Checking out "Around the Moon" route... with pics

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
runcherylrun
Bill Crothers

Checking out "Around the Moon" route... with pics

Postby runcherylrun » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:51 pm

This past weekend my girlfriend Audrey & I headed out to gorgeous Riding Mtn. National Park to check out the route for my first ever trail run “AROUND THE MOON” happening in a couple of weeks.

The 10k route actually skirts right around Moon Lake & since it was a picture perfect weekend weather wise we thought we’d just tent it right there.

Audrey couldn’t get away till later in the morning Saturday so I got up early & got my 12 mile run in out on the lakefront before leaving. (can’t miss a run)

We arrived late Saturday afternoon & found a camping spot. Not wanting to waste any daylight we left everything locked up in the vehicle & went out to find the trail. The idea was for the two of us to walk it Saturday & me run to it Sunday morning.

We soon found the trail & started off. I brought my camera to take some pics – mostly so I could show Dwayne & quiz him on expectations.

It was a real eye opener, a very narrow track, lots of elevation changes, and seems to have a little of everything – rocks, roots, grass, bush, dirt……and wildlife. The scenery, when you can see thru the bush is breathtaking.

I was really glad I “ran” it again on Sunday, it seemed to “look & feel” much different when your running as opposed to walking. The trail is very “technical” at the beginning, and more uphill, it gets a little smoother the second half. There’s a half-mile loop around the two camping sites, which should give us a bit of a breather before hitting the trail again.

Here’s some pics ……………….

All kinds of terrain on this trail – lots & lots of elevation changes:Image

There were rocks……………

There were trees ……………….Image

And there was wildlife……….. this cow & calf moose were in no hurry to move, I was shaking my bear bell & yelling & screaming but they just sauntered along – unfortunately the sun kind of obscured the picture…………Image

But the view was spectacular………… whether you were way up above………Image

or right at lake level…………..

So ………… does this look like a “typical” trail ??? How does it compare to Blackfoot or some of those in the east??

I’ve got to say I was pretty intimidated – it’s like nothing I’ve ever done & I’m beginning to question whether 30k may be a bit more than I’m capable of. I did run it on “tired” legs having put in 18 miles of running & hiking the day before - I’m hoping being a little fresher race day will make the difference.

But whatever happens it will be a great weekend cause I’ll be sharing a new adventure with some great maniac friends.

Now……….. Who all is in? Dwayne I know your coming. Karen are you? How about you Jill?? Colleen ??? Ian, man you’d absolutely love this 10k if only for the scenery !!
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Helen Keller

dwayne_runs_far
Bill Crothers

Postby dwayne_runs_far » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:09 pm

The trail looks a bit more technical than the Blackfoot, mainly because it is narrower and rockier. If you take a look at this this photo Image
you'll see how wide and relatively smooth the trail there is.

I have to admit the Moon Lake trail is probably going to be a bit tougher than I thought. I ran some trails around Grey Wolf's cabin a couple years ago and they were more like the Blackfoot ones, wider and more grass.

The hills are pretty much what I expected for that part of the province, mind you, any hill is big for us flatlanders :-)

Dwayne
I run distance because I want to be in good shape when I die.
--
Friends don't let friends do anything stupid.
Alone.
Blackfoot 2007.

dwayne_runs_far
Bill Crothers

Postby dwayne_runs_far » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:11 pm

Oops, I forgot to add, Natalie is doing the 20k too!!!

Dwayne

--

Alone.

Blackfoot 2007.

hmacdonald
Bill Crothers

Postby hmacdonald » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:56 pm

Yep, that would be why that trail is considered to be a more difficult one in the trail book that Rob had.

I'm not sure that I would be able to run it, but I'd sure like to hike it... and now I'm HOMESICK for Clear Lake!!!!

Do you have any ideas how many nights we went out spotting for moose before we saw any? You were lucky!!

Lx2run
Tom Longboat

Postby Lx2run » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:46 pm

Call me crazt but it's scenary like those pictures that really make me want to run trails

I just need to move closer to the wilds
Do all the good you are able to-
Any time you are able
Every way you are able
Every where you are able
For everyone you can...
Until you are able to again
-Haitian Proverb

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:25 pm

It looks harder than the Official trail runs that I have done - although Sulphur Springs is hard in spots.

The photos do remind me though of the trails that we run here in Batawa. Lots of jumping over things and dodging poison ivy, running through a foot of water (in the wet season), going down hills that you have to be careful you don't slide in the gravel and take a tumble.

The races that we do in the conservation areas seem to be more tame, and look in spots like the photo that Dwayne where the trail is "groomed." Run for the Toad is like that in the meadow. But there are other spots that are more technical but nothing that I would say would be really difficult. Sulphur Springs has the gully that you practically have to climb on your hands and knees.

I've never seen a moose on any runs, but we have seen deer a few times (including on the air base right in the PMQs).
Jane

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:38 pm

hmacdonald wrote:Yep, that would be why that trail is considered to be a more difficult one in the trail book that Rob had.

I'm not sure that I would be able to run it, but I'd sure like to hike it... and now I'm HOMESICK for Clear Lake!!!!

Do you have any ideas how many nights we went out spotting for moose before we saw any? You were lucky!!

I know exactly what you mean. I did a bunch of running when we were out there last month, towards Camp Wannakumbak (!!!) and it was spectacular, but very technical in places, much more than we would have out here.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

dwayne_runs_far
Bill Crothers

Postby dwayne_runs_far » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:02 pm

On Parks Canada site it refers to the trail as being rated difficult because of it's length and the potential for wetness in the low lying areas. As long as the rain holds off in the next couple weeks, we should be OK

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/mb/riding/act ... e.asp#moon

Thanks again for the scouting trip Cheryl!!!

Dwayne

--

Alone.

Blackfoot 2007.

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”