Can I run a half-m 2 weeks after my first full-m?

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:30 am

Only you can know for sure, but you might even feel like you're ready and you're not. How fast you recover somewhat depends on how high mileage you were doing during the training. For most people for after a first marathon, that would be too soon. Also, you might not have the discipline in a race situation to go slow.

I wasn't even ready for 16K two weeks after my first marathon. :shock:

But don't worry about losing fitness... the general recommendation is no hard or long runs within 3-4 weeks after a marathon in order to make sure you're fully recovered. Experienced marathoners and those with high mileage don't need as much.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:32 am

Only you know your fitness level.

As long as you are taking it easy, AND go in with the mind set that its ok to not finish over getting seriously hurt. I don't see a problem.

Remember, don't get hurt, there will be other races!
Bettina Peterson: "Where're you headed?"
Chuck Noland: "Well, I was just about to figure that out."

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:33 am

Welcome to RunningMania jgirl!

There's an article in this month's RunnersWorld about getting back into racing after a marathon (but in the article it's going marathon then 5 or 10K, and the timeframe is a month...) PArt of the point of the article is to remind you that all that fitness you built up for the marathon doesn't magically disappear when you cross the finish line. You're still very fit.

Maybe part of the decision is knowing yourself and whether you would have the discipline to DNF or slow to a crawl if a problem were to occur on the half marathon course.

If it were me and I felt good I'd go for it... but with a heightened senisitivity to what my body was saying to me.

Good luck with whatever you choose! 8)
Last edited by dgrant on Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:34 am

Oh, by the way, welcome to RunningMania. Enjoy.
Bettina Peterson: "Where're you headed?"
Chuck Noland: "Well, I was just about to figure that out."

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:24 am

It depends, jgirl ... :roll:

As others have said, only you know your body and how well you've recovered from your marathon .... Just remember that during your weeks of training, and your marathon race day, many, many micro tears in your muscles, tendons and body occurred ... and, although, you may appear to feel fine, physically and mentally, in actuality your body may not necessarily agree deep down ...

And, yes, it is suggested that no hard training for at least 2-3 weeks, though it does not mean no running/training at all .. and, active recovery is recommended ...

How much and how far have you ran since your marathon ???

It is true, that your fitness gains after marathon training, again assuming you came out injury free, remains with you .... and, focusing on the shorter events your 5K and 10K performance may actually be improved considerably ....

We are all different, and have different levels of experience, training and abilities .... For some it may take 4-5 weeks to recover and others, 3-5 days before resuming regular training, it all depends ....

As well, your goals and expectations for the 1/2 Marathon, as noted by others, will have to be outlined before going in .... Plan your race strategy and race your plan ....

In the end, it is your decision .... Take care and all the best in whatever decision you choose .... :wink:
Last edited by HCcD on Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

dwayne_runs_far
Bill Crothers

Postby dwayne_runs_far » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:59 am

Hi Jgirl,

Your biggest challenge will be how the hip feels. I've had some soreness after events that felt fine until I got out for a run and started pushing the pace a bit.

Have you ran a couple miles at race pace since Minneapolis?

How did you feel after your 20 mile training runs? What was your ability to recover and say, do speed work a few days later (if you did speed work that is).

Sometimes it is really easy to get caught up in the euphoria of a finish and we start to feel invincible - I'm living proof of that :oops:

Perhaps a 10k with a medal might be easier on the body than a half :-)

What half are you considering? The terrain might be a big factor too.

Best of luck in whatever you decide,
Dwayne
I run distance because I want to be in good shape when I die.
--
Friends don't let friends do anything stupid.
Alone.
Blackfoot 2007.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:32 am

Could you? Yes. Should you? That depends.

Do you have any other race goals in the coming months? Doing a run that long so soon after your marathon is certainly possible, but you're not going to benefit from the rest you should be taking at this time. As others have said, you're not going to "lose" your fitness by taking 3 weeks off post-marathon. In fact, you'll likely improve your fitness because you've taken time to rest.

I know how it feels, though. Post race, your body is craving rest and recovery. But your brain misses the endorphins and the feeling of exhilaration you get from running. Likely, your brain is going "stir crazy" from the inactivity.

For me, the key was to do shorter runs so that I'd get my "fix" but still allow my body to heal. I have to admit, though, that I haven't been as diligent on the resting part as I should have. :oops:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:32 pm

Welcome jgirl!

I agree with what Andy (HCiD) said. Injuries do not occur all of a sudden. Most injuries are "the straw that broke the camel's back". Injuries normally occur with an accumulation of stress and work or overwork, if you will. Sometimes the injury doesn't present itself or occur for quite a while, for example a stress fracture or tendonitis, although it is lurking there.

Sure you could run the Half Mary but your risk of injury is greater than normal. It's your call if you want to accept the risk.

Good luck in your decision!
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

mfreeby
Johnny Miles

Postby mfreeby » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:36 pm

Well, I'm pretty new to all this, so I don't know about the whole half 2 weeks after the full, I just wanted to say that I really like the medals too!! :dance:
"I know I can stop the pain if I will it all away" - Evanescence

Next up: Mother's Day 10K
Peach City Half - May 20/07

Fun Run 10K, Vernon BC June '06
Summerfast 10K, Vancouver BC July '06
OIM Half, Kelowna BC Oct '06

Return to “Training ”