Virtual Workout--THURSDAYS....

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Virtual Workout--THURSDAYS....

Postby Jwolf » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:03 pm

Ok that was an awesome workout. I guess I won't say what paces I did only that I followed the recommendations relevant to my ability. You can always check one of my logs (either here or garmin connect).

And the faster minutes really did make the miles feel easier.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:35 pm

I don`t think anyone is saying we need to stop posting paces. I like seeing them because it gives me a sense of where I should be working, since I know how fast other people are relative to me (e.g. oh, i shouldn`t be sandbagging this workout so much - I can push myself harder if I try!).

RE - scaling the workouts. Just slowing down to your pace isn`t always appropriate because if someone is running say 3 x 5 km per week (which is awesome!) one 45 minute workout with 35 minutes of hard running is probably too much hard running, even if the *hard* is relative to their own fitness. So cutting down the number or length of the repeats would still be important.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:57 pm

scrumhalfgirl wrote:I don`t think anyone is saying we need to stop posting paces. I like seeing them because it gives me a sense of where I should be working, since I know how fast other people are relative to me (e.g. oh, i shouldn`t be sandbagging this workout so much - I can push myself harder if I try!).

RE - scaling the workouts. Just slowing down to your pace isn`t always appropriate because if someone is running say 3 x 5 km per week (which is awesome!) one 45 minute workout with 35 minutes of hard running is probably too much hard running, even if the *hard* is relative to their own fitness. So cutting down the number or length of the repeats would still be important.

Yes this. :) exactly.

Anyway I agree with you about the pace- I like to look at others because it helps me figure out what's good for me. Sorry if my above post sounded passive aggressive- I didn't mean it to but it sounds it when I read it. :oops:

So... My paces were:

2 mile warmup (5.7 and 6.0 mph)
1 mile @ 7.0 mph (5:20/km)
1 minute @ 7.5 mph (4:58/km)
1 mile @ 7.1-7.2 mph (5:12/km)
1 minute @ 7.6 mph (4:54/km)
1 mile @ 7.3 mph (5:06/km)
1 minute @7.8 mph (4:46/km)
1 minute walk
1 mile easy 6.2 mph

Total = 6.5 miles in 1 hour
Workout = 3.42 miles in 28:20 (equates to 5:09/km)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:51 pm

Yall's paces impress the pants off me. I vote you keep posting them

otoh, I'm not fast and shouldn't even try. These workouts are for people who want to be way faster than I am. Running intervals slowly makes no sense.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:10 pm

I like knowing people's paces, too. As scrummy said, it helps give me perspective on the paces I should be doing my workouts at because I know which people are closer/farther from my pace/ability (though right now, pretty much everyone posting here is faster than I am :lol:).

Sometimes I have to read a posted workout a few times (and read what other people are saying about it), before I "get" it, and have a idea at which pace I should be (am capable of) doing it. And I think it's totally =)) how scrummy keeps misunderstanding it and just does her own thing. ;)

I know this was started by a couple of people who were looking to motivate each other to get their weekly speed/interval work in, so thanks for sharing with the rest of us so that we can play along, too. I know that I'd have been highly unlikely to do this on my own.

If someone reading the posted workout feels like it would be too much for them to do (as I have in the past), then I hope whoever posted the workout would be open to questions as to how it could be modified to suit someone's capability. If I were to ask that, I would certainly not be saying it as a criticism of the workout, so if it came across that way, I apologize.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:12 pm

Spirit wrote:Yall's paces impress the pants off me. I vote you keep posting them

otoh, I'm not fast and shouldn't even try. These workouts are for people who want to be way faster than I am. Running intervals slowly makes no sense.

I think they're worth doing if you want to be faster than you are. :) But not everyone wants to be, and that's totally fine. I also think varying the pace and the workout makes the time on the TM go by faster, even if your're not running all that fast. ;)

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:14 pm

La wrote:
Spirit wrote:Yall's paces impress the pants off me. I vote you keep posting them

I think they're worth doing if you want to be faster than you are. :) But not everyone wants to be, and that's totally fine. I also think varying the pace and the workout makes the time on the TM go by faster, even if your're not running all that fast. ;)

You didn't tease me about saying, "Yall." :lol:

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:59 pm

Jwolf wrote:Ok that was an awesome workout. I guess I won't say what paces I did only that I followed the recommendations relevant to my ability. You can always check one of my logs (either here or garmin connect).

And the faster minutes really did make the miles feel easier.

I knew you'd like this one! I got mine done today, too - pushed the pace & stretched further beyond my comfort zone than I have in a bit. But I loved every minute. Tough runs give me energy & make me feel young & strong (at 43)!!! The miles were @ 8.8, 8.8, 8.9 w/ minutes @ 9.4, 9.4, 9.5. WU @ 7.0 & CD @ 7.5 for 7 miles in 52:56 (for anyone who likes the stats).

I like the discussion this little run has sparked. It's important to talk about why & how we run & acknowledge (and respect) that we all come to this with varying perspectives & objectives.

Spirit: I've become obsessed w/ Friday Night Lights (set in small-town Texas). When I say my words in my head these days, I have a Texan accent - ha, ha.

One thing I love about RM is its inclusiveness. Y'all are awesome :).
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:07 pm

alexk wrote: But I loved every minute. Tough runs give me energy & make me feel young & strong (at 43)!!!

You are young and strong. :)

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:11 pm

Spirit wrote:
La wrote:

Have you developed a Texas accent since you've lived there? I would have expected you to say "All y'all are faster than I am." :lol:

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:48 pm

La wrote:
Spirit wrote:
La wrote:

Have you developed a Texas accent since you've lived there? I would have expected you to say "All y'all are faster than I am." :lol:

I'm pretty sure I talk funny.

We just say "Yalls" not "All Yall"

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:45 pm

Never heard "all y'all" in the years I lived in Texas. Only "y'all". :)

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:48 am

Jwolf wrote:Never heard "all y'all" in the years I lived in Texas. Only "y'all". :)

It's the plural of y'all. ;) Or so Dr. Phil says. :lol:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:08 am

La wrote:
Jwolf wrote:Never heard "all y'all" in the years I lived in Texas. Only "y'all". :)

It's the plural of y'all. ;) Or so Dr. Phil says. :lol:

I've never listened to Dr Phil but he might be the only one who says that. :)

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:39 am

Who wants to post a workout this week? If you do, let Jenn. Colleen or myself know today. If none of us hear anything, then I'll post one tonight.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:21 pm

Habs4ever wrote:Who wants to post a workout this week? If you do, let Jenn. Colleen or myself know today. If none of us hear anything, then I'll post one tonight.

Habs,

I think I have a pretty interesting one! Should I share?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:52 pm

purdy65 wrote:
Habs4ever wrote:Who wants to post a workout this week? If you do, let Jenn. Colleen or myself know today. If none of us hear anything, then I'll post one tonight.

Habs,

I think I have a pretty interesting one! Should I share?

Absolutely.
You're up this week then, thank you!

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:11 pm

OK,

Here goes.

This is a boredom buster:

Warm up - for whatever is right for you.

Start off at an easy pace that is faster than your warm up.

Increase your speed every 2 minutes - the amount you increase your speed is where you can make your adjustments for fitness.

.1 mph, or .2 mph etc - whatever suits your fitness

As you increase your speed, toggle your elevation between 1 and 2%.

Just as an example (pay no attention to the paces - just the timing)

1-2 min - 6.7mph -2% elevation
2-4 min - 6.9mph - 1% elevation
4-6min - 7.0mph - 2% elevation
6-8 min 7.2 mph - 1% elevation
8-10 min 7.4mph - 2% elevation
10-12 min 7.5mph - 1% elevation
12-14 min 7.6 mph - 2% elevation
14-16 min 7.7 mph 1% elevation
16-18 min 7.8mph 2% elevation
18-20 min 8.0 mph @ 1% elevation
20-22 min 8.2 mph @ 0% elevation
22-23 min 8.4 mph @ 0% elevation (only 1 minute!)
23-25 8.5 mph @0% elevation

Cool down

So there are many opportunities to adapt to fitness - the elevation, or instead of .2-.3 increments in increase speed only .1. You can also start off a bit slower as well - you can start off the first increment at far less than half marathon pace. I would even start it at lower than my marathon pace.

It's a 25 minute workout (add 10 min warm up and 10 minute cool down - for 45 minutes) - but if you want to make it longer or even more challenging, increase the time at each increment.

Would love feedback!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:20 pm

There is so much button pushing that no one will realize they are working hard. I think this will help the time to fly by.
Thanks Lisa.

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:33 pm

Habs4ever wrote:There is so much button pushing that no one will realize they are working hard. I think this will help the time to fly by.
Thanks Lisa.

I like the look of this one too! Adding the incline adds an extra challenge for me since I usually leave it at 0%.

Isn't this what they call the "boiling frog" workout?

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:32 pm

ok, so gradually get faster while going back and forth between 1 and 2% every two minutes? i think there's enough flexibility there that even i can't mess it up!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:39 pm

MikeM wrote:
Habs4ever wrote:There is so much button pushing that no one will realize they are working hard. I think this will help the time to fly by.
Thanks Lisa.

I like the look of this one too! Adding the incline adds an extra challenge for me since I usually leave it at 0%.

Isn't this what they call the "boiling frog" workout?

The frog in boiling water workout generally doesn't toggle inclines, but yes, it's similar. :)

http://runningmagazine.ca/treadmill-tra ... he-spring/

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:16 pm

scrumhalfgirl wrote:ok, so gradually get faster while going back and forth between 1 and 2% every two minutes? i think there's enough flexibility there that even i can't mess it up!

You make me laugh.

runJrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runJrun » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:11 pm

I like the looks of this one, going to write this one down and give it a go at lunch :)
Jocelyn

I run because it's my passion, and not just a sport. Every time I walk out the door, I know why I'm going where I'm going and I'm already focused on that special place where I find my peace and solitude. Running, to me, is more than just a physical exercise...it's a consistent reward for victory!
- Sasha Azevedo

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:05 pm

I don't think I will be able to do this one this week. Maybe out for the next couple weeks, actually. Between my swim group on Sundays and focusing a bit on tempo and half-marathon pace for the next few weeks... It's a good idea though- I'll save these for another time. :)

Return to “Training ”