Training for Multiple Events over Summer

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

grimskot
Bill Crothers

Training for Multiple Events over Summer

Postby grimskot » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:28 pm

Hi, all. Time to pick the brains of the smart &experienced folks here at RM. [Nothing like buttering you up to start :D ]

Last few summers, I've trained for several races over the summer, usually finishing with a half marathon or similar in the fall. To do so, I've usually laid a half marathon plan over the summer, then tweaked individual weeks or runs to accomodate a race in that week.

This year is no exception. I've registered for 5 races: 6K, 14K, 10K, 22K and 6hr, in that order, between July and October. Based on previous experience, I'm thinking of laying a full marathon plan over the summer. But my question is, is there a better way?

I'm guessing that the likely answer would be: it depends. :) If so, then here are a few other factors I'm considering:
  • 6hr: 6 hours is just wee bit longer than my marathon PB. Goal: go as far past 42.2K as I can in the time limit.
  • 10K: falls midweek, approximately on a day I have a 10K tempo run scheduled. Goal: go wee bit faster than tempo, but not necessarily shoot for 10K PB.
  • 6K, 14K: haven't done these races in 2 years. Goal: see how close I can come to my PBs for those races.
  • 22K: haven't done this race in 2 years either. It's scheduled 4 weeks before the 6hr race. Goal: practice 6hr race goal pace, and not shoot for PB.
  • all above goals would be for ideal world. That is, if I could have everything, that's what I'd shoot for. Giving up some goals to better prepare for others would be OK. That said, 6hr goal is the one I have my heart most set on.

Thoughts &advice?
Plan for 2016:
Jun 25: St. Malo Triathlon - Sprint - done
Jul 16: Morden Triathlon - Sprint - done

ian
Jerome Drayton

Re: Training for Multiple Events over Summer

Postby ian » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:51 pm

You'll be fine; it's a lot easier to stay in racing shape than it is to get there in the first place. The shorter races will simply replace a speedwork session, and consider adding an extra rest day on each side of them for refresh & recovery. Also, keep your long runs a week away from the races, even if that means skipping a few. Good luck.

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:02 pm

Ian's advice is perfect -- exactly what I would have suggested. The only thing I would add is "be sure to have fun" :D
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

grimskot
Bill Crothers

Postby grimskot » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:36 pm

Thanks for the advice. Sorry it took so to follow up. Didn't get a chance to work on my training plan until today. I did end up removing several of the longer long runs, since they fell on a race day or day after a race day. It's more difficult to use a race as speedwork and move the long run to midweek, because it takes me hours to complete a good long run. But maybe I can fit in the mileage if I split the desired long run into a morning run and an evening run. I'll take a second pass at the plan and see what I can safely fit in.

And yes, orleansrunner, I am going to have fun and enjoy the races. :) Try a Trail Series are some of my favourite trails to run.
Plan for 2016:
Jun 25: St. Malo Triathlon - Sprint - done
Jul 16: Morden Triathlon - Sprint - done

Return to “Training ”