From HR to time intervals

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

From HR to time intervals

Postby toobusy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:21 pm

So I have been doing all my running by heart rate. Run til I hit the max, walk until I hit the minimum. That has gotten me past my shinsplints and my initial interval has been increasing slowly before I have to walk. So far so good

Now I am planning on doing the Chilly Half and am not sure how to go about meeting a time goal.

Just train by HR and wing it on race day? Start doing 10:1 and ignore HR? Run by HR and ignore time goals?

Tapatalk

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: From HR to time intervals

Postby Jwolf » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:55 pm

What do you mean by HR max and min? Your actual HR max, or your maximum aerobic heart rate-- and how did you determine it?
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:45 pm

i had that lactate testing done. my running has beenin zone 1, between the heart rate of 140 and 170. so I run until i reach 170, then walk until i reach 140. what I am not sure of is how to apply it in a race. I was hoping to use a pace bunny with the goal of `just stay together`` to meet a time goal, but i couldnt do that unless I am doing the same kinda intervals that they are using ie 10:1

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:54 pm

That's a pretty high top for zone 1, but I will trust that those are the results you got.

For a race, you would ideally be training to run in a much higher HR, probably zone 3 (which is what peak centre calls it). So eventually you'd want to be training to go longer at the higher heart rates.

For example, you could do one run per week at a higher heart rate (tempo run or tempo intervals, in zone 3) but keep your long and easy runs in the lower zone.

Be aware that HR zones are a moving target, though. As your fitness changes, your zones change too. So you might be better off sticking to pace goals now.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:27 pm

Do you know what your lactate threshold HR is? You might want to do some runs where you push yourself to that HR, or do that as a portion of a run (say, middle 10-20 minutes).
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:31 pm

The other question I meant to ask was how long your runs are and what you have as a base. Assuming you need to build back to the half-marathon distance, your primary consideration should really be endurance. You say you've had issues with shin splints before-- the last thing you want to do is try to inject some intensity if you don't have to. Consistency and endurance will get you where you want to go while staying healthy. 8)

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:17 pm

which is one reason why I was worried about doing any zone 3 work. I guess I will just see how the runs go - 10k is my longest so far. Might be better to add hills instead of speed work

Blair
Percy Williams

Postby Blair » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:00 am

Hi toobusy,
I am wondering about the training technique of running until you hit the top end of the heart rate zone and then walking until recovered. For long distance running, it may be more effective to run at a slightly easier pace and reduce or even get rid of the walking breaks. I do believe running by heart rate is the best way to get the most out of one's training. Running too fast and getting out of the target zone may be counter-productive.
Blair
run on... and on... and on...

runningbetter.ca

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:29 am

i have been running slower pace, but I am a slow runner to begin with, so the only way to slow down to recover is to walk. I am trying to get rid of the walk breaks but my heart rate slowly creeps up and hits upper target.

Moot point now - I tried to do time intervals and triggered my shin/pf. I will just be sticking with the easy hr pace

Return to “Training ”