Hanson brothers' marathon plan

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

RobW
Bill Crothers

Re: Hanson brothers' marathon plan

Postby RobW » Tue May 28, 2013 12:14 pm

I followed the Hanson plan for my last marathon training cycle with good success. I started with their half program back in December to see if I could handle running 6 days/week and do 2 mid-week workouts per week. It took a few weeks to get used to running 6 days/week but it turned into a routine and the weeks flew by.

Once I got used to running 6 days/week, it almost felt like I wasn’t even training for a marathon without having to plan my weekend for a 30+ km run. The overall mileage was the most I have ever ran in one cycle but with the mileage spread out over the weeks, it was easily manageable and a lot more enjoyable for me.

End result was a 3 min PB in Vancouver followed by a 6:30 min PB 3 weeks later with a negative split. The latter was on a faster course and in better conditions but I also recovered really well after Vancouver which may have had something to do with the training. I will follow this plan again for my next marathon.

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Wed May 29, 2013 8:47 am

Great results guys!
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu May 30, 2013 10:14 am

RobW wrote:I followed the Hanson plan for my last marathon training cycle with good success. I started with their half program back in December to see if I could handle running 6 days/week and do 2 mid-week workouts per week. It took a few weeks to get used to running 6 days/week but it turned into a routine and the weeks flew by.

Once I got used to running 6 days/week, it almost felt like I wasn’t even training for a marathon without having to plan my weekend for a 30+ km run. The overall mileage was the most I have ever ran in one cycle but with the mileage spread out over the weeks, it was easily manageable and a lot more enjoyable for me.

End result was a 3 min PB in Vancouver followed by a 6:30 min PB 3 weeks later with a negative split. The latter was on a faster course and in better conditions but I also recovered really well after Vancouver which may have had something to do with the training. I will follow this plan again for my next marathon.

Nicely done. :) I was so impressed to see how well you did with this program. To think you used to not like running more than four days/week.

I think you will still be seeing the gains from this approach as you follow with another marathon training cycle toward a fall marathon (or two ;) ).
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Thu May 30, 2013 5:32 pm

RobW wrote:I followed the Hanson plan for my last marathon training cycle with good success. I started with their half program back in December to see if I could handle running 6 days/week and do 2 mid-week workouts per week. It took a few weeks to get used to running 6 days/week but it turned into a routine and the weeks flew by.

So that's, essentially, a 10 minute PB for you following the Hanson plan - awesome :). You and Erin would make good poster boys for its effectiveness! Nice to see all your hard work and consistency pay off!!!
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:29 am

I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

Return to “Training ”