This happens right?

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

bluejay
Percy Williams

This happens right?

Postby bluejay » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:31 pm

I was running in a local 5k today and peed my pants!!! This has never happened to me before. I didn't even realize I had to go that bad, but started to leak, and then it was like my bladder gave up all control. Fortunately, no spectators on that part, and I just stopped and stepped to the side (grassy), and hoped no one noticed. (Maybe the people behind me?). Gah, at least I was wearing black tights.

Then I just started running again to finish.

I've read this happens, but never expected it myself.....I'm just surprised and embarrassed that there seemed to be no hope of stopping once it started!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Re: This happens right?

Postby Avis » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:04 pm

Ok, I'll respond first! Good on you for finishing that race, no matter what. I've had a couple of instances where I suddenly peed, and like you, I didn't feel like I had to go. It was just a sudden little leakage, which didn't continue on to a full-out drainage of the bladder. It happened only a couple times, embarrassing like you say, and I could never figure out what the trigger was. Once I was running on the treadmill in the gym, other times, just an ordinary outdoor run.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

bluejay
Percy Williams

Postby bluejay » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:17 pm

Well, there didn't seem much choice except to keep on going.....ah well, I only hope it never happens again!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:28 pm

how hard were you running?

I've heard of this with people running super hard.

I've never had it happen, but I'm not competitive and run slowly for long distance instead of hard for short distances.

I'm also the opposite... once I start running, my bowels, etc, shut down... I almost never need to use the bathroom when I am running, even when I'm out for many hours (unless I'm sick or something).
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

bluejay
Percy Williams

Postby bluejay » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:29 pm

I wasn't going very hard, close to normal pace and a distance I normally run. My pelvic floor has been weakened by multiple pregnancies, though normally, it's not really a problem. If anything, I probably didn't pee close enough to the start...much to my regret!

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:35 am

It happens. I have heard that pregnancies can do this to you. It hasn't happened to me yet post pregnancy (I'm really just gettinnback to running now) but I know it has happened to friends of mine. One even started wearing pads every time she ran as she expected it to happen. I'm not sure how much she had, full bladder or just leakage, though.

It's not just you.
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

Return to “General Running Discussion”