New indoor track facility in Toronto (east end)

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:54 am

Not sure if others know about this yet: http://www.monarchparkstadium.com/rates/

Monarch Park (Coxwell south of Danforth) has a new year-round track.
The track is the longest indoor track in Toronto. The track is 370.67 meters long and it is marked (and measured) for the following distances (60m, 100m, 150m, 200m, 400m, 600m, 800m, 1,000m, 1,500m, 1 mile, 2,000m, 3,000m, 5,000m, 10,000m).

It's covered by a dome in the winter. It's $8 for a day pass (including showers and change rooms), $55/month, or $255 for a season's pass.

There's also a pool (in the school attached) and spin bikes for triathlon training.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

ratherawkward
Bruce Kidd

Re: New indoor track facility in Toronto (east end)

Postby ratherawkward » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:08 pm

Interesting... we live just around the corner. I'm not much of a track person but depending how icy the winter gets, I might consider it.
PR's so far: 5K 27:15, 10K 55:25, 21.1K 2:10:53, 42.2K 5:21:27
Upcoming: Toronto Women's 5k in May, STWM Half in October

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:09 pm

I think our RC is going there a couple times a month. However it's only 370.67m long.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:17 pm

True, but it's marked for 100/200/400/800/1500. I guess they have separate start lines marked. It's been completely resurfaced too. This may get me to pull my spikes back out, but I'd want to do a few workouts on Lakeshore or the TM first so I won't be paying for an absolutely abysmal workout!! I can only imagine how awful my first speed workout of 2013 will feel... it has been SOOOO long.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:13 am

I have a HS track beside my condo that's the same length. Trust me, it gets annoying. Psychologically at least, when you've run your 4 laps, who wants to run an extra 130m etc.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:27 am

fingerboy wrote:I have a HS track beside my condo that's the same length. Trust me, it gets annoying. Psychologically at least, when you've run your 4 laps, who wants to run an extra 130m etc.

Psychologically a track is annoying anyway- it's good mental training. And not many indoor tracks aren bigger than 200m.

I'd be excited about a good indoor facility around here - we have none in vancouver (although a nice one in Richmond which I have yet to try).
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:42 am

fingerboy wrote:I have a HS track beside my condo that's the same length. Trust me, it gets annoying. Psychologically at least, when you've run your 4 laps, who wants to run an extra 130m etc.

Really!?? I guess I figured the track at Monarch was that distance because that's the absolute biggest they could make it (the lot is quite small and the field is bordered by the school, Coxwell Ave, train tracks, and houses). This still seems like the reason, because it seems like if they could've made it 400m when they redid it, they would have. Maybe not though, if there is another track with that measurement. 30m also seems like a pretty small amount of distance to squeeze in... make the bleachers a bit smaller, or make it closer to the school... maybe there was a ton of red tape that we don't know about that limited them. Otherwise, what could possibly be the reasoning behind making a track that distance?
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:31 pm

Also can't you run in one of the middle or outer lanes to make it 400m?
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:57 pm

The original outdoor HS track there was 400 yards in the inner lane. I guess they just kept it the same.
Jwolf wrote:Also can't you run in one of the middle or outer lanes to make it 400m?

I would think so.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:09 pm

Jwolf wrote:Also can't you run in one of the middle or outer lanes to make it 400m?

This. Assuming a lane width of 1.2m, each additional lane adds an extra 2*pi*(1.2m)=7.5m, therefore lane 5 of a 370m track should be right around 400m.

Another option is to run the speedwork by PE for a set time. This is especially useful on shorter tracks where it is a good idea to slow down through the corners (to take some pressure off the knees and hips) and then surge on the straightaways. For winter speedwork, most people are unlikely to be so close to top shape that they either know or need to be hitting very specific interval times.

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:45 pm

The track doesn't appear to have more than about 3.5 lanes judging by the pictures. :)
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

Return to “Training ”