Figuring this out...

A place for walkers to discuss their unique needs
KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Figuring this out...

Postby KaTyBrown » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:14 pm

Okay all you brainy people out there. Figure this out for me....
:lol:

I walk twice a week approx 3km pushing a wheelchair with patient of abt. 125lbs. Takes about 45-50minutes to complete. So I am just wondering....how many calories am I losing....and how many muscles am I using :?:. Because of the weight being pushed I reallllllyyyyy hope it counts for something of a) weight loss, b) muscle toning and
c) knees getting stronger and not hurting too much. (does it count for extra walking distance??) :D

Okay - get figuring..... have a good weekend all - enjoy the weather :)

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:59 pm

That's a lot to figure out on a weekend. My brain's too tired for that. I know it's good for you... :)
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

Iron-North
Jerome Drayton

Postby Iron-North » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:58 am

Katy it is probably equal to a Marche rapide. Don`t know calorie count....

As for building muscles, i would think that not all that much ''building'' is happening but more of endurance and maintiining all the fonctions of walking in good form. You know like muscles, tendons, bones, the whole frame.....

If you really want to buid muscles, you have to break down the fibres in your muscles. Weight lifting or using your own body weight to do specifics moves that will stress the muscles.

When you work on your muscles, the day rest after is when the building is happening. The muscles restor themselves by building stronger.

And as for calories burning. You certainly will burn more pushing a weight and will probably have more endurance with the time. I would say get stronger...would that mean you are building muscles?? I donno. I confuse myself now :roll: :lol:

I am no scientist...just common sense from my part :wink:
Always North of something ...

Ironman Cozumel 2014
Vancouver to Inuvik on bike 2014

garth
Bill Crothers

Postby garth » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:33 am

http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/activity/487.html

AS for muscle building I would say that there is muscle conditioning and yes you it should be good for muscles around the knee
Please consider the jobs of those in the forest industry before deciding not to print stuff

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:46 am

Thanks for the info. Today the muscles around my problematic knees are not too sore - BONUS! Wish I could rest today but up and down the stairs in the house preparing for dinner party tonight - stairs are good exercise :lol:

Tks agn.
KaTy (Karen)

Return to “Walking”