training plans

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
ultraslacker
Site Admin

training plans

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:27 pm

well I have a rough outline for what I plan to do to prep for blackfoot... at least the long runs are planned out.

I plan to do a step-back every other week, but not a drastic step-back (ie, those weeks are still 30+ miles). I'll only run 3 days on those weeks. This way I can get the rest I need but still have decent mileage. On the high weeks, I'll be doing 4 days--the extra will be the day after the long run, but not as long.

I hope to go all the way up to 25 miles on the long runs but we'll see how it goes!

so... what's everyone else's plan? (especially those doing their first 50k ;)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:50 pm

I don't really have a plan etched in stone yet. All I know at the moment is:
50 K - May 5
I'm doing a couple of races before then and I will also try to taper about 2 weeks before the 50k.
Races/runs I'm doing:
30 K or 42.2 K at the 3 Dolla Bill - Jan.21 - I'll see how I feel
21.1 K at the Peterborough Half - Feb.25
21.1 K at the Chilly Half - Mar.4
30 K at the Aroung the Bay - Mar.25
21.1 K at the Urban Burn - Apr.22 (if the race is on) :?

I'd like to do a 34-35 k run between Jan.25 and Feb.18. and ideally another one around early April a week or 2 after the ATB 30k.

I don't run on consecutive days, which means I have 3-4 runs every week. I do one LSD on weekends, 1 run with hills and 1 tempo run... roughly and depending on my schedule/life in general on any given week.

I'm going into this with the hopes that I finish the 50k in 5:20 or under. More importantly, I'm just curious to cover the distance. I have my eyes set on the Niagara 50k in late June.
Ultrarunner again

rune163
Bill Crothers

Postby rune163 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:51 pm

you can alternate between high mileage weeks and more tempo run weeks

ie. nothing but slow long runs one week with a decent distance LSD run and then shorter more tempo runs the next week. keeps a great balance and doesn't let you get too carried away with mileage.

rune

arestall320
Bill Crothers

Postby arestall320 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:30 pm

I plan on treating it like a Marathon as per daily totals (maybe a bit higher?) but with definatly higher weekly totals in preperation for 100k later in the year.

I dont like to set anything in stone as for training so thats about as official as I get :D
"I don’t train. I just run my 3-15 miles a day."
Jack Foster

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:40 pm

I'm going to focus primarily on half marathon training between now and Chilly half, but still doing a lot of basebuilding... pretty much just keeping my mileage up (60-80K/week), but no really long runs.

Then I'm going to jump into a 12 week Pfitzinger plan for my May marathon, and just continue on with it after the marathon for the six weeks until my ultra.

My ultra (Niagara) looks much easier than Blackfoot, so I'm just going to treat it like a marathon with 45 extra minutes of "hang in there baby" tacked on at the end.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:44 pm

ultrarune wrote:you can alternate between high mileage weeks and more tempo run weeks

ie. nothing but slow long runs one week with a decent distance LSD run and then shorter more tempo runs the next week. keeps a great balance and doesn't let you get too carried away with mileage.

rune

this I can *try* to do, although what little speed I had last summer (and that wasn't much!) seems to have disappeared with winter... I think it's partly the conditions and all the layers I have to wear! Lately it's been all one pace. But I will try. :)

I figure all these mountain hikes have to be benefiting my legs somehow too!

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:46 pm

arestall320 wrote:I plan on treating it like a Marathon as per daily totals (maybe a bit higher?) but with definatly higher weekly totals in preperation for 100k later in the year.

I dont like to set anything in stone as for training so thats about as official as I get :D

yeah mine is really loose too... I have tried having rigid plans and found that I couldn't follow them and got frustrated... this way as long as I get a bunch of good long runs in I'll be happy... the rest I'll play by ear. :)

we have to go out and run the blackfoot route one of these days (if it's runable yet...).

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:47 pm

dgrant wrote:I'm going to focus primarily on half marathon training between now and Chilly half, but still doing a lot of basebuilding... pretty much just keeping my mileage up (60-80K/week), but no really long runs.

Then I'm going to jump into a 12 week Pfitzinger plan for my May marathon, and just continue on with it after the marathon for the six weeks until my ultra.

My ultra (Niagara) looks much easier than Blackfoot, so I'm just going to treat it like a marathon with 45 extra minutes of "hang in there baby" tacked on at the end.

are you racing your marathon or using it as a long run?

eta: I kinda wish there was one around here timed properly so that I could use it as a long run... that'd be fun...

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:58 pm

klewlis wrote:are you racing your marathon or using it as a long run?

eta: I kinda wish there was one around here timed properly so that I could use it as a long run... that'd be fun...

The London Marathon will be my A race for sure. I'll just be treating the Niagara 50K as an icebreaker into the ultra world...

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:02 pm

dgrant wrote:

The London Marathon will be my A race for sure. I'll just be treating the Niagara 50K as an icebreaker into the ultra world...

going for 3:20? ;)

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:06 pm

dgrant wrote:

Dave you're on the NCM list as well? Are you planning to do both?
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:16 pm

Doonst wrote:
dgrant wrote:

Dave you're on the NCM list as well? Are you planning to do both?

Yep, I'll just be doing NCM purely for fun. Might even switch to the half if that's what the old bod tells me to do.

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”