10 000 steps shallonge DISCUSSION

A place for walkers to discuss their unique needs
Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

10 000 steps shallonge DISCUSSION

Postby Irongirl » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:18 pm

(not sure if this is the right section, but, here I go)

So, in the "sitting is deadly" thread, there was discussion about doing a 10 000 steps challenge.

How do we want to do that?

30 days? Try for 10 000 AVERAGE/day over that time?

Do you count the steps from any runs that you do? (My proposal would be not to - since I'm trying to increase my walking around, I already run!) OR, do your running steps only count 1/2? (an option).

Thoughts? Discuss here! :)

ETA: changed the thread title to the appropriate spelling of "shallonge"
Last edited by Irongirl on Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Re: 10 000 steps challenge DISCUSSION

Postby NewFinnLoper » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:31 pm

Irongirl wrote:Do you count the steps from any runs that you do? (My proposal would be not to - since I'm trying to increase my walking around, I already run!) OR, do your running steps only count 1/2? (an option).

If you are using a pedometer it won't track running the same way...I think they are designed for walking only. And even if you could translate them, many people could just transfer them to walking and they'd be at 10,000 easy. I think you should count walking steps only...It's pretty easy to add them up over the course of a day...(I walk to and from work every day...roughly 4 miles return trip = 10,000 steps right there and that's before adding in any extra steps taken during the day in the office or at home 8) )
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:35 pm

NewFinnLoper wrote:
Irongirl wrote:Do you count the steps from any runs that you do? (My proposal would be not to - since I'm trying to increase my walking around, I already run!) OR, do your running steps only count 1/2? (an option).

If you are using a pedometer it won't track running the same way...I think they are designed for walking only. And even if you could translate them, many people could just transfer them to walking and they'd be at 10,000 easy. I think you should count walking steps only...It's pretty easy to add them up over the course of a day...(I walk to and from work every day...roughly 4 miles return trip = 10,000 steps right there and that's before adding in any extra steps taken during the day in the office or at home 8) )

I used a pedometer once for a challenge like that, and, I did find that it was pretty accurate for running (i.e. 1000 steps/km or so)....

It IS easy to add up walking steps if you have opportunities to walk! I currently take the bus to work, sit at a desk all day, take the bus home, and then take care of Delilah/put her to bed, and plunk myself on my laptop (or go for a run!)......so, it will be a challenge for me.

But, yes, I don't think I'll count running steps - since I'd like to ADD the walking steps to my current regime. When I walked to/from work, I had so many more steps in my day!
i run for me.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:37 pm

I'd like to just count my walking steps. Can we chose a "a start date" for this challenge...and I promise to look for my pedometer!
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:40 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:I'd like to just count my walking steps. Can we chose a "a start date" for this challenge...and I promise to look for my pedometer!

propose a start date!

(I propose next Monday)
i run for me.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:46 pm

Irongirl wrote:
Jo-Jo wrote:I'd like to just count my walking steps. Can we chose a "a start date" for this challenge...and I promise to look for my pedometer!

propose a start date!

(I propose next Monday)

I was thinking the same date too!!. Will we post our steps here. I'm thinking perhaps every Monday we can post the week's summary. (list each day). Or do you want to report in more often?
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:52 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:
Irongirl wrote:

propose a start date!

(I propose next Monday)

I was thinking the same date too!!. Will we post our steps here. I'm thinking perhaps every Monday we can post the week's summary. (list each day). Or do you want to report in more often?

weekly summary would be good - should we choose "levels" of achievement?

i.e. 10 000 average/day over 30 days = GOLD
9 000 = SILVER
8 000 = BRONZE
4 000 = GET MOVING!?
i run for me.

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:59 pm

I was doing some quick calculations to see how it might relate to dog walking.

If your average stride length is .75 Meters (750cm / 30in / 2.5ft) 'ish then you need to walk 7.5km per day to accomplish the 10,000 strides/day.

Walking Strider I usually cover 1km in about 12.5 minutes with sniffs here and there, it is not a brisk walk, so I need to walk him for 1.5 hours a day to cover that. Generally it is about 1/2 an hour, mornings and evenings, so still need to walk 2.5km throughout the day. Maybe, but doubtful.

10,000 is a tough goal.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:01 pm

Wingfoot wrote:I was doing some quick calculations to see how it might relate to dog walking.

If your average stride length is .75 Meters (750cm / 30in / 2.5ft) 'ish then you need to walk 7.5km per day to accomplish the 10,000 strides/day.

Walking Strider I usually cover 1km in about 12.5 minutes with sniffs here and there, it is not a brisk walk, so I need to walk him for 1.5 hours a day to cover that. Generally it is about 1/2 an hour, mornings and evenings, so still need to walk 2.5km throughout the day. Maybe, but doubtful.

10,000 is a tough goal.

oh, I know it's a tough goal! I don't even walk Sheamus (he runs himself in the backyard - maybe I'll attach my pedometer to him!)....but, knowing that I'm wearing the stupid thing, I usually walk more!
i run for me.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:20 pm

I need to find mine too!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Re: 10 000 steps shallonge DISCUSSION

Postby Irongirl » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:48 pm

FIND your pedometers!

I'll start a new thread on Monday - and you may notice that I've changed the thread title. ;)
i run for me.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:54 pm

But I would walk 10,000 steps
And I would walk 10,000 more
Just to be the man who walks twenty thousand steps
To fall down at your door

da da da da da da da da
da da da da da da da da

Da Da Da Dun Diddle Un Diddle Un Diddle Uh Da

da da da da da da da da
da da da da da da da da

Da Da Da Dun Diddle Un Diddle Un Diddle Uh Da
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:01 pm

Irongirl wrote:
Wingfoot wrote:I was doing some quick calculations to see how it might relate to dog walking.

10,000 is a tough goal.

oh, I know it's a tough goal! I don't even walk Sheamus (he runs himself in the backyard - maybe I'll attach my pedometer to him!)....but, knowing that I'm wearing the stupid thing, I usually walk more!

Me too! I'm in, and Raven will love you for it. I'll finally get out and walk her a bit. My pedometer is on my bed-side stand where I left it 3 months ago.
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:02 pm

According to this page: http://tinyurl.com/yenz73s
10,000 steps is equal to a 30-60 minute brisk walk. That doesn't sound like enough, though.... if it's equal to 10K of running?

edit: further calculation reveals that this is not right--- you need to walk about 75-90 minutes to get in 10,000 steps.
Last edited by Jwolf on Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:09 pm

Here's my math -

Little Steps

10000 steps = 20000 feet = 6 km = 60 minutes at brisk pace

Big steps

10000 steps = 30000 feet = 9 km = 40 minutes at brisk pace

Works for me.

I'm starting tonight. I'll walk briskly for 45 minutes and report back.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:48 am

Turd Ferguson wrote:Here's my math -

Little Steps

10000 steps = 20000 feet = 6 km = 60 minutes at brisk pace

Big steps

10000 steps = 30000 feet = 9 km = 40 minutes at brisk pace

Works for me.

I'm starting tonight. I'll walk briskly for 45 minutes and report back.

Who can walk 9km in 40 minute?

When I googled, most of the hits I got said 10,000 steps was 5 miles - which for me would be about 75 minutes of walking.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:31 am

Jwolf wrote:According to this page: http://tinyurl.com/yenz73s
10,000 steps is equal to a 30-60 minute brisk walk. That doesn't sound like enough, though.... if it's equal to 10K of running?

10k of running is about 60 minutes ;)

is it bad that because I didn't find my pedometer (I didn't look for it), I didn't think to try to add extra steps this morning?!
i run for me.

garth
Bill Crothers

Postby garth » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:04 am

Irongirl wrote:is it bad that because I didn't find my pedometer (I didn't look for it), I didn't think to try to add extra steps this morning?!

Yes it is (ha ha JK)

Actually found one last night and used it out for a walk and it recorded 6400 steps for a 5 k walk on icy sidewalks and roads. I am wearing it today and will see how it goes. This is going to be interesting. First days are going to set a base line of what I actually do now and then I will start to try for the 10.000 step level.
Please consider the jobs of those in the forest industry before deciding not to print stuff

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:19 am

The only thing I hate about pedometers is (and I know in the grand scheme it only accounts for ~10 steps or so) when I go to the bathroom and have to pull my pants down it registers the motions of frigging with my pants as steps...

I'm just OCD* enough to want only steps counted as steps. If I could strap it to my thigh (Wii Fit Plus style) I would. And because I have a subconscious habit of counting everything (steps up the stairs, steps down the stairs, steps from my desk to the coffee maker, etc) I check the pedometer and if it is inaccurate it really bothers me.

*Scotty says its actually CDO because I have to have the letters in alphabetical order.

/rant and admission of neuroses
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:41 pm

Irongirl wrote:
Jwolf wrote:According to this page: http://tinyurl.com/yenz73s

10k of running is about 60 minutes ;)

For us it us, yes. :) That's my point-- I know that 10,000 steps in running is about 10K, which is why it seems unreasonable that you could get in 10,000 steps walking in 30 minutes or anything under 60 minutes.

OK, here's the real calculation:

10,000 steps in 60 minutes is 166 steps per minute, or a little under the 180 cadence that I usually do while running. That's a pretty fast walk! If I remember correctly, I usually walk about 100-120 steps per minute, so 10,000 steps WALKING would take me about 90 minutes (as Strider said). I can see faster speed-walking getting you about 140 steps per minute, or closer to 75 minutes. If you were to do 10,000 steps in 30 minutes, that's 333 steps/minute. Not happening.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:09 pm

my free "get cracking" pedometer isn't working.

I need a pedometer!
i run for me.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:06 pm

Whatever you do, don't use those free cereal box ones-- they log about 4 steps for every real step.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:00 pm

I screwed up the math - sorry.

I got a free pedometer at work (sorry, we don't have any more) and I "calibrated" it last night by checking it, walking 200 steps, and checking it again. Bang-on. If you're going to calibrate yours, remember to count both the left and right leg as a step.

braveheart
Lynn Williams

Postby braveheart » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:10 pm

I am going to look out my pedometer. I have lots of opportunity to walk around at work and can use my recess time to get some in as well.
I am having difficulty getting moving the way I used to and this seems to be a great way to get back into being mindful about moving my body.
I will start Monday!
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
Don't give up before the miracle.
**formerly campbellskid**

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:37 pm

So, I was thinking about this today - since I know that 3 of us (Jesse, myself and braveheart) won't have our pedometers Monday morning....

.....and, taking into account Garth's comment about setting a baseline....

What if we used the first week to set a baseline - find out what your average is for the week....then, next week (we could even just use February 1st), start the shallonge, and, the goal could be to increase your steps by 10, 15 or 25 % over your baseline.

thoughts?
i run for me.

Return to “Walking”