Sleepless Sunday!

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Sleepless Sunday!

Postby Kristi » Sun May 14, 2006 4:53 am

Well...it's 5:50 in the morning and I've been up for longer than I care to admit. But it's race day and what can you expect? At least it means that I get to start the daily thread! I've got lots of time to get ready before I head down to the start line. This morning I'm nervous, but not not panicky - so I guess that's a good thing. :think:
Looking forward to seeing some of you out on the race course!!

Scott
Bill Crothers

Postby Scott » Sun May 14, 2006 5:16 am

Happy Mother's Day to all of our Maniac Moms and Moms-to-be!

Good luck racers - GIVE'R

A lite run for me this morning to loosen up my legs after the ride yesterday. Note to self: don't do a long ride on a new bike, its no different than running a race in new sneakers
Next Up:
Just get through the next year without more setbacks
Proud Supporter of our Troops Overseas

BaldGuy
Jerome Drayton

Postby BaldGuy » Sun May 14, 2006 6:02 am

Kristi, I'll be thinking of you (and all our Maniac racers) this morning; sorry I won't be there to cheer you on :(

23K planned with the speedy BIL today, followed by a nice lunch with MrsBG and LittleBG.
BG

CeilidhOnTheRun
Jerome Drayton

Postby CeilidhOnTheRun » Sun May 14, 2006 6:05 am

Just preparing my prerace breakfast. Got everything together. It looks like the morning will start off a little cooler than predicted. That's a good thing.

Time to go hyrdate and eat. See you at the finish Maniacs!
~Trish
Recovering slowly...

BaldGuy
Jerome Drayton

Postby BaldGuy » Sun May 14, 2006 6:13 am

Somebody we all know placed third in his age group at the Mississauga 10K last night:

sportstats.ca wrote:23 0:40:39.9 4:04 0:40:32.2 9100 HACHEY, RAY TORONTO 20/495 3/74 Men 40 - 44

Nice job, big guy!
BG

Mike from Creemore
Tom Longboat

Postby Mike from Creemore » Sun May 14, 2006 6:15 am

Good luck to the runners in NB today, will be looking forward to the race reports. Happy Mothers day to all the moms out there. Rest day for me after LSD and 27 holes of golf yesterday! Almost wished I'd used a cart by the end of it :o Certainly noticed that i haven't walked much since my training started and there are other muscles that shouldn't be negelected!
Happy trails to all.
Mike

Mike from Creemore
Tom Longboat

Postby Mike from Creemore » Sun May 14, 2006 6:17 am

Now if only I could pay attention to my spelling issues!!! Neglected NOT negelected! and good luck to the other runners today too, Sorry about the double entry folks.

mlazenby
Bill Crothers

Postby mlazenby » Sun May 14, 2006 6:32 am

65 km on the Bruce Trail (Ravenna to Duntroon). Could be a nicer day for it. Good luck to racers!
Hola!

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Sun May 14, 2006 7:05 am

Good luck to all the racers today ... and a big congratulations to Ray. Nicely done.

Heading out for a long run in a short while. How long? Who knows? Just see how I'm feeling.

Have a good one, folks.

dmchardie
Bruce Kidd

Postby dmchardie » Sun May 14, 2006 7:09 am

Good luck to all the racers today. I'm off to the Fredericton 10K soon. I hope the hammy holds up, haven't ran since Monday.
My wonderful father bought me a RR double jogger stroller, which he had delivered on Friday night. I'm super stoked. Elle, Belle (the dog) and I went for our first run/walk last night with it, I'm a huge fan.
Anyway, I need to start hydrating a bit. Already had breakfast.
Congrats to Ray on that blistering 10K yesterday. Wow. That's pretty impressive! :shock:
I can't wait to see all the Maniacs today, I'll be wearing a white and blue sleeveless technical shirt and blue shorts. (Sorry no orange yet... :D )
Running Blog: http://danmchardierunning.blogspot.com/

Miramichi 10K: 38:42 (PB)
Grande-Digue 15K: 1:02:08 (PB)
Legs for Literacy Half-Marathon: 1:31:32 (PB)
2005 Royal Victoria Marathon: 3:19:00 (PB)

hmacdonald
Bill Crothers

Postby hmacdonald » Sun May 14, 2006 7:12 am

Psyching myself up to try and run 20K this morning. I'd be a lot more confident about it if the wind wasn't 20K with gusts up to 30K. Yuck.

Good luck to all the racers, and in particular really good luck to those people doing their "firsts" of any distance!

Heather

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun May 14, 2006 7:15 am

Good luck to all the racers today :D
Congrats Ray...wow...you are a speedster!
Going to run this afternoon...an hour.
Will take C-Moss for a long offleash walk.... a little cool here today but it looks like the rain may hold off.

Joanne
C-Moss: I am officially back in bootcamp..."she" is taking me to get weighed this week...I think just to prove to me that I should lose 3 pounds... :cry: :roll:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Dani
Jerome Drayton

Postby Dani » Sun May 14, 2006 7:29 am

I am fed, dressed, stressed, and off to the races!
Good luck racers!
And Happy Mother's Day!
I used to run. All the time.
Now? Notsomuch.
I'm still a runner, though.
Life is fluid and ever changing. I am too.

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Sun May 14, 2006 7:41 am

I too, am fed, dressed and just about ready for my 1:55 LSD!

Happy Mother's Day to all the mom's!

Speed demons with all the racers!

Congrats Ray! Wow! You're fast!
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sun May 14, 2006 7:56 am

120 km ride on the books for today.

Last night, we ran 25 km around Gatineau Park. There is no such thing as flat ground in that park!!! We left a little too late, and ended up running the last 8-10 km in the dark. I was a little scared (since I'm scared of the dark :oops:) - it's REALLY REALLY dark up there! (no streetlights!) The run was a character building run. I tried e-load again, and, it doesn't work for me - at all. Gives me a tight chest. I felt horrible at 10 km, couldn't imagine doing another 15, so, we started doing....10/1. 9/2, 8/3, 7/4, 8/3, 9/2, 10/1, repeat. (That's my plan for IMLP).....surprisingly, the second half was only 2.5 minutes slower than the first half!!

I would rank last night's run up there with one of my top 5 most difficult training runs. I'm so glad I had company to help me finish.

I fell down a small flight of stairs yesterday (only 3 stairs), but, I landed on my padding (on my butt) and it's a bit sore today.....hopefully it will hold up on the bike.

GREAT JOB RAY!!!!!

Sending speedy vibes to those racing right now!

Happy Mom's day!
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Scott
Bill Crothers

Postby Scott » Sun May 14, 2006 8:16 am

irongirl wrote:120 km ride on the books for today.

Kiza, how long (this season) did it take for you to get to a 120km ride? Were you spinning/rolling during the winter?
Next Up:

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sun May 14, 2006 8:23 am

Scott wrote:

Kiza, how long (this season) did it take for you to get to a 120km ride? Were you spinning/rolling during the winter?

I did spin classes three times a week all winter - with the one on the weekend going up to 2 hours (usually 1.5 - 2 hours, with a run before or after)......

Then, my long rides looked like this:

April 1 - 52 km
April 8 - 75 km (with a good 30 minute break at halfway)
April 15 - 83
April 22 - 82 (planned 100 - it was pouring rain)
April 29 - 81.5
May 7 - 101
today......120, hopefully! :)

the spinning over the winter had made a huge difference.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Sun May 14, 2006 8:28 am

Great but very windy ride to the gym. It was suprisingly empty today... I guess Mother's Day breakfast took all the member's away. Good for me though as all the equipment was available! Another windy ride back home & taking mom out for Dim Sum shortly.

Happy Mother's Day!

Good luck to all racers!

Garth bought a cyclocross bike!!!!
:D
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Sun May 14, 2006 8:32 am

Good luck to all racers today!!! :lol:

Irongirl, I think i'll try the Gatineau Park to try to get ready for Wolfe and its hills... I hadn't thought of that.

5K this morning for me. I hope to be able to squeeze it in before it rains. Then, I'm off to Montreal to have dinner with a friend, sleep at her place and go to my doctor's appointment tomorrow morning. It sucks not to have a family doctor in the Ottawa area, but I get to spend time with my friend, whom I almost never see anymore.

Edited to add: Happy Mother's Day to all RM's mommies!
Last edited by Kelodie on Sun May 14, 2006 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

Scott
Bill Crothers

Postby Scott » Sun May 14, 2006 8:34 am

irongirl wrote:
Scott wrote:

I did spin classes three times a week all winter - with the one on the weekend going up to 2 hours (usually 1.5 - 2 hours, with a run before or after)......

Then, my long rides looked like this:

April 1 - 52 km
April 8 - 75 km (with a good 30 minute break at halfway)
April 15 - 83
April 22 - 82 (planned 100 - it was pouring rain)
April 29 - 81.5
May 7 - 101
today......120, hopefully! :)

the spinning over the winter had made a huge difference.

Thanks, IG, I'm shooting for a Century ride in Sept and I want to be well over the 160km mark by then. I'm at 83 now and I'll drop back for a couple of weeks to the 40-50km range before building again. I've got my commuting ride during the week for consistancy.
Next Up:

Run26.2
Jerome Drayton

Postby Run26.2 » Sun May 14, 2006 9:02 am

I ran the first half of the National Capital Marathon course this morning on a cool and very WINDY day here in the nation's capital. If you are running the marathon here in two weeks for the first time, there are a few rolling hills in the first 21km...nothing major but enough that you need to watch your pace carefully or it will come back to bite you! Happy Mother's Day to all you wonderful mothers out there, including my own and my wife! 8)
"...twenty miles of hope, six miles of truth..."
21 marathons since 2001......up next, CND Army half-marathon in Sept. and Toronto Waterfront marathon in Oct.

runcherylrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runcherylrun » Sun May 14, 2006 9:12 am

I'm enjoying a very relaxing morning so far - got my cup of java - got my RM reading. Good luck to all the racers today - looking forward to hearing all about it.

I'm feeling surprisingly good this morning after yesterdays 25k. Maybe it was the 9 holes of golf we played last night where I kicked some serious butt. Our two sons can bomb it out there but they couldn't come close to my 2 over par 38. Yeah, the "old folks" rule !! :D :D

I have a 30 minute easy run planned for later today.

Have a good one everybody, run safe.

Cheryl
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Helen Keller

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun May 14, 2006 9:15 am

I don't know what the heck I did on friday, but my calves are still so sore that I can barely descend stairs. I have never had this problem before. :P

Happy Mothers Day to all the moms, and good luck to all the racers!

This morning I'm taking my mom out for brunch... and then off to work this afternoon... :(
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

cjc
Bruce Kidd

Postby cjc » Sun May 14, 2006 9:16 am

All you racers - Good luck and have fun!!

All you Moms - Happy Mother's Day!

Ray - Congratulations ... very speedy!

All the rest of you - hope your Sunday is a nice one.

It's looking rather grey here so best get out for a short run ...

Cathy

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Sun May 14, 2006 9:33 am

Good luck to all the racers. Happy Mother's Day to the legions of momma maniacs.

Soccer practice from 9.45 to 11.15 last night and I tried to be careful, only going at 50% in the scrimmage. Woke up this morning at 7 and my foot hurt but not the same as usual. So, insted of going to Slater Street and doing 20K....I rollled over. It feels OK now, I'm not sure what it was, It felt like a bone out of place or somthing silly. TLC: soak in cold water, flexing & massage did the trick.

Getting ready for a local run on my own. Two weeks from now we'll be showering and packing up, ready to eat cold lobster after the Cabot Trail Relay Race is done.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Return to “General Running Discussion”