An intersting study

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

Dstew
Bill Crothers

An intersting study

Postby Dstew » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:31 am

That confirms what seems to make common sense but I am sure a number of paid coaches may not like.

http://www.acsm.org/about-acsm/media-ro ... ng_runners

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Re: An intersting study

Postby fingerboy » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:19 am

Run economy isn't what coaching is all about. It's more for programs and structuring increased mileage and intensity.

My criticism of the study.
1) 14 ppl is not significant.
2) This isn't a scientific study, where's the control group?
3) They're beginners - everyone improves over the first 3 months that's the key period where you learn how to do something.
4) Where's the results for the same group of people who trained with coaches?

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:33 pm

fingerboy wrote:Run economy isn't what coaching is all about. It's more for programs and structuring increased mileage and intensity.

My criticism of the study.
1) 14 ppl is not significant.
2) This isn't a scientific study, where's the control group?
3) They're beginners - everyone improves over the first 3 months that's the key period where you learn how to do something.
4) Where's the results for the same group of people who trained with coaches?

Agree with all your points...including your comment about the role of a coach.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:07 pm

I agree with the same sample size and very interested in the runner's reaction.

I am attempting to be more scientific and structured about my weight training. It is interesting that all of the expert advice is when starting off, here are some basics, a coach will help but is not necessary as a beginner almost any program will get your results. This study essentially had the same conclusion. I was involved in sports my entire life so I have never understood why "running" as per runners on the internet make it out to be some difficult and hard. At least at a beginner and very recreational level. There are a ton of internet advice and some very simple things such as do not run too fast and by that, one should be able to hold a conversation, etc. I suppose something with zero sports background might need a coach but others, I have my doubts. This is not to say coaches are of no value and may be required to get to the next step or over a hurtle but for a weekend warrior and middle of pack runner, a luxury in my opinion.

MichaelMc
Bill Crothers

Postby MichaelMc » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:42 pm

This took a study?

Seriously: take some people who haven't done something, have them do it for a while and SHOCK they become more efficient at it!!!!!!!

I would suspect any coach with a couple of IQ to rub together could predict that. People naturally become more efficient at almost everything they do when they practice. Feedback will naturally tend to lead you to an easier way to accomplish the same task, unless good form is well outside your experience. A great golf swing or a booming hockey wrist shot might require some coaching to "find", but running is more straight forward: practice might not make perfect, but it certainly makes "better".

Now if we compared the ongoing efficiency improvements over time coaching MIGHT prove beneficial to efficiency (even in studies), but I agree it isn't required. Coaching can provide people with training to optimize their improvement per time invested, for others it provides other benefits, but I doubt running efficiency is a primary driver for most. I don't think any non-competitive athlete NEEDS a coach, but many find they WANT one: to each their own.

Return to “Training ”