WHy i realize trail running is not for me

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
braveheart
Lynn Williams

WHy i realize trail running is not for me

Postby braveheart » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:03 pm

I tried to run on the grass as opposed to the sidewalk tonight...ya i could barely run without nearly rolling over on my ankle

me and trails would not get along
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
Don't give up before the miracle.
**formerly campbellskid**

Agent Provocateur
Bill Crothers

Postby Agent Provocateur » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:04 pm

But that's why trail running would be GOOD for you - strengthen the ankles and develop proprioception. :P
Love life, eat plants, do yoga.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:06 pm

Agent Provocateur wrote:proprioception

I don't think I can pronounce that. lol

proprioception

n : the ability to sense the position and location and orientation and movement of the body and its parts
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Agent Provocateur
Bill Crothers

Postby Agent Provocateur » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:08 pm

THat's what Garry my massage therapist told me anyway. :lol:
Love life, eat plants, do yoga.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:36 pm

Agent Provocateur wrote:But that's why trail running would be GOOD for you - strengthen the ankles and develop proprioception. :P

I know exactly what you mean. I have terrible ankles from years of volleyball and baseball, but with trail running I've learned to sense my footing without looking, and when a foot is on unsteady ground, to "unweight" that foot quickly.

The closest thing I can compare it to is skiing where when you're "in the zone" you're sensing what each ski is doing and subtly shifting your weight and balance to keep the slippery side down.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:12 am

Les,
Running on grass is not the same thing as running on trails. Start off on gravel trails without much uneveness... you'll like it! Someone shouldn't switch to all trail running at once, of course.

Running on trails is really great for developing those small muscles in the feet (arches, ankles, and all those ones that no one knows how to name except natalie :P). And in general it's easier on the joints like the knees... which is why most ultrarunners do LOTS of the training on trails. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

SuperboB
Bill Crothers

Postby SuperboB » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:31 am

Dirt trails are fun. Trail running isn't such a great evening activity because you can't see the bumps and holes.
Up next...
More running!

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:36 am

Ditto on the bad ankles (years of volleyball!), and Nat is right about the proprioreception- my older sister (the physio) is always bugging me to run on dirt roads, trails, grass etc. to help, although she did say to wait til after my marathon.

Grass is by far the worst surface i find.
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:45 am

I agree that grass is spooky for me... You can't see the holes and things like that, so I'm constantly looking down. Yet another one with a bad ankle here.

Dirt, or a path through pine trees (plus you get the smell sensation!) is amazing... I compare it to running on carpet almost.. nice and cushy. I didn't even mind the mulch/woodchips at Paradise Lake!
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

dwayne_runs_far
Bill Crothers

Postby dwayne_runs_far » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:03 am

Jwolf wrote:Les,
Running on grass is not the same thing as running on trails. Start off on gravel trails without much uneveness... you'll like it! Someone shouldn't switch to all trail running at once, of course.

Running on trails is really great for developing those small muscles in the feet (arches, ankles, and all those ones that no one knows how to name except natalie :P). And in general it's easier on the joints like the knees... which is why most ultrarunners do LOTS of the training on trails. :)

Actually, the trail surfaces vary quite a bit; often it depends on where you are geographically. About half the trails I run on are grass - the rest are dirt/pea gravel and even a bit of singletrack game trails. Case in point, the Blackfoot 25k trail is about 85% grass :-)

Grass is a great surface to get started on, but only if it is something like a high school football field or soccer pitch, as it will be quite even and spongy. A poor grass surface to start out on is the boulevards, a park area or another area that might not be so smooth. With gravel surfaces, it should be the hard packed pea gravel type, not the loose gravel with stones 10 mm and larger, as they're very easy to roll on funny.

Like anything start on different surfaces slowly, all the smaller stabilizer muscles that don't have to do much road running will get a workout that you'll most likely feel!

One thing to be really careful about at this time of year is wet leaves on a slope! They are incredibly slippery!!! They look gorgeous, all the bright fall colours laid at your feet, but you want to stay off your butt.

Give it another try on a smoother surface, you might get hooked :-)

Dwayne
I run distance because I want to be in good shape when I die.
--
Friends don't let friends do anything stupid.
Alone.
Blackfoot 2007.

BaldGuy
Jerome Drayton

Postby BaldGuy » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:53 am

Lesley, you need to go for a real trail run to see whether it's really something you're not cut out for -- you might absolutely get hooked! Barbara took me out for three gruelling hours at Albion Hills, and I was hooked afterward.

I keep thinking we should organize some Southern Ontario maniacs to go for a short trail run on a Saturday up there, just for the fun of it.
BG

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:58 am

I don't like running on grass, either. Trails are fun, though. I also have poor proprioceptive ability and roll my ankles quite easily. My AT suggested a wobble board to help that, or even practicing standing on one leg with your eyes closed.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:02 pm

BaldGuy wrote:Lesley, you need to go for a real trail run to see whether it's really something you're not cut out for -- you might absolutely get hooked! Barbara took me out for three gruelling hours at Albion Hills, and I was hooked afterward.

I keep thinking we should organize some Southern Ontario maniacs to go for a short trail run on a Saturday up there, just for the fun of it.

That, I would do in an instant... (cause someone is thinking 5Peaks for 2007...)

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:05 pm

BaldGuy wrote:Lesley, you need to go for a real trail run to see whether it's really something you're not cut out for -- you might absolutely get hooked! Barbara took me out for three gruelling hours at Albion Hills, and I was hooked afterward.

Plan! There are lots of places to choose from. I like Hilton Falls because it has a wide range of trails from easy and flat to Bruce Trail rocky. So you can try what you want and when. Right now my weekends are a little busy though.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:21 pm

Doonst wrote:

Plan! There are lots of places to choose from. I like Hilton Falls because it has a wide range of trails from easy and flat to Bruce Trail rocky. So you can try what you want and when. Right now my weekends are a little busy though.

I'm in- maybe late November? I like Albion Hills, or we could all meet at one end of a Bruce Trail Transect, and then park one car at the start and one at the end... some of the milton area ones are nice.

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:29 pm

If you wanted to plan a trail run somewhere a bit to the east of COTU, I could probably round up some people from here to meet and run with you. Not sure where the trails would be though. And we are busy on 21 Oct, 12 Nov and 25 Nov - running races!

I don't know if I could convince them to drive any more than an hour or so.....
Jane

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:34 pm

prats wrote:
Doonst wrote:

I'm in- maybe late November? I like Albion Hills, or we could all meet at one end of a Bruce Trail Transect, and then park one car at the start and one at the end... some of the milton area ones are nice.

There are indeed a lot of options. Hilton Falls, in the Milton area, would be better for beginners, and less intimidating than a Bruce Trail point to point. Although of course I'd be up for that as well!!
next up:

One fine day
One fine day

BaldGuy
Jerome Drayton

Postby BaldGuy » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:41 pm

I'm probably good the weekend of November 18 or December 2 ... November 25 is bad. Of course I'd also have to confirm with MrsBG -- I'm already racing twice in November, which translates to long days of solo parenting.
BG

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:58 pm

I second a vote for Hilton Falls. It is a great choice! It has a great loop (22k) that will take you through all kinds of terrain! I would love to meet up with others for a trail run.

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:04 pm

Kristi wrote:I second a vote for Hilton Falls. It is a great choice! It has a great loop (22k) that will take you through all kinds of terrain! I would love to meet up with others for a trail run.

And, it has a lot of little loops, 4-5 K each, that you can stack and repeat. Something for everybody, including (esp.) those people dipping their toe in for the first time.

http://www.conservationhalton.on.ca/ShowCategory.cfm?subCatID=1084

http://www.conservationhalton.on.ca/uploads/Hilton%20Falls%20Trail%20Guide%20reprint%202004.pdf
next up:

One fine day
One fine day

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:07 pm

BaldGuy wrote:I'm probably good the weekend of November 18 or December 2 ...

Both great for me if we planned for Saturdays... Sundays are out for me for the next bit....

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:08 pm

I can do most weekends except the first weekend in November (i'll be in sunny florida!!!) and the 2/3rd of December... this will be FUN!

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:19 pm

Satudays work for me. Should we start a new thread with its own subject? Also extend an invition to newbys like CK and Dave Grant.
next up:

One fine day
One fine day

SusanD
Bill Crothers

Postby SusanD » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:37 pm

I'd love to join in. Might work for me... 'cept I'm not a morning person (at all!). Just how early are you guys thinking of being out there?
Done: Full 2, 30k 2, 25k 1, Half 11, 13k 2, 10k 2, 8k 1, 5k 20 ...
Hmmm... this needs an update!

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:22 pm

SusanD wrote:I'd love to join in. Might work for me... 'cept I'm not a morning person (at all!). Just how early are you guys thinking of being out there?

Well we won't have to run really early to avoid soaring afternoon heat. I'm easy.
next up:

One fine day
One fine day

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”