4:52

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Dstew
Bill Crothers

4:52

Postby Dstew » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:12 pm

To qualify to run the 2019 Boston Marathon, one had to run 4:52 faster than the official qualifying time. They are going to once again tighten the times and so the times will be reduced another five minutes for the 2020 race.

I feel so fortunate that when I qualified by running a marathon in July back in 2005, there was no question if I completed the registration process when it opened in September, I was in. There was something magical and special about that. I waited around for the official results even though I say the clock and checked the list about ten times just to make sure. I was on cloud nine and could not stop smiling. So I do genuinely feel for those who had to wait and see if they qualified or not.

I have to add that reading about this was very humbling and comforting. The two qualifying times were both over the current standard. And with what happened this year and the changes coming, there would have been zero chance of me even coming close to the new time limits. In 2006, I was on pace for a sub 3:15 race at the 20 mile mark. But I slowed down because of some heat just to make sure as I knew I had a very large cushion. As it turns out, I almost blew that but regained my focus just enough to sneak in a second time. So I may have been able to get in if the time had been 3:15. But 3:10, not in my wildest dreams. The humbling part is self evident. It is comforting in that it shows just how relative or subject performance can be. A 3:16 marathon in 2005 had me easily qualify for the Boston marathon. Had I still be 41 years old with that time a few years ago, I would have qualified. But this year and next year, I may have not even tried as I would have realized just how far away that goal was. So running any race is nice but in a sense meaningless and subjective. And since that is the case, just going for the occasional jog works just as well as the meaning is assigned by me.

rickybobby
Percy Williams

Re: 4:52

Postby rickybobby » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:01 pm

Agreed. The problem is that the BQ times tend to favour older men and older women. Not that I mind, for as the years go by, I'm becoming the former.

Windy.
It's never too early to taper or to carbo load.

Return to “General Running Discussion”