Reflections

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
Albertatraildog
Bruce Kidd

Reflections

Postby Albertatraildog » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:00 pm

Well, my first Ultra season has come to a close. All in all, I have to think that it was a great success and an amazing journey. The germ of the idea sprouted in my mind 5 years ago when I was asked to crew a fellow running the Leadville Trail 100. I thought he was a little bit nuts. But I am fond of nuts, so this year I made the leap from Masters T&F to Ultras and ended up running 5 of them (completing 4 - we won't talk about LostSouls).

Now that the points are calculated and the season is done, I'm wondering what others out there are doing over the winter months? Are you taking some time off, befor ramping back up again, or do you train right through the winter-time?

dwayne_runs_far
Bill Crothers

Postby dwayne_runs_far » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:04 pm

This was my first year to do an ultra (Blackfoot 100k) and even though I've got one more to go this year (a 50k on 23 Sept) I am already planning out the races I want to do in 2007. With the scheduling and the scope of what I want to take on, it's going to mean a bit of slacking in October, then right back into training for November when I start with a coach.

For 2007 I'm doing the Blackfoot 100k again (May) and then tackling my first 100 miler in August. The ultra theme will continue with a two day fast packing race in September. Along the way I'll be doing some shorter races starting with an 18 miler in March.

A big part of October to Feb will be doing weights 3 times a week and yoga once a week to keep everything strong and flexible so I'm ready to start ramping up the miles in January.

I doubt that my weekly mileage will fall below 25 miles anywhere along the line though; the intensity will drop a bit in the short term though.

Dwayne
I run distance because I want to be in good shape when I die.
--
Friends don't let friends do anything stupid.
Alone.
Blackfoot 2007.

Albertatraildog
Bruce Kidd

Postby Albertatraildog » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:19 pm

Hey Dwayne, I have two great photos of you at Blackfoot. In fact we were standing right beside each other at the start line (I was the person wearing the gray long sleve shirt and black shorts on your left). Send me your email address if you would like a copy. (Files are 2.5M each).

Size5
Lynn Williams

Re: Reflections

Postby Size5 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:32 pm

Albertatraildog wrote:I'm wondering what others out there are doing over the winter months? Are you taking some time off, befor ramping back up again, or do you train right through the winter-time?

:? I"m still trying to recover from Lost souls and regrow skin on my feet!

Seriously, I'm looking for a bit of down time. Origianally I wanted to do LSU and then go on and try for a 1/2 marathon PB but I'm done for the season. I think I want to cross train in Sept/Oct/Nov and then ramp back up for ultra season #3 next year. Some of it depends on what I would need to do in an effort to have a succssful third season.

Probably the winter months will consist of progressively longer LSD and hopefully lots of snowshoeing as the cross train. I'm kind of waiting to see what kind of fire gets ignited in me during the down months. Right now, the dream is for two ultras next year one of which HAS to be lost souls because I need a new ROCK!

S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

Ed Fizz
Bill Crothers

Postby Ed Fizz » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:35 pm

dsandall wrote:Along the way I'll be doing some shorter races starting with an 18 miler in March.

:shock:

dwayne_runs_far
Bill Crothers

Postby dwayne_runs_far » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:49 pm

Ed Fizz wrote:
dsandall wrote:Along the way I'll be doing some shorter races starting with an 18 miler in March.

And it's across a lake... frozen of course :-)
I run distance because I want to be in good shape when I die.

--

Friends don't let friends do anything stupid.

Alone.

Blackfoot 2007.

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:06 pm

dsandall wrote:
Ed Fizz wrote:

And it's across a lake... frozen of course :-)

Uphill both ways :wink:

S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

RonPerth
Bruce Kidd

Postby RonPerth » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:18 am

Me I did three 50k's this year, and next year I hope to make those 50 milers.
I had my downtime during August with my broken collarbone, so now I'm ramping back up. In a couple of weeks after my pace bunny fling at the Toronto marathon, I'll start Maffetone low-heart-rate bike and run training and core exercises for the rest of the fall, then start building in January for an early season 1/2 Ironman.
I had planned to do it this year and never did, but next year I really really want to get down into New York and Vermont for a couple of races. From my area, its closer than going to the Toronto area.

Ron

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:21 pm

Well, I'm not really an ultra runner because I only trail run as high as 25K. But we do trail run here all winter long. It is even better in the winter -- no bugs to deal with, the bears are sleeping and once the hunting season is over, no hunters to worry about shooting us.

We love to run in the snow - well until it gets up to our knees and makes running almost impossible. Fortunately we get a pretty good freeze/thaw cycle here all winter. Last winter we didn't miss a week, I don't think. There are always some nice surprises like deer tracks, snow covered branches, and occasionally a few inches of water underneath the snow! :shock: There is never a dull moment trail running in the winter!

This one was taken in March - the snow was mostly gone - just the icy patches!

Jane

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”