Stretching- good or bad?

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Stretching- good or bad?

Postby Jwolf » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:12 pm

I've seen this article before, and it has recently been going around the social media feeds.

http://sock-doc.com/2011/04/stop-stretching/

Basic summary- stretching is mostly dangerous and contributes to injury. Stretching weakens muscles, and doesn't increase flexibility. Flexibility comes from fitness, not stretching. If you have tight muscles or limited range of motion, this is a neuromuscular problem that must be solved in other ways, not stretching.

He cites some studies and evidence, be many people have shot it down as pseudoscience or simply misinformation.

I've always thought that stretching can be bad if you overdo it, but when done properly in a way that releases tightness, it can be beneficial.

Thoughts?
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Re: Stretching- good or bad?

Postby purdy65 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:18 pm

I agree with you Jen. I stretch, but gently. I feel, overall, so much better after a run, and I don't get injured - so I guess I'm an experiment of 1, but still - I do what works for me.

Funny - I had one speaker at my clinic talking about strength and stretching and he basically said the same thing - stretching is not necessarily good. That did not bode well for the speaker I had booked for the following week to talk about stretching! :lol: :lol:

Whatever works for you. I'm old, I run a lot, I need to stretch, but I agree that one really has to be careful of over stretching.

BUT! Simon Whitfield said in a talk at CanFitPro last year that he NEVER stretches.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:56 pm

I used to stretch religiously after every run.

Then I randomly stopped. Now I only stretch if something in particular is bothering me.

I have experienced no difference in how I feel, or in injuries, since I stopped stretching.

But that's just me. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:57 pm

Not all stretching is the same. I just read an article this week (though I can't find it now - thought it was Alex Hutchinson, but not sure) about how pre-run stretching is not only useless, but actually BAD for performance. It didn't talk about whether post-run stretching was good or helped prevent injuries.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:34 pm

I only EVER do post-run stretching.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:12 pm

La wrote:Not all stretching is the same. I just read an article this week (though I can't find it now - thought it was Alex Hutchinson, but not sure) about how pre-run stretching is not only useless, but actually BAD for performance. It didn't talk about whether post-run stretching was good or helped prevent injuries.

I didn't see that particular article, but have read about the issues with pre-run stretching a few times over the last few years. Apparently, those who stretch - specifically passive stretching - have more injuries than those who don't stretch at all or those who stretch only after running.

I don't know whether or not it helps me, but everything just feels better if I stretch afterward. As long as it's not hurting me, I see no reason to stop.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:15 pm

I'm curious about what people think about the points he makes in the article. Is there any validity to his argument that stretching actually weakens muscles? He kind of lost me when he argued that tight muscles originate in the diet.

I think there's some validity to some of what he says-- like the rebound response when you stretch one area, and how there are better ways to release the tightness.

The clinic I'm running with still does pre-run stretching. This surprised me. We stretch after a short walking warmup, and its mostly dynamic stretching, but I still think it's a waste of time. I don't really like the stretching routine we do afterwards, either.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:22 pm

I have no cites to back this up, but I was told that static stretching causes micro-tears in the muscle, which are then exacerbated by running, which is why you should stretch post-run. Ever since then I have just launched straight into my run, and stretched lightly afterwards.

At the very least IMHO you should warm up before stretching.

You ever see a lion limber up before it takes down a gazelle?

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:54 pm

It is a very brief routine but a lion always limbers up before hunting. Some deep breathing exercises and a light stretch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zLicq7LkBc
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:26 pm

Pat Menzies wrote:It is a very brief routine but a lion always limbers up before hunting. Some deep breathing exercises and a light stretch.

A big cat that starts her day with a Downward Dog.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:30 pm

Pat Menzies wrote:It is a very brief routine but a lion always limbers up before hunting. Some deep breathing exercises and a light stretch.

Pretty much what my dog C-Moss does in the morning before I take her out for a walk :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:09 pm

Every animal that makes its living by running does that one basic stretch. It's when people and animals get all '"tame" that they start thinking they have to spend large amounts of time contorting themselves.
Like this guy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlmonzHPSz8
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Stretching- good or bad?

Postby Samantha » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:35 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:

Pretty much what my dog C-Moss does in the morning before I take her out for a walk :D

My cat does that stretch every time she gets up. And being a cat she sleeps a lot. She's almost 19 and she is very limber for her age. ;)

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Stretching- good or bad?

Postby Joe Dwarf » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:03 pm

I got serious replies to that? Nobody likes the movies?

Rule #1: cardio!

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:04 pm

I've been more of a convert to stretching more recently. I found that my newer level of speed has to do with how loose my hips are and how much movement Ive got. Yes you can strengthen legs etc, but stretching (at least actively) has helped keep them loose and my speed up.

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:16 pm

Joe Dwarf wrote:I got serious replies to that? Nobody likes the movies?

I did get the reference. I was just pointing out that the bare minimum seems to go a long way when it really matters.

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Postby marymac442 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:04 pm

Jwolf wrote:I'm curious about what people think about the points he makes in the article. Is there any validity to his argument that stretching actually weakens muscles? He kind of lost me when he argued that tight muscles originate in the diet.

I think there's some validity to some of what he says-- like the rebound response when you stretch one area, and how there are better ways to release the tightness.

The clinic I'm running with still does pre-run stretching. This surprised me. We stretch after a short walking warmup, and its mostly dynamic stretching, but I still think it's a waste of time. I don't really like the stretching routine we do afterwards, either.

I wouldn't call B's cardio bootcamp stretching - it is supposed to be a dynamic warm up but it is definitely something we only do with B. The post work out stretch is pretty much what I do after any run (though I tend to be a lot less structured).
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:23 pm

Joe Dwarf wrote:I got serious replies to that? Nobody likes the movies?

Rule #2 double tap

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:04 am

Jwolf wrote:I'm curious about what people think about the points he makes in the article. Is there any validity to his argument that stretching actually weakens muscles?

I haven't heard that. I did read that pre-run stretching loosens the leg joints, allowing more sideways movement in them, which can lead to more injuries. Also that, at least with respect to running, it's best to have tighter leg muscles because they react more like a spring, producing a better transfer of energy. Once again, this is in relation to static stretching. Most sources I've read recommend a dynamic warm-up.

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:21 pm

I speak from personal experience only. If I don't do any stretching after running or other vigorous exercise, I'll regret it later that day and the next. I will be more sore and stiff than if I did stretch. I'm very prone to all sorts of injuries related to tightness, and stretching does help keep me in that zone of non-injury. These are stretches that are specific to my needs, taught to me by a physio. Before a run, I do more of a light "loosening up" (leg swings, for instance) rather than stretching.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

NMG
Bill Crothers

Postby NMG » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:35 pm

The only time I stretch before a run is if my muscles are tight. Usually they aren't so I just go. I will stretch after a run though and I find that if I don't, there is a 50/50 chance I'll be much stiffer the next day. Not scientific at all, but that's my experience.

MarkPoppen
Percy Williams

Postby MarkPoppen » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:50 pm

I lightly stretch my calves before my run and quads after. It's more a habit that I got into from playing basketball. I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't feel a difference if I stopped stretching..
Perseverance: What the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve.
My Runkeeper profile.

Return to “Training ”