Long runs, walk breaks and distance

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

grimskot
Bill Crothers

Postby grimskot » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:33 pm

Question for those of us who regularly take walk breaks during long runs: do you count total distance travelled towards your target for the run, or just the running parts?

Let's say I have a 15km long run planned. I use my handy-dandy Garmin to take regular walk breaks: 9 min running, 1 min walking, repeat. Now, do I keep running until I have completed 15km in distance, or keep running until I have run 15km?

The first option seems pretty straightforward to execute: if I'm on a new route, just keep checking Garmin until I'm completed 7.5km, then turn around, if nothing else. The second option is more complicated, obviously, and yet it's the one I usually do. I have to guess how many sets of 9R/1W would add up to 15km of pure running. Sometimes I'm close, sometimes I'm short (if I'm running slower than usual due to heat, like today), and sometimes I go too far. I'm trying to stick to my training plan for a half marathon in October, and want to make sure I do the distance. I followed the same approach to my long runs while training for a half marathon this previous June. Yet at the same time, I don't want to do too much & overtrain & injure myself. (I have had physio in past few years for sore hip, twisted ankle & calf/achilles issues.)

Looking for some feedback. Thanks in advance :-)
Plan for 2016:
Jun 25: St. Malo Triathlon - Sprint - done
Jul 16: Morden Triathlon - Sprint - done

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Re: Long runs, walk breaks and distance

Postby abhainn » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:39 pm

Well, I'm not running, or walking, right now, but when I was I counted total distance, including walk breaks. As long as you're moving forward it counts imho.
Andrea Michelle

------------------------------------------------

"There are no fish in my pond"

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:53 pm

abhainn wrote:Well, I'm not running, or walking, right now, but when I was I counted total distance, including walk breaks. As long as you're moving forward it counts imho.

+1 Whenever I need to walk, taking nutrition, water, waterever the reason, it's all part of the overall mileage.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:56 pm

all of the run/walk programs that I've used consider the walk to be part of the total distance - you are on your feet and still moving forward!

If you were in a race and got to the finish line, you wouldn't be told to continue running, since you walked x distance during the race! ;)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:27 pm

It all counts. You're still making forward progress. During a race, the time is still ticking and you're still getting closer to the finish line.

The only times I turn off my timer during a training run are for potty breaks and red lights.
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:31 pm

It all counts.

The only caveat - it's not the same as going continuously. I take walk breaks sometimes and I know that (say) 3x20 minutes hard is not the same as 60 minutes hard.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:59 pm

If you are going to follow the run/walk plan in the race, then some of that distance will be walking. So it only makes sense to count your total run+walk distance as you build the length of your runs. Of course your pace will average out over the whole distance and be slower than your run-only pace.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

grimskot
Bill Crothers

Postby grimskot » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:37 am

If you were in a race and got to the finish line, you wouldn't be told to continue running, since you walked x distance during the race! ;)

Hee! I particularly like this quote, since it puts my question in the right context. Thank you all for your replies.
Plan for 2016:
Jun 25: St. Malo Triathlon - Sprint - done
Jul 16: Morden Triathlon - Sprint - done

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:03 am

daddy_runner wrote:The only times I turn off my timer during a training run are for potty breaks and red lights.
I don't turn off the timer for that sort of stuff - those are rests that allow you to recover, and they affect the overall time.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:06 am

Joe Dwarf wrote:
daddy_runner wrote:The only times I turn off my timer during a training run are for potty breaks and red lights.
I don't turn off the timer for that sort of stuff - those are rests that allow you to recover, and they affect the overall time.

I have my Garmin set to "auto-pause" at lights - but, going back to my race analogy - you don't get to stop the clock at a porta-potty! ;)

I also consider it "time on my feet" (or my a$$ in the porta-potty example) and should really turn off the auto-pause feature!
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:09 am

Irongirl wrote:
Joe Dwarf wrote:

I have my Garmin set to "auto-pause" at lights - but, going back to my race analogy - you don't get to stop the clock at a porta-potty! ;)

I also consider it "time on my feet" (or my a$$ in the porta-potty example) and should really turn off the auto-pause feature!

No auto-pause for me. I don't stop my watch at lights or for water refills, even if I stop moving, because I figure all these things add into my total time for the run; my average pace will look faster than it really is if I stop the watch. I know there are no traffic lights in races, but I figure the rest I get from stopping helps my pace when I start up again. That said, I HATE stopping at lights and usually pick routes without a lot of stops-- or I jog down the block and back when the light is red. Yesterday my run included three stops for water which took about 30 sec each, and a few short lights.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:10 am

In the RR training schedule, they have both a continuous run pace and an adjusted run/walk (10:1) pace ... That is, for example a 1:50:xx half marathon ... 5:15mpk for continuous or 4:59mpk for run/walk ... if I recall correctly .. :think: :think: :think:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:15 am

Jwolf wrote:I know there are no traffic lights in races, but I figure the rest I get from stopping helps my pace when I start up again.
Igzackly.
That said, I HATE stopping at lights and usually pick routes without a lot of stops-- or I jog down the block and back when the light is red.
I rarely stop for red lights - I might pause looking for my shot, but as soon as I have a break in traffic I'm gone. Hate, hate, hate stopping.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:16 am

yes, count it. As Kiza said, it's the same distance regardless of whether you're walking or running.

I don't use auto-pause, and the only time I stop the timer is if I go in a building (to use a washroom or get a gatorade!). The clock doesn't stop for us in a race! :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Return to “Training ”