2012 - the year that was...

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:59 am

How about a summary of everyone's year in training. Running/Cycling/swimming/strength and other cross training activities.

This year was all about the marathon for me. Sadly neither result was fantastic, BUT I had a couple of fabulous training cycles! I'm actually thinking I may have overdone it in the last cycle, leading to maybe being a little pooped for the race.

In any case, it was a great running year.

Total: 3,910K, 2 Marathons, 2 Half Marathons, 1 30K, 1 10K - and blessedly healthy all year! :dance: :dance: I've also added a bit more cross training since my October marathon. I'm finding this a really nice change.

Next year will be a very big change of pace. Clinic instructing, potentially pacing, no marathon, so it will be different for sure!, but I'm really looking forward to it.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: 2012 - the year that was...

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:29 am

I can't really say that I trained for anything this year, though I half-heartedly trained for my trail race in August. My longest run this year was 29-ish km (I think) but my running has taken a back seat to everything else in my life.

I did go whitewater rafting, did via ferrata, and started more snowshoeing (I've already gone 4 times this year, which is more than all of last season). Also a few great hikes in the summer.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:38 am

2012 was QUITE A YEAR!! I turned 50, ran Boston on my 50th birthday, ran a 50 km race in June, and then a 50-mile race in October. There was obviously a lot of training, but what was new for me is that I let go of the "time goals"..... I trained hard, but I allowed for flexibility and shifting around of runs s life dictated.... truly enjoyed this year!

2013 will bring new challenges (100-miler), and perhaps something a little bigger ( :shock: ), but I hope the maintain the same training philosophy!! Oh, and there will be lots of cycling (a promise to DH), and lots of swimming (a promise to ME!!) :D
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:27 pm

Like ultraslacker I don’t really train. When a shorter race is coming up I will do a bit of speed work or if I am going long I will throw in some extra LSDs. What I have done for the past few years is to average 300k/month and that more or less allows me to do whatever I want whenever I want … it works for me.

2012 "races" were similar to previous years , highlights included running the Paris Marathon http://youtu.be/etdTzL8KOnE and 48 Hours at the Dirty Girls http://youtu.be/PPCXpv5I3sk I also had some magical runs with friends http://youtu.be/BNwaO0WEGnE . In total I did a 10K, 21.1K, 30K, 42.2K, 9 X 50K, 2 X 80K and one 160K races.

2013 will more or less be the same as 2012. I haven’t determined what big city 42.2 I will do but I am leaning towards a U.S. destination. The majority of the trail stuff will be following the OUS circuit http://www.ouser.org/.

See you out there!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:52 pm

This was a difficult, challenging year for me for running. I did have some decent training and races in the winter and spring, but then got injured in June. Since then I've navigated a rocky recovery course with many ups and downs. I am pretty sure I'm on the way back up now, and I hope I can take what I've learned from this year into healthier, more balanced running in the future.

I plan to learn from the mistakes and experiences of 2012 as I head into a more promising 2013. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

grimskot
Bill Crothers

Postby grimskot » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:01 pm

A good year of running, with a nice mix of races both old:
  • Brita Resolution Run 5K
  • Manitoba Marathon
  • River Run At Forks 10K
  • Run for Diabetes 10K
  • Winnipeg Ten&Ten Road Race (10mi)
... and new (for me, anyway):
  • Grand Beach Sun Run 10K
  • Dirty Donkey Mud Run 5K adventure race
  • Fort Whyte Alive Twilight Run 10K
  • Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service Half Marathon
One thing I missed: Try-a-Trail series out at Birds Hill Park. Gotta love getting off the pavement &into the green. :-)

Garmin log says 1733 km of running this year, plus 650 km of cycling. Icing on the cake: finishing out the year without injuries. Here's hoping that continues, eh? :wink:
Plan for 2016:
Jun 25: St. Malo Triathlon - Sprint - done
Jul 16: Morden Triathlon - Sprint - done

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:56 pm

2012 was either the beginning of the end of my running hobby or the end of the beginning. Despite reduced mileage throughout, I still came down with about five new injuries. I did manage to have a fulfilling, if not overly fast, few months of racing late in the year, and have used running as a way to explore my interim surroundings and connect with new people.

KenJ
Percy Williams

Postby KenJ » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:00 pm

I had a pretty good running year in 2012, some highlights:

1) Achieved 3 new personal bests in the 5K(22:53), Sporting LIfe 10K(45:35) and the Scotiabank Waterfront Half Marathon (1:47:37).

2) Blew way past my original year goal of 1200 km to finish 2012 at 1732km.

3) Ran a couple of fun 5K runs this year with my daughter including the inaugural Monster Dash Halloween run in the dark that was great fun.

4) While on vacation in Rome had an awesome 7 am Sun run through cobble stone streets, past the Spanish steps, through numerous back streets and piazzas, along the river right up to the doors of St. Peters in Vatican city, past the Trevi fountain and more. A beautiful run in a beautiful city.

5) Stayed healthy and injury free. :D

Wishing everyone a happy healthy injury free 2013.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:24 pm

Just copying this from my running journal.

Another great year of running. Finished off the year with 3045k. I was a bit short of my goal this year, and that was to better my 2011 total, but oh well, that's how it is sometimes.
I was able to race a half-marathon in Houston with Spirit April 1. I came in 3rd Master women and won $40.00 US.
I went back to Vancouver in May for the marathon. Although I didn't do as we'll as I had hoped I still had a fabulous time with some special Maniacs. I also had a nice time getting to know a couple of paramedics.
I ran Manitoba half-marathon and had a course personal best. It was my 9th time doing that half and probably my last as my parents have moved from Winnipeg. Manitoba Marathon will always be special to me as it was my first half (1990) and first full (1994).
I also ran a local (by local I mean 180k away) half-marathon that had lots of hills that kinda beat me up. Food and medal were worth it though.
This was twice as many races as the year before. Anyone who follows my journal knows that I don't run to race, I run for the sake of running.
I'm not sure what 2013 will bring as there are going to be some major changes happening in our family life. I do hope I can run injury free, happy and lots.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

MichaelMc
Bill Crothers

Postby MichaelMc » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:35 pm

My 2012 was all about getting back into shape. I ran two "races": Kananaskis K-100 relay and Sinister Seven Adventure races (relay leg), both went ok considering 18 months off any training.

Mileage was 4152km: 1674km in the first six months as I built my base back and 2478km in the second six months. The 2nd half is typical "off season" running mileage for me, and I'm happy to report I'm 100% healthy and in reasonable shape to train for something.

Hopefully I'll have some actual races to guage my progress this year!

Happy New Year to all!

Michael

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:36 pm

Last run of 2012 turns out to be last Saturday with Marg and Carm ... Year started strong with my 4th Goofy Challenge and ended with a whimper with almost 2 months off from running due to my injury, though allowed me to get back into cycling, albeit indoors on the computrainer, as well as resistance training and hope that it will actually make me stronger as I resume my running regularly again in 2013 ..

Final running stats for 2012:

Runs: 251
Time: 281:38:xx
Distance: 2,943K
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

jamix
Bill Crothers

Postby jamix » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:10 pm

2012 was the year I set new 10 and 5km pb's, beating performances that were set over 10 years ago during my teenage years. I don't think I ran noticably more mileage than previous running seasons. I did do more training overall with my triathlon training though.

I just hope 2012 isn't an isolated period and I can keep the sub - 18/37 min 5 and 10km's coming in 2013 too 8) .
2013 GOALS:

- Compete in the "Early Bird Sprint Triathlon" in May
- Run a 5km pb during the "Bushtukah Canada Day Road Race"
- Complete an Olympic distance triathlon
- Cycle > 33 km / hr during the cycle portion of a Sprint Triathlon.
- Stay healthy and happy

Races

April 28th: Manotick 10km (40:16)
May 18th: Ottawa Early Bird Sprint Triathlon (DNF)
June 8th: Riverkeeper SuperSprint (2nd overall)
July 1st: Bushtukah Canada Day 5km (18:37)

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:28 pm

2012 didn't start in a stellar way for me- struggled with hip flexor and Achilles issues for the first third of the year. I finally got into some decent training around June/ July, but didn't do much racing till the fall. Had a couple of wins in local races (10k road and 8 mile road/trail). The highlight of my racing this year was the Philadelphia Marathon- I finally had a marathon that I felt that I ran well. I had a 9 min PB, 2 min negative split, and got my BQ.

My main focus for 2013 is to continue to build base. Rather than focus on 1 or 2 goal races I'm going to try to keep my options open and focus everything on preparing for Boston in 2014.
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

ratherawkward
Bruce Kidd

Postby ratherawkward » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:14 pm

2012 was my first full year of running (started in Aug 2011), so it was a BIG year for me. At the beginning of the year, 10k was a huge challenge; by the end of the year I'd run two half-marathons, four 10ks and one 5k, and my Christmas gift to myself was signing up for my first full marathon (STWM in October). I've had times in the year when life got in the way and realized how much better I feel when I'm running regularly, and I've had times where it all came together and I got to see training paying off on race day. I've rediscovered my city in a whole new way by exploring it on long runs, and I've gotten to see some of my cousins a lot more often since we run into each other at races. Definitely a good year!
PR's so far: 5K 27:15, 10K 55:25, 21.1K 2:10:53, 42.2K 5:21:27
Upcoming: Toronto Women's 5k in May, STWM Half in October

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Postby marymac442 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:50 pm

I had a pretty consistent year for 2012 even with a bit of struggling with a niggly achilles.

I ran 1718 km in 191 runs, ran 3 half marathons, a couple of 10 km, a wine half marathon and Nike Women's Full. The shorter races/runs were all pretty much run with no PB expectations so no big pressure. NW was a PB by 40 seconds or so which was good for a hilly route. I finished feeling happy which was great.
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:26 pm

2012 was a great year for me running-wise. I ran 2721 km - a highest total ever. I set PBs at every distance I ran - the marathon (3:49), 30 km (2:35), half (1:43), 10 km (44:XX) and 5 km (21:53). More importantly, I had some great runs with friends and family, and enjoyed starting most days of the year with a few kilometres under my belt. If I can continue that pattern, I'll be more than happy with 2013, regardless of what happens at the races.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

kab
Bruce Kidd

Postby kab » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:35 pm

I had a good year:
5 x half marathons
2 x 10 milers
1 x 5 miler
5 x 5 k's
Volunteered twice
I did place in my age category in the Winnipeg 10+10 and got a "special" medal for the first time ever
My times were slower than normal in the first part of the year as I struggled with low iron and anemia but i was able to fix that problem and improved greatly by the end of the summer. I did not have any real running injuries other than some black toenails. I did learn that 3 half marathons in 9 weeks is too much for me! A real highlight for me was seeing my daughter through her first half. I am very proud of her.
Oct 26, 2014 Vancouver Rock and Roll Half
Feb 22, 2015 Hypothermic half wave 1

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Postby NewFinnLoper » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:46 pm

2012 was my worst year ever since I started running. :( I’ve been plagued with injuries that kept me from running. Each time I came back something else would “break” (not literally) and I’d have to take time to heal. It was also the year I DNF’d my very first race ever.

I only completed two events during the year: the Ice Donkey Adventure Race and the Swamp Donkey Adventure Race (and was only able to do these because the majority of the disciplines weren’t running related.)

*sigh*…Hoping for better things in 2013…
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:48 am

2012 was a great year of running for me.

I ran (?) the Boston Marathon, and then three weeks later PB'd in Mississauga and requalified for 2013. I ran with my daughter in her first 5K in June and she ran it in 31:53 (just before her 9th birthday). I ran a 5K PB in August (my first sub 25:00), a PB in the 1/2 in November (first sub 1:50), ran fall marathon and qualified for 2014 Boston, and finished 5th position in Road Warrior points and received a lot of great free stuff as a result.

Looking forward to 2013. I was going to run my first 50K this spring but have opted to assist Sylvie in her quest to her first 100 miler instead and can't be more excited about it! .

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:22 pm

2012, for me, was the first year since 1999 that I didn't participate in a single race.
(I did do a leg of the Race to the Sea Relay in Newfoundland, but it wasn't a "race" per se, and I was certainly in no shape to make it one!)

I still ran 1-4 times a week, played ultimate 1 or 2 times a week, did the Grind once a week all summer, and did a few other random snowshoes, hikes.

But, since I wasn't specifically training (though I did do some speed work with a couple of friends early in the year, until my back went off on me), I kept taking it really easy and I got slower. I aim to find a goal or 2 for 2013, so I can find Fast Heather again. I might even start posting here a bit more again.

ETA: My total KMs for the past few years are:
2009 - 2210
2010 - 1759
2011 - 1307
2012 - 1240

Definitely time to reverse that trend before it goes too far!
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:48 pm

2012 for me was about learning to swim better, getting reacquainted with my bikes, and maintaining (neither improving nor getting worse) on the run.

I was surprised to learn, when I opened my log for the year, that I'd raced thirteen times last year. Five triathlons, five halfs, 5k, 10k, 5 mile.

If two races hadn't been cancelled, and I hadn't bailed on two others because of work, it would have been a seventeen race year.

The highlights of the year:

1. Taking my kids to their first race (400m for the 4 year old, 800m for the 6 year old) in July
2. Starting to feel like a not-faker at multisport
3. Running with my kids in the double stroller at the run for the cure
4. Running with Stampie at Melissa's
5. Running High River with Hammie on Canada Day
6. Trailrunning with Bruyere in June, trying desperately not to throw up from my epic gin hangover
7. Finishing the Bragg Creek trail duathlon with VDot while covered in blood
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:56 pm

turd ferguson wrote:2012 for me was about learning to swim better, getting reacquainted with my bikes, and maintaining (neither improving nor getting worse) on the run.

I was surprised to learn, when I opened my log for the year, that I'd raced thirteen times last year. Five triathlons, five halfs, 5k, 10k, 5 mile.

If two races hadn't been cancelled, and I hadn't bailed on two others because of work, it would have been a seventeen race year.

The highlights of the year:

1. Taking my kids to their first race (400m for the 4 year old, 800m for the 6 year old) in July
2. Starting to feel like a not-faker at multisport
3. Running with my kids in the double stroller at the run for the cure
4. Running with Stampie at Melissa's
5. Running High River with Hammie on Canada Day
6. Trailrunning with Bruyere in June, trying desperately not to throw up from my epic gin hangover
7. Finishing the Bragg Creek trail duathlon with VDot while covered in blood

Good year for you! I'd forgotten about the hangover. :)
The year before was 2-footed puddle jumping as you marveled over how dark the woods were.
I guess we're due for another outing this year!
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

Pat29
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat29 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:13 pm

In the first half of the year I set PBs in the half (1:29) and the marathon (3:17). I also ran two 10 km races as part of my training for the marathon.

In the second half of the year I ran a 10 mile race then sprained my ankle 4 weeks before Toronto Waterfront which cut into my training and caused me to miss out on pacing the Army Run.

Overall my mileage was 2962 km, down a bit from last year as a result of the ankle injury in September.
[b]2016 Races:[b]

January - Richmond Road Races 10 km 41:06
March - St Patrick's Day 10 km 41:31
April - Minto Run for Reach half-marathon 1:28:56
May - Sporting Life 10 km - 41:10
May - Ottawa Marathon - 3:26:37
September - Army Run

My running blog: http://www.thecourageoflungs.com

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:17 pm

In 2012, I:
...ran. Not ran more or ran faster.

...finally found some running shoes that don't hurt.

...ran my first 10k. Then ran my second.

...met my first few Maniacs in person, Yea!

...got more than one injury from overdoing it.

...decided not to overdo it anymore.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:11 am

2012 was a good year of racing with PBs in the 10, 21.1, 30, and 42.2. The only organized 5k I've done was the resolution run back in Jan/12. I also managed to log more kms in 2012 than the year before. Highlight of the year was getting a new career-advancing job making running and everything else in life much more enjoyable! I remember the day I hit rock bottom at my old job since it happened so close to the Victoria marathon in 2010. It lead to depression but I'm so much happier now which is one of the reasons I went back to Victoria in 2012. A great year overall.

Return to “Training ”