Virtual Workout--THURSDAYS....

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Virtual Workout--THURSDAYS....

Postby Habs4ever » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:50 pm

Done. That last mile was really hard, but the music helped to keep me going.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:42 am

Due to a few reasons Jenn and Colleen won't be contributing to this thread for a while.
I'd like to keep it going, but I can't do it myself. I was wondering if anyone wants to give me a hand in coming up with workouts? It's been shown in the past that others are contributing, (which we appreciate) but we all know that there needs to be key people to keep things going.
Any takers?

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:04 pm

Habs4ever wrote:Due to a few reasons Jenn and Colleen won't be contributing to this thread for a while.
I'd like to keep it going, but I can't do it myself. I was wondering if anyone wants to give me a hand in coming up with workouts? It's been shown in the past that others are contributing, (which we appreciate) but we all know that there needs to be key people to keep things going.
Any takers?

I will try Habs! I'll take next week. I think I actually have one in mind.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:13 pm

Yay

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:56 pm

Habs4ever wrote:Due to a few reasons Jenn and Colleen won't be contributing to this thread for a while.
Any takers?

I can look up and post some of my old K2J group track workouts as well.

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:39 pm

I can join in to help, too. Because I did this week's run last week, I did Lauren Fleshman's workout for this week today (that's a confusing sentence!). It was 4 x (2 x 800m) working to 5k pace. With wu & cd, it ended up being a good, sweaty 8 miles. We could use her workouts, as well. So far, I'm a fan!
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:50 pm

Just to be clear-- I'll still be here sometimes, but I'm sort of on again off again and feel like I need a break from making the workouts. I may still contribute though. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:00 pm

MikeM wrote:
Any takers?

I can look up and post some of my old K2J group track workouts as well.

Excellent!

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:01 pm

alexk wrote:I can join in to help, too. Because I did this week's run last week, I did Lauren Fleshman's workout for this week today (that's a confusing sentence!). It was 4 x (2 x 800m) working to 5k pace. With wu & cd, it ended up being a good, sweaty 8 miles. We could use her workouts, as well. So far, I'm a fan!

Confusing or not, you're in!

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:50 pm

OK,

Should we use this one for this week (per AlexK)?

It would be something like:

Warm up of choice

2X 800 with one minute recovery (walk/jog)
3 minute recovery jog/walk

repeat 4 times.

800s done at 5K pace?

If you need time saving - you can cut one of the repeats.

I actually won't be doing this this week because I'm racing on Sunday, so I'm doing some RP stuff, but hope everyone enjoys!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:47 pm

I looked up the workout as 1 minute recovery between reps seems awfully short (for me anyway) at 5K pace.

The info I got was 2 minutes between reps and 3 minutes between sets. Correct me if I'm wrong.

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:12 pm

We can go with that Rob. Makes more sense

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:30 pm

I found this link where she states if 2 minute recoveries between reps feels easy, to decrease it by 30 seconds down to one minute.

http://blog.strava.com/wow-flyer800s-9468/

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:02 am

I really like the sound of this work out, but I think it's one that I'll need to save for March break. I don't think that I can fit it into 40 minutes without really, really cutting it short. I need to find something for tomorrow and for Friday, so I'll look today, and I'll check this thread as well to see if anyone has any ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Virtual Workout--THURSDAYS....

Postby Jwolf » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:06 am

You can easily modify this one as 3 x (2 x 800m) and get a lot out of it. With a short warmup and cool down you should be able to get this one in.

Our last 6 x 800m had 2.5-3 min recovery between each interval so this isn't much different- and still a bit harder if the recovery time is shorter.

Also Lauren's version is not all intervals at consistent pace but working down in pace.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:37 pm

So, I liked the sound of this one so much that I decided to do it this morning on the treadmill. :) With the modification of only 3 sets of (2x 800m), which I did with 2 min recovery between the pairs and 3 min recovery between the sets.

The intervals were 7.6, 7.7. and 7.8 mph for each set of two which equates to about 3:58-3:50 for the 800m (or 4:54-4:47/km). The 2 min recoveries were quick, but I got it done (1 min walk, 1 min jog). I couldn't imagine doing any shorter than 2 min. Of course, Lauren Fleshman's slower masters runners are still doing their 800m in under 3 minutes, so relatively speaking they get more recovery time.

Quickchick- I started with a 10 min warmup and did a 5 min walking cooldown-- whole thing took me about 55 min. So it would be a squeeze to fit it into 40 min even with a shorter warmup and your faster interval paces.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:05 pm

Yeah, I did 5 800s a couple weeks ago, and it took about 40 minutes with warm-up and rest in between. Six would be a real stretch. I'm looking forward to doing this at some point, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:08 pm

I did 400m rec rather a timed one (probably about 2 minutes). I didn't bother w/ a longer rec between sets. My pace was progressive, working from 10k to 5k - I changed it after each set of 2.

Because I did this one last week, I'll do something on my own this week - maybe just a long tempo @ a steady pace. I'm away this weekend so it can serve as a longer run, too.

QC: Here are some ideas when you're pressed for time w/ quality: 10 x 2 min hard 1 min easy w/ wu & cd of choice. I usually push the pace in the hard part when I do this (haven't done it in forever though). A 5k time trial might also be fun, w/ a short wu & cd ... I might do one of these over the weekend, when time will be tight.
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:59 pm

So what pace would be appropriate for the 2 min part? With only 1 min between I'd guess... 5k pace? Or faster? This one could work, thanks. I'm not sure I'm mentally tough enough to do a 5k time trial on the TM! I'm good with steady runs or hard runs where I change the pace often, but the idea of going hard for a sustained time just seems brutal. Boring AND super hard, haha. I'll for sure do a time trial when the roads are good again, though. I have a couple good 5k route options near my house.. Ok I'll try the 2/1 thing tomorrow, time willing, and maybe the switchblade or the progression again on Friday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:01 pm

I think I used to start at 5k pace and work my way down. If I do it this week, I'll probably do 5 repeats @ 5k pace and 5 faster than 5k.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:45 am

Ok thanks, good to know. I know I'm faster/fitter than I was in my 5k from September, so I'll guesstimate what pace I'd reasonably run now and then try to do the last 5 progressively faster.

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:25 pm

I forgot to refresh my memory on the exact layout of the workout before I went to the gym so I just ended up doing 6 x 800 at about 5k pace (still not really sure what my current 5k pace would be) with 400m moderate recoveries:

1 km w/u
6 x 800 @ 4:29 with 400m recovery @ 5:30ish
500m c/d

8.5km/42min total

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:27 pm

My run this morning went really well. I did the 2:00 parts at 6:53 per mile (21:30ish 5k pace) for the first 7. Then in the last 3, I upped the pace to 6:48 (21:15 pace) for the last minute and for the whole last one. I felt pretty strong, and I could probably have done more of the faster pace in the last 5. I was just happy that I was able to run all the recoveries easy instead of walking and that I didn't crash in the last few!

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:29 pm

Btw, in case you haven't seen this, it's a useful pace chart. It was great this morning for me to quickly determine what my mile pace on the TM should be based on a few different 5k paces. Sorry, I have no idea how to embed the link with my iPad and I'm not feeling patient enough to try. :)

http://asklaurenfleshman.com/2015/01/pa ... -workouts/

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:33 am

Heading to the track to try the workout this morning.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Return to “Training ”