take a few steps and I would stop.

I listened to my body, did what felt was right and in July 2012, ran almost 510 K. Had my marathon been in August, it would have been great but it was October. It was a miserable experience. Ran one third as less I thought, run harder according the the FIRST program in 2013. Plus the speed work would set me up to do some fast 10 K races. Hated the running that year and there times my body was so beat up, it only felt good running. 2014, entered a 50 K race. Was on the road to crippling myself but instead, I listened to my body. I did runs that felt "good" or right for me. Throw away any and all expectations and had a great race. I enjoyed the race despite and maybe because of how slow I ran. But with that same sort of pace at a fall marathon, it was miserable and drudgery.

2015 - compression fracture in my lower back from too much and too hard hill training.

2016 - recovered and had a great race in terms of performance but it was misery during the race even as I was picking off runners in the last 5 k was they were fading and I was getting stronger. I blow my race prediction on a 29 K race to the top of a mountain and back down by 30 minutes and all I could muster was why did I push so hard and how stupid that was. At one time, I would have been on a cloud.

2017 - had planned to train and run a "civilized" marathon. Long story short, my running has altered my heart and some nasty warning signs started t emerge. Marathon became 10 K race. That training started off so well that I entered another 10 K race. I had rediscovered cycling last year and with the new approach to running, entered a duathlon.

But then something unexpected happened. I was listening to my body, mostly and my old speed was coming back. I was two months ahead of schedule as I was running with a watch but only to see where I was. I would not look at anything until I down loaded the data. But oddly, I was not really having any fun. There was no real sense of joy or accomplishment. Then the wheels started to fall off. The chronic running injuries: left calf where I had previously suffered a stress fracture would act up every day. Right hip was sore. The back was stiff and sore. And there was more. Took some time off due to a vacation in Europe. But all of those issues died down despite walking 3 - 4 hours every day. Slowly started running again. But then everything flared up once again.

I am skipping the second 10 k race. I am going to run the 10 K in May because I am not a well person. I have run every distance at the Calgary marathon aside from the 10 K so it is an itch I have to scratch. Plus it is through the down town and so not something I could recreate on my own. My race training is the odd interval and I will have to get in a few runs when I feel like doing them again. Not too concerned as I have back on my road bike when not on my spinner bike. Bought a mountain bike and so when not on the road or spinner bike, on that bike.

Twice I have thought my race career is over and twice I have come back so I am never going to say never. But ... this time there is no motivation, no reason to start to run again. I have my bikes, a great home gym that I love to use.

This is a very long winded way to say that when I first started to run, I never had an issue. It turns out, I was relatively fast but I never really pushed myself to run a certain speed or even a certain distance just because it was Tuesday. It was only after I had beaten the living heck out of my body and some much accumulated damage from years of abuse that it takes me about a mile before I do not feel like total crap. Which leads to the next question you asked and that is, is running for everyone. For me, right now, I can say it is an unequivocal NO. I may go out and jog and may even run but I suspect that will be few and far between. No where near any level where I can be considered a "runner". It does make you any less of a person if it not your thing. I loved racing, the competition and meeting or exceeding a goal. For many years, that was worth the pain and suffering. And in the last few weeks, that switch is off. I see no point in doing road races anymore and with that, my reason for "running" has faded away as well.

So if you going to run, YOU have to set the terms. The universe does not care whether you ran 3 K or 30 K. It does not care how fast or how often. So if you are running too hard, too far and/or too often, this might explain the issues. There is nothing wrong with walking a few kilometers until that becomes easy. Then jogging and then running. Heck, you may find walking or jogging is "good" enough. Or not enough and you may need to run. And as noted, there may also be the possibility that it is not just for you. Maybe there is something else that will ignite your passion or at the very least, be less miserable or even approaching pleasant. But only you know the answer. Or maybe, you hate running but it seems to work well for your health and fitness or meets other needs and so the strategy it to learn to deal with the misery.

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Postby marymac442 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:47 am

La wrote:One other thing: the first 10-15 minutes of running almost always sucks. ;)

This, most runs it takes me 40 minutes before I'm feeling warmed up and enjoying it (that feeling usually ends around 20 minutes later :roll: ).
Needless to say I'm not a huge fan of 5k races.
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

Return to “General Running Discussion”